Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Master-Classter, Sep 28, 2008.

1. tlaurence

tlaurence New Member

2. 12345Michael54321

12345Michael54321 Senior member

Dr. Invisible? :)

3. CruzAzul

CruzAzul Senior member

And there, in a nutshell, is the problem with tumblr.

4. kindofyoung

kindofyoung Senior member

So I just found this 2-piece suit on ebay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=140746363239#ht_4832wt_1272

and now I'm wondering if it will fit me.

The length of both the jacket and sleeves seem close to perfect but i'm wondering about the shoulder-length.

The shoulder length on my everyday sportjacket is 17"-17.5", so I'm wondering if it will be too small with 16.5 as it states on ebay.
    But then again, (i don't really know how to explain this, just bear with me ^^) the shoulder-seams seem sewn closer to the collar on the lanvin compared than on my filippa k, so it is possible it would fit me perfect.

I will likely have to make some alteration, probably taper the waist, but after that I'd probably have a pretty damn good looking suit for 70-80 $

so, any thoughts if I should go for it? [​IMG]

5. kindofyoung

So I just found this 2-piece suit on ebay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mens-Vintag...A_MC_Suits&hash=item20c5231167#ht_4832wt_1272

and now I'm wondering if it will fit me.

The length of both the jacket and sleeves seem close to perfect but i'm wondering about the shoulder-length.

The shoulder length on my everyday sportjacket is 17"-17.5", so I'm wondering if it will be too small with 16.5 as it states on ebay.
    But then again, (i don't really know how to explain this, just bear with me ^^) the shoulder-seams seem to be sewn closer to the collar on the lanvin compared than on my filippa k, so it is possible it would fit me perfectly

I will likely have to make some alteration, probably taper the waist, but after that I'd probably have a pretty damn good looking suit for 70-80 $

so, any thoughts if I should go for it? [​IMG]

Last edited: May 5, 2012
  6. cptjeff

cptjeff Senior member

^Fair warning, that looks to be a mislabeled 38s rather than a 36s. 21" across the chest and a 32 waist on the pants.

7. scbudd

scbudd New Member

Does anyone know the best way to care for shoes made from Horween Chromexcel leather? I have 2 pair of Alden's that are Chromexcel and have received conflicting advice from Leffot and Leather Soul.
    Thanks,
    Scott

8. kindofyoung

ouch, I'm like 18 across the chest ^^
    and correct me if I'm wrong, but I assume it's not a good idea to try and taper a whole 3" of the chest?

anyway, thanks a lot for the heads-up [​IMG]

9. cptjeff

cptjeff Senior member

You have a 36" chest. The pit to pit is doubled, and most jackets will have about 4" extra room in the chest to move- your standard size 36 would have a 40" chest. This one has a 42" chest, so you'd only be removing 2 inches from 42. Still, that combined with the waist size of 32 (standard drop is 6" from the chest size, so a size 36 has a 30" waist standard), makes me pretty sure the seller just mislabeled it. Theoretically you could take it in, but if the whole thing is a size too big that's best aboided.

You're looking for jackets with a pit to pit of ~20".

10. clarksdb

clarksdb Senior member

11. kindofyoung

Thanks, I'm still REALLY new to this, first time I took measurements of myself was yesterday [​IMG]

I'll probably pass this one on, I'm not really in need of a suit right now, it would have been more of a spontaneous purchase.

But once again, thanks for such a thorough explanation ^^

12. Dingusberry

Dingusberry Senior member

What do you guys think about Ralph Lauren polos? Are they tacky or okay to wear?

13. ethanm

ethanm Senior member

They are like tshirts for adults. More SF approved polos, as it were, are those with actual collar bands and two-piece collars like these.

14. CruzAzul

CruzAzul Senior member

I loves me some Ralph Lauren, but polos with that stupid horse logo are tacky as hell.

You have a lot of (in my opinion) better choices. Most of my polos are from Avon Celli, Sunspel, or Kent Wang. It pains me greatly to say it, but Michael Kors makes pretty nice polos as well.

15. clarksdb

clarksdb Senior member

Since we are on this subject for polos should they be tucked in with shorts? with jeans? I am okay with tucking in with jeans but I don't know if I dig a shirt tucked in with shorts look.