• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

musicguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by onix
It fits fine, I don't really see any real problem. This strangely reminds me of MAnton.

Anyway, to be very picky, I would say the shoulder is just slightly too big (which makes the arms look a bit roomy).

Thanks for the input. MAnton2 here I come. haha

I agree about the shoulders/arms, but I think it's manageable. I'll be taking it to a good tailor (Centofanti). We'll see what he has to say. I probably would have been perfect in a 39R... next time.

mjo317

Reaction score
I was looking to buy some extra slim fit shirts from Brooks Brothers, and was wondering what are some staple shirts? I don't own a single dress shirt, so I was looking at the white solid dress shirt, a blue ocbd, and the striped ocbd.

Nervous Wreck

Reaction score
Anyone know how long it takes Drakes of London to ship out orders?

I purchased a few ties on Tuesday but have yet to receive a shipment confirmation email (though I did get a "order acknowledgment" email almost immediately).

Just wondering if this was the norm or if I should contact customer service.

Thanks!

Motorsport226

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mjo317
I was looking to buy some extra slim fit shirts from Brooks Brothers, and was wondering what are some staple shirts? I don't own a single dress shirt, so I was looking at the white solid dress shirt, a blue ocbd, and the striped ocbd.

That sounds like a good start for staples, however don't be afraid to throw in some different colors and patterns for staple shirts in your collection, they all dont have to be a variation of white and blue.

For instance, I have a BB slim fit in a purple/white fine houndstooth pattern and it's become one of my favorites. Especially with spring on the way, try to throw in some greens, yellows, etc. and if you like ocbd's then a light pink striped one would be a good choice as well.

Hope this helps.

JesterM

Reaction score
I may be wrong, but it seems there's a consensus that square toed shoes are to be avoided. I've owned a pair before joining the forum and routinely get complements on them. What exactly is it about them that's so bad?

6520_119_detail.jpg

I'm planning to upgrade shoes and belts as my next venture. Was just curious what was wrong with my current stock.

CunningSmeagol

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JesterM
I may be wrong, but it seems there's a consensus that square toed shoes are to be avoided. I've owned a pair before joining the forum and routinely get complements on them. What exactly is it about them that's so bad?

6520_119_detail.jpg

I'm planning to upgrade shoes and belts as my next venture. Was just curious what was wrong with my current stock.

eh.gif
Just buy some good shoes and wear the around a bit. You will notice a huge quality difference. And people won't like them as much, but you will transcend.

musicguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

6520_119_detail.jpg

Some people just like that look. I owned a pair of square toed shoes years ago and I thought they were the **** when I got them. I donated them to goodwill last year after years of not wearing them. Now I can't even look at them without cringing.
More than anything, the leather looks to be of really low quality. You see how it shines like that? That's because the leather is corrected grain and in order for it to look any good it has to have a thick plasticky polish like that.
The silver "REACTION" logo is really unnecessary and comes of as obnoxious to me.
The overly thick rubber sole makes the shoe look really blobby.
Also, it seems like there is too much stitching going on; almost like those cheap leather jackets made from patches of leather that discount leather goods stores sell.

MortyGras

Reaction score

6520_119_detail.jpg

**** me those are ugly..
confused.gif

dbc

Reaction score
Quick query about armholes.

Just went for my first suit fitting. Hated the armholes because the moment I raised my arms, the whole thing moved. Tailor said that it's natural and that it doesn't matter because one only shakes hands. Then he asked me if I was a tapdancer.

Still insisted on higher and tighter armholes. Hope it goes better on the second fitting.

What do you guys think? Am I right to insist on this and is my tailor bollocking me?

blahgspot

Reaction score
6520_119_detail.jpg

Square toed shoes are actually quite a good look for old-fashioned deep-sea pirates. You can definitely work the "Captain Hook" look to your advantage; there's nothing ladies like more than the "I'm into ****** and pillaging" look. Alternatively, such shoes are great to wear to "Original Thanksgiving" recreations, assuming you are going as a Pilgrim male.

miurasv

Reaction score
I quite like this but not sure if it's an orphan. I won't buy it if it is. What do you think? Thanks in advance for your reply.

mco543

Reaction score
Anyone here know of a store/tailor/whatever called Doncaster Sakowitz? I recently thrifted a very nice vintage 3 piece suit and thats the only label on the jacket.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Forum statistics

Threads