Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Master-Classter, Sep 28, 2008.

1. aspasp

aspasp Senior member

Question: Is the Allen Edmonds Strand a little too stuffy/old for a college sophomore?

2. Makoto Chan

Makoto Chan Senior member

IMO, it's not basic enough to serve as your first nice (formal) shoe, and it's not fun enough for a college sophomore who just wants to look good. Go for wingtips instead!

3. Makoto Chan

Makoto Chan Senior member

Thanks for your reply! Honestly I had forgotten about that!

4. Dark Knot

Dark Knot Affiliate Vendor Affiliate Vendor

Hey Samuel Smith,

It all depends on what kind of look you are ultimately going for. A carolina blue shirt on a warm graduation day in May could easily lend itself to something that looks more colorful, as long as your colors complement each other. With a carolina blue shirt and a grey suit, something that would complement the shirt well would be a pink colored tie. I personally would go with a solid pink tie, given the design of the suit jacket, and would most definetely go with a solid pink tie if the shirt is patterned, as three patterns (i.e tie, shirt and suit) would not work. If it is a solid shirt, a solid tie is still recommended. If you really want to go with a patterned tie, something with wide stripes that has pink in or or your color of choice would work, as the wide stripes would contrast well with the jacket in hand. I think polka or pin dots could work, with an appropriate amount of spacing, so that the spacing of the patterns contrast, but is quite difficult to pull off. Another color that would look festive with this combination is a yellow, as yellow with a blue shirt and grey suit could look very smart.

Alternatively, you could go for a more conservative look, i.e add a touch of shade to your carolina blue and wear a navy / midnight blue tie. This could also work, but would have more of a muted effect. Given that the colored shirt you are wearing is for a festive occasion on a spring / summer day, I think that a pink or yellow colored tie would complement what you have chosen for your shirt and jacket very well. Hope this helps!

5. aspasp

aspasp Senior member

What do you think as a second shoe? I have the allen edmonds park avenue but that is for more a more formal/internship environment

6. aglass

aglass Well-Known Member

I have a few suit specific questions: what is the appropriate range for chest & shoulder sizes for suits? I.e., I have a 40' chest and 18' shoulders and typically look for 40L suits. Would a 19 inch shoulder / 21 inch chest measurement be ok? I know the chest area is easily tailored, but the shoulders not so much. I have read on a few threads that some people look in ranges of two full inches - is that appropriate?

7. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

Totally, get them in dark brown, not chestnut for a second shoe. More versatile.

This is a common thing people get caught up with for suits. The key is to find a suit that fits easy in the chest and the shoulders don't produce divots at the top of the sleeve, but aren't over extended. A good thing to do is to put your arms flat at your side and scoot sideways next to a wall, if the shoulder pad touches the wall before your arm does then the shoulders are too wide.

Now, suits are measured by their chest size, not their shoulder size, so if a suit buttons easy and the lapels show no signs of bowing outward, yet the shoulders are too wide you need to switch to a different brand, or cut, no way around it. The chest of a suit CANNOT be altered easily, the waist can, this is a big difference. From about your solar plexus up needs to be correct from the beginning to have a decent fitting garment. The chest can be slightly big, but anything more than 1" you're getting into trouble.

Another thing is that for fit 2+2 = 4, but so does 3+1, so does 3.7+0.3. Measurements straight across will rarely give you anything usefull. It is all about curvature and where it is added and taken away and how it is in proportion to the rest of the suit that gives you good fit. This is a hard thing for a lot of people to accept because they want to buy online, but the truth is you have to try things on and know what size, brand, and model works best for you and then shop online.

8. Jaggs

Jaggs Senior member

The more important question is, who make the suit? I want one.

9. Jaggs

Jaggs Senior member

Get measured on a Brannock (US sizes) and size down a half in length, if possible and if you are cool with that idea, and size up one width would be my best advice. I am a true 13A and I wear a 13B in the 5 Last, becasue it's a long and narrow last. I would probably be perfect in a 12.5B, but they stop halves at 11.5.

10. sgplayer69

sgplayer69 New Member

Hey all, I keep trying to post a new thread but can't seem to do it. I just bought a modern navyish suit, and am looking for some brown shoes to go with it. I really like the Allen Edmonds 5th aves, and am trying to decide between walnut and brown, what do you guys think? My job is at a law firm in the city

Brown:
    [​IMG]

Walnut:
    [​IMG]

thanks!
    Nick

11. Trompe le Monde

Trompe le Monde Senior member

brown
    walnut stands out too much

12. PigFlys

PigFlys Member

Hello everyone, newbie here got a question. If I am looking to purchase a pair of shoes/boots to do a lot of walking in, what model/brand should I be looking at? I have some AE and I would say all of them are good for normal day to day use but sole too hard/stiff for extended walking.

Would something like the Alden Indy Boots be better? I sort of got the feeling that it is designed for working and called 'work boots' so they are should be very comfortable correct? Unfortunately, there is no Alden store around where I am (Irvine, CA), would love to try it out.

These will be used over the summer. I am open to all suggestions, but I would like to avoid suede if possible as they are hard(er) to take care of. Leaning toward chukka but don't own any other then the Clarks Desert Boot I bought when back in college. My budget would be 500 and less if possible, but it is not my biggest concern. Thank you!

13. 12345Michael54321

12345Michael54321 Senior member

Given that it's a law firm, I'd opt for the more conservative of the two, which is the brown. Particularly as "modern" and "navyish" (as opposed to "traditional" and "navy") suggest two elements that are already edging away, if only slightly, from the conservative, I'd be hesitant to compound things by also going for the less conservative choice in footwear.

'Course, if I already owned several pairs of work-approrpriate brown shoes, but not few tan shoes, that could alter my buying decision on this one.

It might also depend on what your job at the law firm is, how old you are, to what extent you interact with clients, the nature of your law firm, etc. A guy in his 20s who manages IT at a law firm, might well dress differently from a guy in his 40s who handles corporate tax litigation at the same firm. But as you've chosen not to provide any details, I'll stand with my advice, above.
    --
    Michael

14. Winston S.

Winston S. Senior member

+1

15. imatlas

imatlas Senior member

If you can spare a couple of hours driving (round trip) There's a superb store in Beverly Hills that stocks Aldens, our sponsors Leather Soul. They stock a number of exclusive models of Indy boots and other Aldens, not to mention some really spectacular St. Crispins and GW Cleverleys.

Indy boot could be a good option, but as a tall boot it is pretty warm. Clark's DBs are unlined suede, making them a very cool wearing shoe. Alden has the flex chukka, kind of a more grown-up version of the same boot, also in unlined suede. You're also off the mark on taking care of suede - it is much easier to care for than most calf.