Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Master-Classter, Sep 28, 2008.

1. aglass

aglass Well-Known Member

I actually came to ask the exact question, so I appreciate the very helpful advice (as well as Steve Smith's). I'm in the same boat as the OP of the question... I'm a 40" chest and 18" shoulders... can anyone recommend some slimmer cut sportcoats/blazer brands to search for on eBay? I've started with Borrelli, Corneliani, PRL, but would appreciate any other input. Y'all are the best.

Last edited: May 15, 2012

2. Steve Smith

Steve Smith Senior member

I only have in depth knowledge of Brooks Brothers. Milano cut is the slimmest but is not common. Fitzgerald and Regent are also slim cuts. Most ebay sellers do not know how to measure jackets. B&S is your best bet.

3. Kid Nickels

Kid Nickels Senior member

+1

those are basically the same glasses... 649. the first are the 714 (folding Steve McQueens) 649 is practically the same except that they do not fold.... you need something to compliment your face as Citan noted with something more angular.. maybe 3027 or 3019.. keep in mind that Persol sizing can be challenging with the bride/lens/arm specifications that vary by model and do not necessarily hold true from one to the next with respect to how they fit you. Check the SUNGLASSES MegaThread... I've posted a much on this topic. and btw... yes they look big.

4. Eason

Eason Bicurious Racist

What causes collar-gap on a DB suit? My suit used to fit perfectly, however now when I put it on I notice a significant collar gap- as in, my shirt collar is almost swallowed up by the jacket, like it's riding up too high. My guess is that I'm a little bit bigger now than I was when I had it made, but it's only 8 lbs or so.

5. Liquidus

Liquidus Senior member

[​IMG]

Are these awesome?

Link

Last edited: May 15, 2012

6. Northernninja

Northernninja Member

Hello, I'm going to be attending a wedding soon and I was wondering if i need a winged collar shirt with french cuffs or not? I was thinking of ordering the BB ten pleat winged collar shirt. http://www.brooksbrothers.com/IWCat...lor=WHITE&sort_by=&sectioncolor=&sectionsize=

The bride has requested colored vest and tie, a teal color. :/ So I was wondering if a winged color was unnecessary or required. I appreciate any assistance.

7. Sir F

Sir F Senior member

Yes.

8. Gerry Nelson

Gerry Nelson Senior member

Only if you plan to wear a bow tie otherwise I wouldn't.

9. msulinski

msulinski Senior member

Wait, are you going to be in the wedding, or just in attendance? I thought for a second there that the bride was dictating her guests' dress, down to the color of the tie.

Last edited: May 16, 2012

10. Sanguis Mortuum

Sanguis Mortuum Senior member

Sounds like everyone is going to look ridiculous whichever you choose, but I would not wear a wing collar unless I was wearing strict black tie (black bow tie, no coloured vest, etc)

11. Winston S.

Winston S. Senior member

I am going to be attending a Chinese day wedding at the beginning of June and bought a chino suit from Brooks Brothers last week.

I think I am going to plan on wearing a white shirt (barrel cuffs, pointed collar), but haven't decided yet on footwear or tie.

One of these is the suit, don't remember what color it is:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

If I recall correctly it is the lighter, so probably the latter one. Does anyone have recommendations for ties or shoes? I was thinking either a navy silk knit or raw silk tie and possibly my AE MacNeils , but they may be a bit to casual.

[​IMG]
    I also have a green silk tie with white dots that I could consider wearing.

Alternatively, I could consider a cotton bow tie (think I have a blue/white gingham) with a white OCBD.

Thanks for any opinions in advance.

12. Ashlandleather

Ashlandleather Member

Depends on the Alden last mostly -- the Trubalance last (indy boots) fit 1/2 size larger.

13. viator

viator Senior member

Bump.

I found these online at Macy's. Obviously not the highest quality, but I am not looking to spend a fortune on this type of item. Is there anything better out there in the sub-$100 price range?

14. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

You're going to have to look really hard to find linen pants under $100. Linen is expensive. I think my girlfriend got a pair of pleated linen pants from American Apparel. See if you can squeeze in them.

15. Henkie

Henkie Active Member