• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

SimonC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wouldn’t go there again - any alterations tailor who takes pride in their work should have made that line up.

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Any ideas what would cause a clean rip like this in a wool sportcoat? I am pretty certain it did not get caught on anything. I've contacted the manufacturer but have yet to hear back.

IMG-6826.jpg

Timbaland

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can someone help me with sizing for Lardini suits? I searched the forum and found some mixed answers though some threads were 10+ years old.

Some say it runs small and you should size up. This is reflected in some websites styling where the jacket looks Thom Browne-esque. Styling on Lardini's website doesn't look too small.

I've looked at old classifieds on here and while the jacket sometimes looks to run small the pants look like they run TTS at least in the waist.

If it helps, I used to wear 50/40 in Calvin Klein collection but got covid fat and definitely need to size up to 52/42 now. Would I need to size up to 54/44 in Lardini?

I can get a Lardini suit for ~$250 and I almost never wear suits so not really interested in other brand suggestions. Thanks.

ThomGault

Reaction score
If it helps, I used to wear 50/40 in Calvin Klein collection but got covid fat and definitely need to size up to 52/42 now. Would I need to size up to 54/44 in Lardini?
I advise you to never buy a suit that you haven't tried on, especially if you've never previously worn the brand.

Timbaland

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I advise you to never buy a suit that you haven't tried on, especially if you've never previously worn the brand.

Thanks, but I can't go anywhere to try on suits in person. Partly because I live in a fashion wasteland and partly due to covid. My best bet is to buy online. I can return the suit. I'd just be out the international return shipping (~$40) if it doesn't work out so I was hoping to get some advice here.

ThomGault

Reaction score
but I can't go anywhere to try on suits in person.
I understand your frustration. For most of my life, I've not been blessed with good men's clothing stores near my home. And, obviously now covid. But, seriously, the fit must be right, and that requires more than just ordering a suit online and returning it if it doesn't work.
Where do you live? Do you have alternatives? E.g., do you need a suit now, or can you wait until covid is less threatening so you can visit a haberdasher in person? Can you wear one of your current suits, even if ill-fitting, until then, or perhaps it can be altered? Maybe a cheap ebay suit will work? Remember, even if your untested mail order suit is the right size, you're still almost definitely going to need to visit a tailor anyway. Life is too short to waste time and money on poor clothing choices.

Timbaland

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I understand your frustration. For most of my life, I've not been blessed with good men's clothing stores near my home. And, obviously now covid. But, seriously, the fit must be right, and that requires more than just ordering a suit online and returning it if it doesn't work.
Where do you live? Do you have alternatives? E.g., do you need a suit now, or can you wait until covid is less threatening so you can visit a haberdasher in person? Can you wear one of your current suits, even if ill-fitting, until then, or perhaps it can be altered? Maybe a cheap ebay suit will work? Remember, even if your untested mail order suit is the right size, you're still almost definitely going to need to visit a tailor anyway. Life is too short to waste time and money on poor clothing choices.

Thanks. I need the suit within 4 or 5 months. My old suits don't fit at all, if I raise my arms or legs it'd probably rip.

I live a little more than an hour away from San Francisco, closer to San Jose but they don't have anything. I'm hesitant to go to a haberdasher because my wife is pregnant (weakened immune system) and we are being extremely careful. We haven't gone out since October other than me grocery shopping.

My mom can hem the pants and I only have to wear suits a couple times a year so I'm not going to worry about any other alterations until after the pandemic is over.

EddieK

Reaction score
Any ideas on what kind of tie with a navy suit and light brown cardigan and white shirt? And what kind of pocket square too ?

Encathol Epistemia

Reaction score
Is there a particular make, material or style of garment bag that's best or at least that somebody might particularly recommend?

I'm interested in buying some sturdier garment bags to replace the relatively flimsy plastic ones that my local tailor uses. The ideal product would be particularly sturdy and likely to last a long time, by the standards of whatever the expected useful life of a garment bag is.

hpreston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks. I need the suit within 4 or 5 months. My old suits don't fit at all, if I raise my arms or legs it'd probably rip.

I live a little more than an hour away from San Francisco, closer to San Jose but they don't have anything. I'm hesitant to go to a haberdasher because my wife is pregnant (weakened immune system) and we are being extremely careful. We haven't gone out since October other than me grocery shopping.

My mom can hem the pants and I only have to wear suits a couple times a year so I'm not going to worry about any other alterations until after the pandemic is over.

Since you’ve found a decent deal on Lardini, can you get the vendor to send you some garment measurements? You could then compare to other brand’s measurements and see of they seem trim (size up) or standard.
A 42/52 jacket or sport coat should be about 22 inches across pit to pit (44 inches total, for a bit or freedom of movement) just as a guide. Anything smaller than that, and you,d need to size up to 54/44

SimonC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is there a particular make, material or style of garment bag that's best or at least that somebody might particularly recommend?

I'm interested in buying some sturdier garment bags to replace the relatively flimsy plastic ones that my local tailor uses. The ideal product would be particularly sturdy and likely to last a long time, by the standards of whatever the expected useful life of a garment bag is.

Luxire was doing cotton canvas ones, so depending on what you want to pay it may be worth asking them.

hindi ako

Reaction score
What is the vest way to store waistcoats/vests? Should they be on a hanger or folded? Thanks

ThomGault

Reaction score
What is the vest way to store waistcoats/vests? Should they be on a hanger or folded? Thanks
The "vest way?" ;)
I do not fold tailored garments, as they develop wrinkles/creases. I use thick-shouldered hangers to maintain proper drape.

Last edited:

madolli

Reaction score
Anyone know´s what kind of brand this shirt could be from? or what the style of the collar is called? I´ve never seen a shirt with a button on top of the collar like that. To me it looks like there are 2-3 buttons closing. From what I managed to figure out from google this is supposed to be more of an italian style collar? Any help is much appriciated

Attachments

• Skjermbilde 2021-02-19 kl. 17.18.28.png
    Skjermbilde 2021-02-19 kl. 17.18.28.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 204
  • Skjermbilde 2021-02-19 kl. 17.24.10.png
    Skjermbilde 2021-02-19 kl. 17.24.10.png
    982.7 KB · Views: 210

MisterSting

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Do you have brands where I can get high rise regular selvedge denim ?

Can't find a any in naked&famous and APC. I'm curently considering trying the new Uniqlo U.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads