• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

JesterM

Reaction score
White cotton chinos

Pleated or flat fronted? (I'm guessing flat fronted)

Cuffed or uncuffed? (I'm guessing cuffed)

What shoes go well with these? (I'm guessing they're pretty versitile and it would depend on what's worn up top, so the real question is are there any major DON'TS).

Motorsport226

Reaction score
Originally Posted by JesterM
White cotton chinos

What shoes go well with these? (I'm guessing they're pretty versitile and it would depend on what's worn up top, so the real question is are there any major DON'TS).

A major don't would be white shoes.

Also, I'm not sure lighter shades (cream/light tan colored suede chukkas) would look good either. IMO

NOBD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by wingin' it
That's the one! Thank you very much for the reply. Great find to a great earlier post.

You're welcome.

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
White cotton chinos Pleated or flat fronted? (I'm guessing flat fronted) Cuffed or uncuffed? (I'm guessing cuffed) What shoes go well with these? (I'm guessing they're pretty versitile and it would depend on what's worn up top, so the real question is are there any major DON'TS).
Flat front. Cuffed or not, however you normally wear chinos. It's a matter of taste. If you're guessing cuffed, that probably means that that look appeals to you more, go with it. They're fairly versatile, but no plain black. Black/white spectator would work, but if you want to wear a solid shoe make it brown. And if you're doing a two tone shoe, as long as it's got white you're golden. Going more casual, suede would look nice, and would match the lower formality of the chino. For causal wear, grey chucks or something along those lines are perfect. And go with a light colored, fun sock. Powder blue would be quite nice, especially with a brown shoe. White is of course acceptable, but not if they're athletic socks.

poissa

Reaction score
where can I get some fun socks solid colors or striped for a reasonable price?

EZETHATSME

Reaction score
Originally Posted by poissa
where can I get some fun socks solid colors or striped for a reasonable price?

Target often has them fairly cheap, also The Gap.

EZ

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lizzard
i dont want to iron it, bc im lazy today. But i will. thanks
I've heard hanging it up and leaving it in the bathroom during a hot steamy shower can "dewrinkle" a shirt. in my experience trying it a few times, it sorta works, buy ironing works much better.
Originally Posted by Keon
Need a slim fitting nazy blazer, OTR, quick! I'm a 38L but I suppose a 38R might work as long as its not too short. Also, should I stay away from blends and just go for true wool? Thanks.
uhhh, that's just way too open ended Keon. I don't even know where to start giving recommendations. Do generally stick to mostly wool blends though, always check the label.
White cotton chinos

pleats up to you, though I think front is better. personally I like cuffs on my chinos, keeps them weighed down nicely. Do note if these are "summer" ones, you might want to hem them a bit shorter then normal incase you wear sandals. As for shoes, boat shoes work, sandals, chukkus maybe? I don't think it's that complicated.
oh, and, pure white is generally not "recommended". if possible stick to just off white colors like cream, beige, etc.

wagthesam

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So I applied obenaufs to my ae parks aves because there was some salt damage, and ended up applying too much. Now the leather looks very greasy and has a matte finish even after a polish.

Is there any way of fixing this?

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by vtechnwn
What are good high-end pants? I keep on seeing Incotex and Mabitex popping up on the B&S forums.
good question, good answer.
1159[1].gif

Imco0l

Reaction score
Originally Posted by vtechnwn
What are good high-end pants? I keep on seeing Incotex and Mabitex popping up on the B&S forums. Besides those two brands, I mean.

i like some nom de guerre

TrailofTears

Reaction score
Can someone tell me if it's possible to have a tailor let the width out on the arms of a suit jacket? I picked up a RLBL in my size, but if I bend my arms they really stress the fabric. I don't even understand, because I'm pretty damn lean by anyone's standards. Thanks for the help/replies.

SodanTiger

Reaction score
Any thoughts on this shirt/tie combo? I was told my a fashionable co-worker that big men shouldn't wear pastel ties.
4463826550_ea5a06fd81.jpg

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SodanTiger
Any thoughts on this shirt/tie combo? I was told my a fashionable co-worker that big men shouldn't wear pastel ties.
It's hard to tell from that washed-out photo, but while the tie is rather uninspiring, the combination doesn't look awful. As for your co-worker's claim, it is true that, all other things being equal, lighter or brighter colors accentuate size and darker or muted colors minimize size. That effect, though, can be pretty minimal, especially if the item in question is relatively small such as a tie. I wouldn't worry about tie colors.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Forum statistics

Threads