Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Master-Classter, Sep 28, 2008.

1. Essential

Essential Senior member

I'm a "small guy" ( 5' 5", 130 pounds) but semi-big for my size (athletic). I'm not sure about my jacket lapel since I haven't received my MTM suit yet. I know the standard is 3.5" and I'm planning to buy some ties from TheTieBar to start off my collection. Do you think 3" or 3.5" would be more suitable? I have a 2.75" at its widest point and I wouldn't mind if it was a little bigger so I'm leaning towards 3". However, on TheTieBar, it lists 3" as skinny (though I don't think it really is).

And I guess I'll go for silk. Is that what people normally use?

2. cptjeff

cptjeff Senior member

Yes, silk is the standard.

And 3" would be good for you. It's slim, but not really skinny, which works for a smaller guy, though 3.5" won't look ridiculous. As for lapels, they'll probably be moderate to narrow, given current trends. The exact measurement is irrelevant. But a fat tie would look awkward with one of those super slim, 1" imitations of a lapel, and a 2" skinny tie would look stupid with the winged jackets they made in the 70's.

Last edited: May 19, 2012

3. MyOtherLife

MyOtherLife Senior member

You may as well roll with it and begin sporting a well fitted codpiece.

[​IMG]

Welcome to Styleforum.

4. Winston S.

Winston S. Senior member

The Drummond is on the 348 last.

Thanks for the thoughts.

I think one of the things with a Chinese wedding is that the guests should not wear any red, as its something that only the bride should wear.

Regarding the shoes, I though the MacNeils would be a good choice because they're a little bit more casual than an oxford, but I don't really have that many other bluchers. I do have some Navy Rancourt venetian loafers I picked up recently, but think those would be too casual. I'll take another look through my shoes. Thanks again.

5. KObalto

KObalto Senior member

Don't be silly, Eldridge Cleaver solved this problem years ago.

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 20, 2012

6. fritzl

fritzl Senior member

one inch is pretty standard. ymmv.

7. CalTex

CalTex Senior member

I have pretty big thighs as well, I wear boxer briefs, fitted dress pants, and fitted jeans. If you look closely you can see my package bulging a bit but it never bothers me and I do not remember ever being called out. People typically ask me why I am so formally dressed and that does not bother me at all. :)

unless you literally have a huge package, I think you are noticing the bulge a little too much.

Last edited: May 20, 2012

8. MyOtherLife

MyOtherLife Senior member

:lol: Can you find a bigger photo? I want to read the text of that pic.

9. KObalto

KObalto Senior member

That super-classy designer "Eldridge de Paris" promised you'd be COCK OF THE WALK with his fall 1975 collection. "Life is just a chain of daisies," reads the text, "when you slip into (careful, now) these revolutionary hot pants – with their ever-so-daring accent provacateur – just unveiled by famous radical designer Edridge Cleaver of Paris. They're bad, they're mad, they're up front (but never out of sight)... and, of course, they're for men only... REAL men... the three-fisted variety. 'There's no mistaking they are men's pants,' says M. Cleaver (seen here modeling a high-waisted two-tone pair of 'Cleavers' with side zipper and matching 'appurtenance.' 'The pants that men wear now will be seen as girls' pants after my models are sold. And don't forget... HEAVY ON THE STARCH!"

10. beansach

beansach Member

Groom in a southern california day time, outdoor summer wedding. (Southern California casual summer wedding must conjure up awful images of khaki suits and white vans... gag) My instinct is navy 2btn, black balmorals, glenn plaid tie. Unfortunately, I am not a fan of my navy suit. I am extremely picky about suits, and don't have the budget to buy one I would be happy to get married in. I do have a navy blazer that works for me, right width lapels, right gorge height, all that picky stuff. Would it be a crime to wear navy blazer, wool trousers, blue shirt, chocolate suede cap toes and belt, and the tie of SF's choosing?

11. amathew

amathew Senior member

Noob here and I have a question about washing dress shirts. I generally wash them machine wash cold and then hang them to dry. I DO NOT iron them when they are damp as it seems many of you do. As a result, it seems that a lot of my shirts have odd creases and look "bad". Is it really necessary to iron a dress shirt an hour or so after it's been taken out of the washer?

I'll usually let it hang dry for a few days and a week later when I go to wear it again, I'll iron the shirt that morning.

I'd say some of my dress shirts have fared better than others in this regard, but my Harvie and Hudson shirts get in really bad shape after I hang dry for a few days, and ironing never bring them back to usual shape.

EDIT: I also had a small mud (?) stain on my favorite pink dress shirt (near lower back area) and I kinda ironed over it this morning. I haven't worn it since washing the shirt two weeks ago. I'm going to try and handwash it after work today (I wore it to work because it wasn't all that noticeable), but if anyone has suggestions on this, that would be great also.

Last edited: May 21, 2012

12. Liquidus

Liquidus Senior member

Instead of hang drying them, try machine drying for 10 mins and then ironing.

13. Liquidus

Liquidus Senior member

Should the waist of a MTM shirt be wide enough so that the front placket is completely straight even when sitting down? Or is some pursing typical?

14. RomanCastro

RomanCastro New Member

Hello all,

I'm new to the forum and after reading some threads and "Dressing The Man" I need some help determining if I have a Medium or High Contrast Complexion.
    That's me in my avatar.

Thank you.

15. PhiPsi32

PhiPsi32 Senior member

Dark hair and eyes with pale complexion qualifies for "high contrast".