• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Veremund

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’ll be somewhere that’ll be around 20-30 degrees, and down to 10(!), presumably at night. All my pants are thin — chinos, thin engineered garments cargo pants, things like that. Will a base layer/thermal underwear(?) be sufficient to fend off the cold?

Thin merino leggings from Icebreaker would be great.

Also, be sure to wear long, over-the-calf wool socks. They can be thin, but they need to be wool.

Patrick R

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It really depends on how long you are going to be outside. If you are attending a sporting event outdoors and will be sitting/standing for hours, you need snow pants. If you are running from car to house, you don’t need much.

If you aren’t used to it, that will be COLD. By this time in the season, I’d be fine in chinos and a sweater with an open jacket unless I was going to be outside for more than 20-30 mins.

IJReilly

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’m from Sweden and I would never spend a day outside in 10F without at least thermal layers (does wonders) or snow pants. You can, of course, but it’s not fun.

Encathol Epistemia

Reaction score
What is, in general, best: Various patterned trousers with a plain jacket, various plain trousers with a patterned jacket or various plain trousers with a plain jacket? (The jacket is the 'constant' in this question and I an assuming that patterned jackets with differently patterned trousers is mostly impractical)

papado

Reaction score
What is, in general, best: Various patterned trousers with a plain jacket, various plain trousers with a patterned jacket or various plain trousers with a plain jacket? (The jacket is the 'constant' in this question and I an assuming that patterned jackets with differently patterned trousers is mostly impractical)

I'm generally against 'interesting' pants and like to keep them solid; you can play with textures and materials like flannel, linen mixes, etc. Easier to have simple pants and then you can opt for patterned jackets or plain jackets. I like having some visual interest so most of my jackets have some sort of pattern.

DrewMill

Reaction score
Any thoughts on Scarosso and Velasca shoes? Both seem to follow the made in Italy, direct to consumer model. I'd love to hear if anyone has thoughts on their leather quality, construction, and sizing.

JJ Katz

Reaction score
Just one basic point. At 10-20 F, pay particular attention to your extremities: hands and feet.

HollyJoint

Reaction score
i am thinking of buying a rugby shirt again. But I find them very useful.
Will she be cool casually with a chino or jeans and a jacket over it?

710717116014_sivasdescalzo-Polo_Ralph_Lauren-LS_RUGBY_M3-LONG_SLEEVE-KNIT-1565183289-1.jpg

Kevin24

Reaction score
Good evening everyone,

I was wondering if anyone could recommend me a solid traditional DB trench coat for under $600? That would keep the rain out and pref a detachable liner.

Thank you!

slam

Reaction score
I found this blazer for $750. Canali, crease resistant. What can I get that is better for $750? Looking for a solid navy everyday kind of blazer for work and travel. I have a charcoal suit, and a few more colorful and fun blazers and suits. But looking for a quality staple, primarily for work and meeting with clients. Suggestions?

Cheshire symposium

Reaction score
What would you commission as your first bespoke project; either odd trousers and a sports jacket or a two piece suit? Assuming that you would get equal wear from both options.

SimonC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What would you commission as your first bespoke project; either odd trousers and a sports jacket or a two piece suit? Assuming that you would get equal wear from both options.

Assuming equal wear, a suit. By making from the same fabric, it'll make things easier for the tailor because you won't have the variables of how two different fabrics react. It'll therefore also be a better basis to judge the tailor.

TheloniusDrunk

Reaction score
Looking for good shoe trees for boots specifically, and endorsements?

Veremund

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Any thoughts on Scarosso and Velasca shoes? Both seem to follow the made in Italy, direct to consumer model. I'd love to hear if anyone has thoughts on their leather quality, construction, and sizing.

I have three pairs of Velasca and I love them. They’re all I wear nowadays.

nikolau

Reaction score
The Meermin RUI last- does it run a full UK size large?

I.e. is the 11.5 a 46.5/47 rather than the advertised 45.5?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads