• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Spurious

Reaction score

Timpsons are probably your best option if you want generic products at low cost

Thanks, will have a look!

Edit: The shop doesnt seem to have applicator brushes. I think, I will have a look on eBay and see what's on there.

Last edited:

Patric

Reaction score
I stopped dry cleaning my suits just now since I read that dry cleaning is a killer.. I also read that i should gently brush my suits, steam them in the shower to remove wrinkles.. I have one suit that need more than shower steam to remove wrinkles, should I gently iron it even if its not "cleaned"?

12345Michael54321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

[SIZE=10pt]I stopped dry cleaning my suits just now since I read that dry cleaning is a killer.
Dry cleaning can be hard on a suit, and should be avoided when not necessary. I get my suits pressed far more often than I get them cleaned (and pressed). Admittedly, most dry cleaners do a pretty poor job pressing suits, but there are good ones out there if you're willing to search them out.
I also read that i should gently brush my suits, steam them in the shower to remove wrinkles.
Brushing them isn't a bad idea. As for steaming your suit in the shower, that's a somewhat controversial issue, and the place to discuss it is not here, in the "Ask A Question, Get An Answer" thread. It's already been the subject of multiple threads on SF. I found much of value with regard to suit care in the one at http://www.styleforum.net/t/88504/guide-to-touching-up-your-suit-without-wrecking-it/0_50 -- Michael

Last edited:

CalTex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do these sunglasses look big on my face?

Last edited:

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Medium gray or navy linen suit? Need it for summer graduation. Tan is out of the question as I have brown complexion. Just won't look good on me. I'm thinking the gray pants as an individual piece will be more versatile but the navy jacket will be more versatile as well. So yeah medium gray or navy?
What pants can a gray jacket work with? How about with dark denim?

Yes.

Seriously, both are great options, and you should go for the one you like more. And a medium gray odd jacket will go with jeans, khakis in just about any shade (save for almost matching grays), and a huge range of wool slacks. A gray odd jacket is nearly as versatile as a navy one.

MZhammer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ok so I live a relatively sheltered life in the Midwest with not a lot of choices for high end menswear stores. In terms of tailored jackets and suiting, what brands would you say are comparable in terms of price, style, and quality with Mainline Zegna, Canali, and Pal Zileri?

Would Isaia be in that group or a step above/below? Would Corneliani be in that grouping? I'm not sure how Hickey Freeman would fit or BB stuff. I haven't had the budget to shop non-sale items in these brands but will be (hopefully) in that range in the coming year or two and would love to start looking.

TM79

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm kind of at a loss when it comes to sport coats/blazers. I want to start wearing them with shirt/tie combos but really have no clue wear to start aside from a navy blazer.

On a budget of appx. $1500 what would be a good starting point in terms of labels, colors, etc.?

I'm 6'1 and 170 lbs. so I'm a pretty slim build and understand that something like a Hickey Freeman or BB Madison would be too boxy for my shoulders and build.

I don't mind getting pre-owned stuff, either. I live in Boston so there are a decent number of consignment stores but at a size 40L it's really hard to find my size used.

Anyways ... I'd appreciate being pointed in the right direction here.

Citan1145

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Do these sunglasses look big on my face?

you have an oval face like myself. I would suggest getting more squared off lenses. I think ray ban new wayfarers or caravans would look good on you. I always conceive glasses as complimenting the shape of your face, not mimicking it.

Citan1145

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'm kind of at a loss when it comes to sport coats/blazers. I want to start wearing them with shirt/tie combos but really have no clue wear to start aside from a navy blazer.
On a budget of appx. $1500 what would be a good starting point in terms of labels, colors, etc.?
I'm 6'1 and 170 lbs. so I'm a pretty slim build and understand that something like a Hickey Freeman or BB Madison would be too boxy for my shoulders and build.
I don't mind getting pre-owned stuff, either. I live in Boston so there are a decent number of consignment stores but at a size 40L it's really hard to find my size used.

My suggestion is scour ebay and b&s for some good deals . FWIW, I am a bit classical in my pattern preferences but here is what I find to be versatile and essential. A navy blazer is a must. I would also recommend a glen plaid in brown, a herringbone in grey or brown, a houndstooth is brown or white/black, and a solid tweed (charcoal grey, brown, light grey etc). In the summer I would recommend a lighter navy blazer, maybe in a more "blue" color, a tan or brown check, and a silk/linen/wool/whatever mix in a neutral tone (light brown, navy, tan, light grey) to go with jeans or colored chinos.

As far as brands, this is highly personal. Polo can be found cheap, depending on your desire for more WASP-Y preppy patterns. Corneliani, Caruso, and Borrelli can also be found on deep discount. as always, you are likelly to find less staple pieces and more interesting patterns but you can always find something that will work with some creativity. I would recommend checking out howard yount as well, SF affiliate. Good product, good value.

I would find your best fitting jacket or have someone (a good tailor perhaps) and find your measurements. If you are a slim 40l you likely have about a 40-41 chest so depending on how tight you want your jackets chest to be, anything between 42-a little under 44 inches in the chest should be ok. Shoulder measurements are highly dependent on the structure of the shoulder (soft, padded, roping, no padding etc.) but there usually is a range of comfort (for me it is between 18.25-19 inches depending on the structure).

Once you know your measurements and how you prefer things to fit, just scour ebay, b&s, ehaberdasher, etc. and try to find jackets you think would work for your personality and compliment your shirts, ties, and pants. Good luck

Last edited:

Steve Smith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

At the 101 level (which can be quite sharp looking IMO) you can pair a patterned sport coat (I like a houndstooth with an overcheck as a starting point) with solid cotton pants (khaki BB Milano for example), a white BB OCBD, and a tie. All you have to worry about is that the pants/SC/tie work together. Khaki pants go with most, and the shirt is a blank palette. Make sure that the scale of any pattern in the tie is not too close to the scale of the SC pattern. You can dress it down by not wearing the tie.

Dressing the Man by Alan Flusser is a great resource for learning the basics, particularly if you are interested in putting a more complex outfit together. His advice (supported by photos) on how to mix two and three patterns is invaluable. Buy that book and use the rest of your budget shopping on B&S. Your $1500 will buy you a hell of a wardrobe. If you buy items which fit, take your jackets to the tailor if necessary, learn the basics of coordination, and buy a couple of pairs of good shoes that will easily put you in the top 5%.

Last edited:

Henkie

Reaction score
I've got my eye on a pair of boots by Alden, could anybody give a rough indication of sizing? I'm about a 11E (UK) in Crockett and Jones, for what it's worth.

CalTex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

you have an oval face like myself. I would suggest getting more squared off lenses. I think ray ban new wayfarers or caravans would look good on you. I always conceive glasses as complimenting the shape of your face, not mimicking it.

what about these?

hyt123

Reaction score
Depends on the pleats and on the polos. I have some with very shallow forward pleats where it makes almost no difference, and they look great with a shorter polo.

Common sense would tell me that shallow/deep doesn't make any difference when you're standing up. Show me a pic where it works and I'm willing to reconsider my opinion, however. I'm open to learning.

Liquidus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can somebody recommend a contraption that would allow me to easily hang dry socks/underwear? I imagine some kind of metal rack would be best?

Searched Amazon: Would something like this be best?

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads