• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Dark Knot

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
I have a beautiful Dark Navy micro herringbone brooks brother fitzgerald suit I just got off the forum brand new unfinished. Im having it altered this week. I purchased it as I will be attending a wedding next month and didnt have a suit that fit well.

I have my shirt (a white golden fleece spread collar french cuff), my cufflinks, my pocket square (white linen), but I just can't figure out what tie to wear. I have a brown (almost grey) Drakes tie (its brown and gray dots but looks like solid brown) but I dont know if a dark brown tie goes with a navy suit. I have a red Brooks Brother Makers Repp solid tie thats really nice but I feel it comes off too "political" for a wedding.

I'd love to go a little monochrome and wear a navy tie, maybe a navy with white pindots tie. But Im afraid it'll come off too matchy.

Any tips? Id like to stay within the solid/stripes/pindot realm of ties and away from patterns or paisleys.
Hey Dgonsh,

I like the idea of a pink checkered shirt with the Dark Navy micro herringbone suit. Purple does not complement navy blue very wheel (based on the pictures you have displayed later in the forum). However, if the shirt is checkered, you would want to go with a solid tie so that you are not wearing pattern over pattern over pattern. You could wear a navy tie, or to really make it standout without it looking too flashy, you could wear a maroon tie. A maroon solid would contrast really well with a pink checkered shirt and a Dark Navy micro herringbone suit. If you want to wear the brown ties that you have, they could go well with the suit assuming the shirt is a solid. But pulling off dots against a herringbone suit is a tricky one! The red Brooks Brothers tie you have could go well with a sky blue shirt, but again, red ties are considered 'power ties' and like you said may come off as 'too political' for the wedding. Hope this helps!

Dark Knot

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
1) Could someone please please post some pictures of woven vs printed ties?
Im unsure if i can actually see the difference.
2) Should ties used in the evening/at night be darker? IE navy, black etc?
During the day i use alot of lighter colors( light blue, orange, mid blue, green) but they feel a bit flashy in the evening.
Im under the assumption that all clothes used in the evening should be darker, is this correct?
(1) Pictures wont necessarily help, but you can see it with texture at a physical store. Woven ties have the designs woven in, so there is texture with the different strings of yarn being interwoven in order to manufacture the tie. Printed silk takes silk cloth and literally prints a design on it, so when you run your fingers through both, the woven silk tie will feel like it has different textures as you are literally running through interwoven yarns, whereas printed silk will feel like one piece of silk cloth.

(2) I wouldnt worry about what colors you wear during the day versus at night. I think thats purely a personal thing.

Dark Knot

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
I'm going to a wedding very soon and need some pointers in what kind of shirt and tie to wear!

I'll be wearing a heather grey suit, brown leather belt, and walnut strands.
I don't want anything too bold but nothing too conservative either, and prefer to keep things simple. I'm of a smaller frame (5'6 -135 lbs)

I was thinking of a window pane pattern in blue. Not sure about the tie... not too sure about anything really which is why I'm here!

Help!
Hey Hensonator,

I think the window pane blue patterned shirt would go really well with a grey suit. Just make sure that your shoes are also brown if you are wearing a brown belt. As a rule of thumb, your shoe color and belt should always match. Regarding ties, if you are wearing a window pane patterned blue shirt, and you want something more conservative, you could go with a solid navy tie. If you want something more colorful that stands out, you could go for a yellow tie, and since your suit is a solid color, you can wear a patterned yellow tie (stripes, or even better, a geometrical repeating patterned tie) as that pattern would contrast well with the window pane patterns on your shirt. Generally, you dont want to wear three layers of patterned fabrics (l.e suit, shirt and tie), and when two layers do have patterns, the patterns should contrast (i.e narrow stripes with wide stripes, or stripes / checks against a geometric repeating design). What I mean by geometric repeating desgins are the sort of ties that are solid by Hermes - look up their animal prints online. Then you can find similar ties in the marketplace by other manufacturers that are a fraction of the price. Hope this helps!

New Shoes1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
. Purple does not complement navy blue very wheel (based on the pictures you have displayed later in the forum).

or to really make it standout without it looking too flashy, you could wear a maroon tie. A maroon solid would contrast really well with a pink checkered shirt and a Dark Navy micro herringbone suit.

confused.gif

Redlinemac

Reaction score
First posting here...I love this site.

