Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Master-Classter, Sep 28, 2008.

1. Jimmy

Jimmy Member

Hi all,

I live in Australia and I'm looking at a couple of suits for sale on Blue Fly.

In particular I'm looking at some Jack Victor and Tommy Hilfiger suits:

http://www.bluefly.com/Tommy-Hilfig...lat-front-pants/cat20306/318445901/detail.fly

http://www.bluefly.com/Jack-Victor-...lat-front-pants/cat20306/315622901/detail.fly

I haven't seen these in Australia so don't know anything about quality or fit. I realise based on price they won't be outstanding quality but I'm looking to replace about 3 suits for day to day wear and as such don't want to spend thousands of dollars.

Perhaps those in the know might recommend some alternate brands that can be bought online for a reasonable cost?

Any constructive comments would be very much appreciated!!

(I like slim fit suits by the way as they suit my body shape)

Thanks for your help very much

2. DanUK1994

DanUK1994 Member

3. Essential

Essential Senior member

Burnished Brown AE Larkins with a charcoal suit, yay or nay?

4. E TF

E TF Senior member

Those look more of a fashion type shoe to me - you might have more luck asking in the SW&D side.
    Incidentally, your shoes will last much longer if you don't wear them every day. Ideally you'd have a minimum of three pairs and give them each a couple of days off in between wearings. In any case, the sort of shoes in the picture, with very thin soft looking soles, don't look like they'd last that long.

5. Samuel Smith

Samuel Smith Senior member

Attending my brother's Graduation from UNC this coming weekend. Intentions are to wear a 'Carolina Blue' shirt with this suit. What tie?

[​IMG][​IMG]

I quite like the idea of a Navy - should I do solid? or pin dots? any other suggestions - I have a decent selection of ties but most are plaid :/..

6. msulinski

msulinski Senior member

I'm not sure about the color coordination, as I don't know how dark the suit is, but I think they are disqualified on style alone. Most people here do not recommend wearing bluchers with suits, let alone loafers. Charcoal suits tend more toward the formal side, too, so this is probably not a good combination.

7. Essential

Essential Senior member

The event I'm attending is pretty informal and will be attended by mostly kids. I'll probably drop by the AE sale and pick up some captoes I guess.

8. ethanm

ethanm Senior member

Short trenches that aren't Burberry? Specifically looking for a 38s.

9. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

Try the J. Crew Sutherland trench in a Small. I had one it was short as hell. Had to sell it.

10. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

Solid navy, or chocolate, a grenadine weave would look nice.

Last edited: May 7, 2012
  11. Samuel Smith

Samuel Smith Senior member

thank ya kindly, sir.

12. hegotgam24

hegotgam24 New Member

Frequent Troller, first time Poster. I have a few upcoming black-tie weddings and wanted to do something a little different. All I currently own is a very basic black men's wearhouse tux, purchased a few years back. I want to upgrade and add a little more flair to it.

I love this one blazer I came across on Pinterest - couldn't find anything too similar, but was told by a female co-worker she's almost positive it's a Tom Ford Smoking Jacket and would likely be in the $1500-2000 range. Do you guys agree that it's Tom Ford? I can't tell what type of material it is.

Does anyone have any recommendations for finding something similar or perhaps cheaper?
    I'm a newbie here and aren't familiar with too many of the brands mentioned.

I'm writing this from Manhattan, so should be able to find something close.

Thanks in Advance....

[​IMG]

13. onix

onix Senior member

Tom Ford. Spring/Summer 2010 collection.

14. hegotgam24

hegotgam24 New Member

Thanks a lot - just came across a link to the whole collection (this is by far the least flashy...haha).

http://swipelife.com/2010/02/08/tom...feed&utm_campaign=Feed:+Swipelife+(SwipeLife)

Do you know where I may be able to locate the real thing? Or have any idea as to cost? Any idea on material?
    It will probably be way out of my price range, so if you have any advice on how to best find something similar? Or have you seen anything similar?

Thanks again.

15. Essential

Essential Senior member

So I have a tie that's about 2.75 inches at its widest point. Should I get a suit with a 2.75 inch lapel thing?