Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Master-Classter, Sep 28, 2008.

1. Gauss17

Gauss17 Senior member

Will do. They are about a year old, fair amount of wear, not a large amount though.

2. Gdot

Gdot Senior member

It's a little much for creasing. But shell is known for taking on a large 'roll' instead of creases. Your shoes look about right for a pair of Alden shells that are at least 1/2 size too large. A good snug fit from the start really helps control the amount of roll. But nothing will eliminate it. It is part of the charm of shell shoes.

Brush them briskly until your arm falls off, or until the creases shine brightly and call it day!

3. Tommi

Tommi Senior member

Could somebody measure AE Park Avenue shoes in size 10.5 E for me? I need outsole length, insole length and outsole width measurements.

4. Gauss17

Gauss17 Senior member

The creasing doesn't bother me, it's the heel slipping :D.

5. pronxs

pronxs Senior member

[​IMG]

conservative enough for interviews? or is the grey too light?
    (click for bigger)

Last edited: May 3, 2012

6. Erik JN

Erik JN New Member

Hi guys,

I just got what appears to be an Hermés tie off a local thrift store, and after scrolling through a couple of guides on how to spot a fake, I think it seems genuine. It's got twill going from 11 to 5, the thread loop, the tag seems legit etc.

I know many of you guys have heaps of experience spotting fakes though, so I would really appreciate some SF input.

Here's a couple of photos:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Thanks!

Erik JN

7. Winston S.

Winston S. Senior member

I think fit is kind of subjective in this instance. Your best bet is to bring the tailor a picture of what you want it to look like so he can try and alter it to look similar, otherwise unless there are some glaring fit issues (e.g., arms too long, waist too baggy, etc), he won't know what you want.

8. noob in 89

noob in 89 Senior member

Please for the love of Santa someone shoot me a few options for some non-Alden boots that are:

- casual
    - cordovan
    - long lasting
    - can be beat to shit; will actually look better over time (in all their beat-to-shit-ed-ness)
    - slim-ish; will work well with slim khakis
    - resolable
    - patently awesome

I'm loving Alden's #8 color, but none of the lasts really work for me.

Thanks!

9. bcc625

bcc625 New Member

Hi All,

I'm completely new to this kind of community, and am trying to wear more fitting clothes.

Here is my first rookie question (hopefully you'll be easy one me).

How should slim and tight fitting chinos/pants fit on someone? I just purchased a few 31x32 JCrew slim chinos, and I'm feeling a bit out of my element. The waist and length are fine, the width of the pant knee down is fine, but from the knee up I feel restricted. I'm unsure if this is because I'm not used to this or is because these are actually too skinny for my legs. I've read a few posts where people are saying Jcrew slim chinos are actually wider around the thigh than other slim brands.

Would a picture lead me to better answers?

10. kindofyoung

kindofyoung Senior member

Real quick question, there is this big ebay seller called BHOF that surely most of you here know about, who sell a lot of blazers and alikes but never writes more specific measurements than 40R or 44S etc,etc. My question is, would it be correct that a 36S often is around 17 inches from shoulder to shoulder and would fit me if i'm 5,9 feet tall and kind of skinny?
    Obviously there's no way telling for sure if it will fit me perfectly with such few measurements, but then again, I know a really good tailor, so I just want to know if it will fit good enough? [​IMG]

And also, anyone have any experience with Chaps by Ralph Lauren, found a blazer for 44 total including shipping, so maybe 60-70 to make it fit real good, would you consider it worth it?

11. kindofyoung

kindofyoung Senior member

Most of you probably know about BFOH on ebay (they sell a lot of blazers, who are overall as new, but with some small defect, and so they sell them real cheap, for around 5-10 $)
    Now, they never put up specific measurements, but do you think a 36S will fit me well with some alterations if necessary? (I'm around 5,9 feet, a bit skinny, 17" shoulder to shoulder)

Also, anyone have any experience with "chaps by ralph lauren" and if so, would you consider a really nice blazer worth paying 60-70 $ for? (including the price for the blazer itself, shipping, and some minor alterations)

12. onix

onix Senior member

authentic.

13. upcoast

upcoast New Member

New member here:

I'm going to an evening wedding (not my own) in just over a week and I desperately need a suit. I'm halfway through college at the moment so I'm sure it well get a fair amount of use in the coming few years.

So I have a budget of 300-400 or as high as 450 dollars for the suit. I have shoes, shirts, ties etc. already but simply don't have a suit yet.

I'd like it to be a darker navy but I could be convinced of another color. Black could look nice but I have heard it's not versatile enough to be someone's only suit.

My question is which brands sell worthwhile suits in this price range. I'm having trouble finding suits that aren't $200 trash or $600+. What brands should I look for in the next few days? (If the tailor can do it quickly enough I hope to have small alterations done; I'd rather have a less expensive well fitting suit than the other way around).

14. 4utomattic

4utomattic Active Member

Have you looked at Ron Rider?

15. ccardill

ccardill Member