I've been asked to be a groomsman in a wedding and this is the style of tux the bride selected for us to wear:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BOYS-SIZE-1...GE-TUXEDO-JACKET-/110873654470#ht_2521wt_1066

I own several tuxedos (a notch and peak single buttons...love the single buttons...and the same in a two-button variation) and HATE the idea of renting anything. I want to purchase and be done with it but I am a bit conservative in my style. Not only does this tux strike me as trendy, I've never even seen anything like it to research its history. I'm not sure that I want it in my closet.

Anyone care to enlighten me?

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

First posting here...I love this site.

I've been asked to be a groomsman in a wedding and this is the style of tux the bride selected for us to wear:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BOYS-SIZE-1...GE-TUXEDO-JACKET-/110873654470#ht_2521wt_1066

I own several tuxedos (a notch and peak single buttons...love the single buttons...and the same in a two-button variation) and HATE the idea of renting anything. I want to purchase and be done with it but I am a bit conservative in my style. Not only does this tux strike me as trendy, I've never even seen anything like it to research its history. I'm not sure that I want it in my closet.

Anyone care to enlighten me?  

I don't know, but the collar and lapel is horrible.

Last edited:

Redlinemac

Reaction score
I told my wife when I went in to try it on that this tux selection moved my friend's soon-to-be way down on my list. Thanks for your reply.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I told my wife when I went in to try it on that this tux selection moved my friend's soon-to-be way down on my list. Thanks for your reply.

You really have to suck it up with weddings. I had to buy a Calvin Klein ensemble to be a groomsman at my friends wedding. I bitched and moaned like crazy.

shipbroker

Reaction score

The black cap toe is considered by many to be the quintessential business shoe, that said, I am not a huge fan of cap toes. Black is also the standard business shoe, so if you work in the office, I would highly recommend at least one good black shoe. After that it depends on what color slacks you usually wear, I personally wear mainly grey and navy, so I find burgundy is the ideal choice to match these two colors. You could also easily go with brown, I just personally think burgundy is a better choice if I had to choose between them. Pick whichever shoe style you like best, if that is cap-toe, then get a cap-toe. You can mix it up as you please. Double monks are a bit flashy and would not be my first choice when starting a shoe collection, but this is just one opinion. For the record, I am a HUGE fan of the cordovan longwing/gunboat style shoes.
(Sorry for the double post, the quote failed somehow).

Thank you for the reply sir!

Black seems to be the fail safe but is somewhat boring :(

Like you I absolutely adore burgundy especially cordovan, however shells are a prohibitively expensive option for me now. My trousers are mostly navy and charcoal / grey so their perfect.

Right now I can't quite decide if cap toes are too formal for the dress pants and shirt sans tie and suit. I have to admit shell bluchers by Alden are calling out to me haha!

Gauss17

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thank you for the reply sir!
Black seems to be the fail safe but is somewhat boring :(
Like you I absolutely adore burgundy especially cordovan, however shells are a prohibitively expensive option for me now. My trousers are mostly navy and charcoal / grey so their perfect.
Right now I can't quite decide if cap toes are too formal for the dress pants and shirt sans tie and suit. I have to admit shell bluchers by Alden are calling out to me haha!

They are not too formal, although I wouldn't wear them with anything that does not include wool slacks of some kind (If you think about it, it is really no different than if you wore a suit and took off your jacket). I might recommend starting with a black cap-toe such as Allen Edmonds, then save up for those Alden Burgundy 990's :D.

Last edited:

New Shoes1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They are not too formal, although I wouldn't wear them with anything that does not include wool slacks of some kind (If you think about it, it is really no different than if you wore a suit and took off your jacket). I might recommend starting with a black cap-toe such as Allen Edmonds, then save up for those Alden Burgundy 990's
biggrin.gif

Reasonable minds disagree, but I think my AE Park Avenues look out of place with anything other than a suit or sport coat.

Liquidus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is there any benefit to using a wash bag to wash all your socks in?

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
They might not get lost as easily. Also, they probably won't agitate as much being confined to a bag.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads