1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Master-Classter, Sep 28, 2008.

1. bnovc

bnovc Well-Known Member

I understand that, but what I am saying is that there should be a different thread for each question.

How do you go about finding replies to your posts? I look at the few posts after my own, and if it's been a while, I search for my name to see if I miss anything. This seems very inefficient versus having a threaded discussion.

Even better would be to use a tree-like posting system where you can expand off of any given discussion (e.g. like Thunderbird displays email: http://www.studyplace.org/w/images/7/7e/Threaded_email.png [random Google image]), but even having separate forum topics would make it a lot easier.

2. aravenel

aravenel Senior member

The reason for threads like this is to keep the forum clean. Otherwise there are hundreds of one-off questions that have been asked and answered many times before. It makes it impossible to find anything new beyond the deluge of "What should I wear to my interview/wedding/whatever" and "Does my new suit fit" threads. It also helps to concentrate people who are interested in that topic into one place--e.g. by placing fit questions in the Tailor's Fit Thread, you end up getting people who actually know what they are talking about, and interested in providing fit feedbacks, answering questions, rather than just whoever happens to see that thread before it is rapidly buried under the other threads all asking similar things, or all asking simple questions that would be better answered in this thread.

It's certainly not a perfect system, but it's there for a reason.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2013
  3. Winston S.

Winston S. Senior member

Wore one to an in laws wedding in July (Silk green with off white dots). Khaki cotton suit. So I think it's fine. If I was doing around this time of year though I may go with something in wool instead.

4. Gibonius

Gibonius Senior member

Most of the easy questions only get one or two responses, and those tend to show up relatively soon after the post. Having a whole subforum for beginner/simple questions would be redundant, and many people would probably never check it.

If this thread moved faster, there might be a demand for such a thing.

5. jvc44

jvc44 Senior member

I need some opinions of BB peal cordovan boots with double leather sole paid 679 are they any good or should I send back ? Thanks

6. jvc44

jvc44 Senior member

First shell boots I don't know wtf to do!

7. msulinski

msulinski Senior member

I don't see these on the Brooks Brothers website. Can you post a link or some pics?

If you like them and can afford them, then you should keep them. Shell almost never goes on sale at BB or anywhere, so you might be waiting for a long time to get anything but the price you paid. You might have done better had you gotten either a corporate membership (15% off) or signed up for the BB credit card (one time %15).

8. pdxkyle

pdxkyle Active Member

Im looking to pick up a few blazers. Probably going to find some second hand on ebay.
    Any brands in particular people like? Slim fit is preferred.
    There seems to be a ton of Brooks Brothers blazers on ebay, heard mixed reviews on them.
    Hickory freeman everyone seems to like, price is a little high
    Anything else?

9. Winston S.

Winston S. Senior member

Assuming he got these during the boxing day sale, he would not have gotten a better price on them even if he had a corporate membership.

http://www.brooksbrothers.com/Peal-...html?dwvar_621H_Color=BRWN&contentpos=5&cgid=

I believe they are C&J and the only other C&J in a shell boot that comes close in this price range is when the Lindricks are on deep discount.

10. msulinski

msulinski Senior member

When I went to BB on December 26 and 27, they told me Edward Green and Shell were excluded from the 25% off sale.

11. Saturdays

Saturdays Senior member

Brooks Brothers' Blazer is pretty much the definition of a Blazer. There isn't much variety between brands and Blazers. I say go with Brooks Brothers or YSL, pick one Blazer up seem to be quite a few. Maybe buy a few Sport Coats as well instead. Generally 'Slim Fit' would be found in brands like Rugby or Gant. I saw some YSL and Oxxford Blazers, other places to check would be J Press, who make a very trad Blazer. I own a Rugby RL Blazer, back when it was made by Caruso, and its one of my favorite wardrobe pieces. It's possible to get a PRL Blazer, but its probably not going to be Slim Fit. http://www.ebay.com/itm/38-S-Short-...SA_MC_Blazers_Sport_Coats&hash=item4ac0343deb That one looks decent, and its Corneliani, you didn't provide a size so not sure if that would fit you.

12. jvc44

jvc44 Senior member

Yea they are c&j I don't know how they compare to other makes out there,thanks

13. pdxkyle

pdxkyle Active Member

Yeah, my apologizes im a 40R mostly.
    I also, which i shouldn't cause i know its wrong but i generalize blazers/sport coats etc as the same thing in my head.
    I appreciate the response man.
    I was just looking for opinions on what others have worn and liked.
    By slim fit I mean I just dont want a box fit haha.

14. Winston S.

Winston S. Senior member

That's correct and what an SA would tell you, but some SAs will let you buy shell at the discounted price.

This all depends on perspective, but assuming you only take cordovan manufactures into account and Allen Edmonds , Alden, and Meermins regular line, at the low range, the boots you bought are probably better than those brands.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2013
  15. Saturdays

Saturdays Senior member

You can sometimes find some nice RLBL Sport Coats on eBay, those are slim, and not boxy. I envy your size, because its easy to find things in your size.

16. jvc44

jvc44 Senior member

So Peal and co. Boots quality us ok? Alden shell 's no better?thanks

17. cptjeff

cptjeff Senior member

Those probably are aldens. Peal & Co is Brooks Brother's store brand for shoes- I forget who makes the made in England ones, but the made in the USA ones are made either by Alden or Allen Edmonds, depending on the shoe, and I think the shell stuff is all made by Alden.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with that purchase.

18. jvc44

jvc44 Senior member

Thanks for your help , boots are made in England so they are not Alden .i believe them to be Crockett and Jones. They are nice boots I just don't know about other brands like Alden or Carmina etc thanks

19. Yorsch

Yorsch Well-Known Member

Where can I find wool/cashmere solid ties similar to the ones in the picture below?
    Preferably around $100 mark and 3.5"-4" width. Thank you.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

20. Saturdays

Saturdays Senior member

I'm fairly certain they are C&J,