1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 11: Any Three (3) Customized Ties from Vanda Fine Clothing

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 11th auction of the year is for any three customized ties from Vanda Fine Clothing. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Master-Classter, Sep 28, 2008.

1. msulinski

msulinski Distinguished Member

What shade of brown? I think anything medium to dark brown should work well. I would probably go with the penny loafers.

2. jcb9

jcb9 Senior Member

The BR and the J&M loafers are medium to dark brown. Thank you for your advice.

3. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Stylish Dinosaur Dubiously Honored

Derby's are technically casual shoes, so yes. I would look for Alden, or Allen Edmonds used on ebay.

4. radiocures

radiocures Member

I live in an area with very limited retail options for men's clothing - Belk is one the higher end stores nearby - and the ones we do have carry a very limited selection.

I'm a novice when it comes to fit or style, and I'm looking for a fairly mainstream navy blazer. I am very slim and above average height - 6'1", 130lbs - and 36R has the been the best fit OTR that I can find; shoulders are usually okay, chest sometimes too large, and waist almost always too large.

After visiting every store in the area, I found four navy blazers. Three are low-end with lousy material that I don't care for; the last large enough I worry if it will look okay after alterations.

I don't live near any big cities, and it's difficult for me to travel. When I do, I rarely have a lot of time available to clothes shop.

I'm considering trying online MTM even though I don't have any jackets that fit well. I'm also thinking of ordering jackets from places like Zappos and Nordstrom and returning them until I find one that fits, though I feel a little bad doing that.

What would you do in my situation?

(Note: I'd like to spend less than $500 for the blazer.)

5. patrickBOOTH

Move out of the sticks.

6. radiocures

radiocures Member

I'm planning on it, but it's 2-3 years out. :)

7. patrickBOOTH

Save your money for 2-3 years and get something nice. :)

8. taxgenius

taxgenius Distinguished Member

Looks fine.

9. taxgenius

taxgenius Distinguished Member

10. patrickBOOTH

Really? Why? Because they are formal? If you get that picky than even the sportcoat would be too casual.

11. ccardill

ccardill Member

I would typically wear them with suits. I prefer the punch cap over the plain cap but didn't know if the punch was acceptable for interviews, funerals, etc. I assume it is.

12. travelhacker

travelhacker Member

what color tie should i wear with a navy suit? gold or baby blue?

13. Dark Knot

Dark Knot Affiliate Vendor

Hey Erik,

First things is - does this look like an Hermes design. Obviously, original designs can be replicated, but that should be one of the first things to look for. This does look like a typical Hermes design. Secondly, based on the tipping of this tie, it looks authentic, given that Hermes ties are typically tipped with silk of the same color or similar color to that which is the dominant color of the tie i.e yellow in this case. Thirdly, what you might want to do is walk into a high end store at a mall that sells Hermes ties, and look to see if your tie has similar stitching. As far as I remember, Hermes ties are quite discreet with their stitching, whereas some other luxury tie manufacturers like Pal Zileri have stitching on the back of the tie that is much more visible to the eye i.e on the outside of the fabric.

Another thing to look out for is interlining. This is the material that is inside the tie and is what gives the tie additional weight and helps to keep its form. If you cannot reach into the tie with your hands, its a sign that it has been fully seamed up inside, which is what hermes typically does. If you really want to go the extra mile, break a few threads, pull out the interlining, and make sure its not plain polyester. If it is, chances are its fake. Obviously, this depends on whether you want to break up the therads and re-stitch them by yourself.

I know this was quite detailed, but just to summarize, to compare what you bought to the original product, look for the following (1) Design similarities (2) Color and fabric of the tipping (3) Stitching (4) Quality of the interlining. Hope this helps.

14. cptjeff

cptjeff Distinguished Member

Absolutely, a punch cap will be more than suitable for anything short of black tie, which you could use a highly polished plain captoe for.

15. tlaurence

tlaurence New Member

Can anybody tell me who made this tie?!?!?!??!