1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Master-Classter, Sep 28, 2008.

1. mrjester

mrjester Senior member

Another question tied to this one. What kind of shirts can I wear the green tie with? Plenty with the navy but I can't seem to find anything but white to wear with.

2. acedevil

acedevil Member

Well I guess everybody is against it. I thought it wasn't a good idea as well. If it compliments my mood then I might, but I guess I won't. So I have this wonderful three piece charcoal suit. The color would be on the darker side. What shirts would suit this suit?
    I know a charcoal suit can be very flexible, so would the following shirts suit this suit?
    : Light Blue Shirt
    : Deep Blue Shirt (Think clear water)
    : Navy Blue Shirt
    : Grey Shirt (Think diet coke can)
    : Deep Grey (Think a metal grey. Um, a dark grey but not charcoal)
    : Pale blue
    And what ties would be the best with these?

Last edited: Jan 17, 2013
  3. 12345Michael54321

12345Michael54321 Senior member

Come on, a solid green silk knit is NOT all that challenging a tie to match.

In terms of solid colored shirts, there's always white. Ecru might be even better than white, especially for certain complexions. Or the tie would probably go especially well with a pale yellow shirt.

The other day, I nearly bought a Brooks white w/grey tattersall shirt, which would've been great with your tie.

As silk knit ties tend to be slightly less formal than most other silk ties, I lean toward pairing them with dress shirts that are themselves slightly on the casual side. Usually, this can be accomplished as simply as by choosing a shirt with a button-down collar. However, some patterns can also tend to downplay the dress nature of a shirt a little.

It's not that it's necessarily some horrible sartorial faux pas, to wear a silk knit tie with a relatively dressy shirt, like a solid white with point color and French cuffs. It's just that I think other types of ties tend to be better matches for such shirts.

I would add that green is a great tie color. And even though every few years it briefly becomes trendy, in general it doesn't get the respect and attention it deserves. Plus, it's pretty much a year 'round color, unlike some. It works with both white metals and yellow metals, if that matters to you. And while a green tie isn't usually my first choice to wear with a navy suit or blazer (although the combination can work), it tends to go quite well with medium grey suits, tweed jackets, tan summer suits, etc.
    --
    Michael

4. aravenel

aravenel Senior member

White, light/pale blue, or some stripe of white and light/pale blue if the suit is a solid.

This is usually your best bet for any suit of just about any color.

5. aravenel

aravenel Senior member

Green is a great tie color. Light blue or white work well. I have a green knit that I wear frequently. Wore it yesterday with a white and light blue stripe.

6. 12345Michael54321

In general, I strongly prefer lighter, to darker, when it comes to dress shirt color. So the dark grey shirt is out. The light grey is better, but with a grey suit, I'd rather see a blue shirt than a grey one.

Again, as I'm not a big fan of dark dress shirts, the deep blue and navy blue shirts are out.

Leaving pale blue or light blue would as my first choice. (I don't know the difference between pale blue and light blue. Go with whichever is the lighter shade of blue.)

Any particular reason you don't even list a white shirt as a choice? A white shirt with a charcoal suit is hardly an exotic choice, and if you want to add some color and visual interest to the combination, you can do so with a colorful tie, or pocket square, or (very uncommon these days, but occasionally still a viable choice) a boutonniere (of the non-white variety).

7. acedevil

acedevil Member

Thank you. Though are you sure about the grey on charcoal being a bad idea? And deep blue is a more vibrant color. Think of the Earth blue color from space in those pictures.

And I didn't list the white shirt because well white shirt goes with everything. A crisp white shirt is the best possible choice.

8. kitestring

kitestring New Member

Should I apply beeswax to the welting of Allen Edmonds vibram soled boots?

It's winter here and from time to time I step into a puddle or a snow, I use cleaner&conditioner and polish on leather upper, but should I apply anything to welting to make it waterproof and longlasting?

9. theyare

theyare Senior member

What is "baize" fabric / detailing?

I am looking online at 100% wool overcoat that is described this way.

Is it any less dressy?

10. mkarim

mkarim Senior member

A forest green tie is also classic and understated.

11. 12345Michael54321

Whether it's a bad idea is up to the individual, I suppose. But I am sure that I usually prefer not to wear a grey shirt with a grey suit.

I don't care how vibrant it is; I strongly dislike wearing dark colored dress shirts with suits. It would be extraordinarily rare that I'd choose a deep blue shirt over a pale blue shirt, to wear with a 3-piece charcoal suit.

12. lostinfashion

lostinfashion Member

Been reading this forum but I'm still lost. I have a dinner (business related) that's not suit nice but not shorts and sandle casual. I have $300 or so to spend. I was thinking a cheap blazer, khakis, white shirt and a tie but it seems plain - I have no idea what to get. Something that doesn't make me look like an idiot would be nice but if idiocy is all I can get I'll take it.

Any help would be appreciated. Bonus points if you can give me links where I can buy it online and be done with it.

Thanks.

13. Badandy

Badandy Senior member

So you don't have a white shirt or khakis or a tie?

14. lostinfashion

lostinfashion Member

I have khakis. I have one tie that I wear to funerals and weddings.

15. Badandy

Badandy Senior member

You're going to have to be more specific. What exactly do you need? Just the blazer? New khakis? Different tie?

16. 12345Michael54321

There's nothing idiotic about what you're thinking, and quite a lot right about it. It sounds like a fine look for a business-related dinner where you want to look nice, but not "suit nice." It's a traditional and versatile look.

No problem. And since you admit that you're still a bit lost, I'm going to make it easy for you. No searching eBay for used stuff and trying to figure out what's good and what's not. No waiting for some flash site to run a sale, available for 30 minutes, to members only. No, nothing like that. What I'm going to do is suggest where you can get the stuff you want/need, easily, within budget, and with return privileges. So not necessarily the very best pieces or deals, but we'll save that for a later date, when you're feeling less lost, okay?

1. Cheap blazer. Actually, it's an "inexpensive" blazer. Go to http://andersonlittle.com/ . Hopefully, you already know your jacket size. If not, swing by some dry cleaners that does alterations, and have the alterations guy (or woman) measure you.

Then run it past Anderson Little, and ask them if, based on your height and weight, the number makes sense. (Hey, it never hurts to confirm things.) Then buy yourself an A-L blazer. $179, and free shipping.

It's not a great blazer, but it's a perfectly acceptable blazer. It's also not particularly trim-fitting, but frankly that's a plus in my book.

Once it arrives, take it to the dry cleaners where you had the alterations guy (or woman) measure you, and reward that person by paying a few bucks to get the blazer's sleeves shortened to the right length. That's may well be all you'll need to have done to it to get it to fit tolerably well. It's an inexpensive alteration to get done.

2. Khakis. You could go to Sierra Trading Post, and try to figure out which pair of Bills Khakis fits you the way you want, and get them for 30% off the already reduced price by using a coupon obtained as a result of offering Sierra Trading your undying love on Facebook or something. Or you can go to www.landsend.com, read the descriptions of the various khakis offered, and buy a mess of them in all different sizes and styles, secure in the knowledge that you can keep the one pair that works best for you, and return all the rest to any Sears store for a refund, no muss, no fuss. Oh, and Lands' End will, in most cases, even hem/cuff the pants to your preferred length, at no extra charge. (I prefer them cuffed.) And there are always discount coupons for Lands' End. $10 off $50, free shipping, 30% off, etc.

I don't know how much this will cost you, but let's say $30-60, depending on exactly what you buy, where you buy it, and which specific coupon you use.

3. White shirt. The aforementioned Lands' End. I like the combination of a button-down collar with a blazer. But either way, Lands' End. It'll probably set you back around $35. More or less. It'll be a highly acceptable white shirt. Not the best, but inexpensive and entirely satisfactory for its intended purpose.

4. A tie. This one's easy. Go to www.thetiebar.com Narrow it down to a few ties that you like, and come back and ask for people's opinions, if you want. They have a zillion ties to choose from, so you may want to decide ahead of time what sort of tie you prefer. Silk knit, or "regular" silk. Stripes or geometric pattern. With a navy blazer and white shirt, there are LOTS of perfectly reasonable ways you can go here. Both of those clothing items are dead easy to match to a tie. Anyway, not the greatest ties in the world (not even close), but they are perfectly fine ties, and The Tie Bar offers a huge selection, and the price is a mere $15 per tie.

Assuming you already have an appropriate pair of shoes, you're all set. Under budget and everything.
    --
    Michael

17. lostinfashion

lostinfashion Member

Blazer, shirt, and a tie. Should be good with khakis. XL shirt size if that helps. Thanks for helping.

18. lostinfashion

lostinfashion Member

That was money Michael. Thanks for that. I'll check out the blazer. About the ties, does it matter if it's a skinny tie, neck tie, etc. - haha man I need to read GQ or something.

19. 12345Michael54321

Sport shirts come in sizes like S-M-L-XL.

You want to buy a dress shirt. It'll be sized in actual numbers. Like 16.5/34-35, or 16/32, or something like that. Where the first number (the 16.5 or the 16) is your collar size, in inches. And the second number(s) represent your sleeve length.

If you don't already know your shirt size (in numbers, not just that you're an XL), then find some online video on how to measure yourself for shirt size (I'm sure there are plenty of such on youtube), and find out. At most, it'll cost you about 89 cents for a tape measure.

2 people like this.
  20. lostinfashion

lostinfashion Member

Another tie question - do you wear a blue tie with a blue jacket?