• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Lazytiki

Reaction score
Starting a summer law firm job in a few weeks and have a few questions. The summer dress code is relaxed to shirt and pants except on days when you are going to court. I stopped by the local mens store and they said it would be better to spend my limited budget on pants over shirt (they showed me a few pairs of Coppley for close to $200). The problem I face with dress shirts is that I live in Saskatchewan and don't have access to great sales to find good quality on sale, so I am limited to moores, tiptop, the bay, winners, or anything decent on the sales rack at local mens stores. Would anyone give me some advice on the best way to stretch my budget for the summer on pants and shirts and maybe some brands to look for.

Thank you

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Starting a summer law firm job in a few weeks and have a few questions. The summer dress code is relaxed to shirt and pants except on days when you are going to court. I stopped by the local mens store and they said it would be better to spend my limited budget on pants over shirt (they showed me a few pairs of Coppley for close to $200). The problem I face with dress shirts is that I live in Saskatchewan and don't have access to great sales to find good quality on sale, so I am limited to moores, tiptop, the bay, winners, or anything decent on the sales rack at local mens stores. Would anyone give me some advice on the best way to stretch my budget for the summer on pants and shirts and maybe some brands to look for.
Thank you

Look at Charles Tyrwhitt shirts online, they go on sale all of the time.

aglass

Reaction score
Thank you

Shirts: As already mentioned, Tyrwhitt shirts are always on sale - if you have an AMEX card, you can buy their shirts (with a free tie & free shipping) for $39.50 each here: http://www.ctshirts.co.uk/Default.aspx?q=windsor|||||||||||||||. TM Lewin is comparable quality and also always has sales running - right now it is 4 for 90 pounds (or ~$150). Brooks Brothers is also around the same class / a small step up, and they have their 3 for $199 deals for their standard line (i.e., not luxury). Harvie and Hudson is higher quality then all these listed, and you can get 3 of those for about $72 each (minus shipping).

Pants: If you like slim pants, I love the Brooks Brothers Milano Chinos - not wool, but a 'dressy cotton' that feels great. I'm assuming their other chinos (Clark, Regent) are just as nice. I love my Incotex and Mabitex (~100 each on the B/S for wool), but they are very slim. It's too bad you only have a few weeks, or I'd advise you to just continue to check the B/S forum for some good deals.

I'd say this: especially for pants, make sure you know your measurements. Expensive, high-end clothing still doesn't look great on people if it doesn't fit well.

Last edited:

Lynx_the_one

Reaction score
I need a slim, white dress shirt or tuxedo shirt by saturday (It's for my prom, the shirt that came with the rental tux is enormous, and I have no white shirts). I'm fine with it falling apart after one wash, it just needs to be inexpensive. Any suggestions?

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

http://i45.tinypic.com/wgq34w.jpg

does anyone know where can i buy shoes like this, or at least similar shoes?

I think anywhere these days.

I need a slim, white dress shirt or tuxedo shirt by saturday (It's for my prom, the shirt that came with the rental tux is enormous, and I have no white shirts). I'm fine with it falling apart after one wash, it just needs to be inexpensive. Any suggestions?

Charles Tyrwhitt, Ralph Lauren, Brooks Brothers...

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

calcoast

Reaction score

Check out places like Burlington, Ross, TJ Maxx or the clearance sections in department stores. Im sure you'll be able to find a slim-fit white shirt for ~$15 that should last atleast one wear. Good luck and have fun...

pascoa341

Reaction score
Hi there, new here to styleforum. I need a new suit for weddings and general business wear. I do not feel very comfortable in the very slick salesperson suits that you tend to get dressed in if you go into your local suitshop (At least here in the North West UK) As I mentioned I am a NOOB, but I do know that I want something different from the standard suit. I'd like it to be slightly more sporty (should be wearable without a tie) and preferably in a bit of a funky slim fit (secretly I love 70s suits, but I don't think I could away with this anymore). What are good places to buy a decent suit in the Northwest of England (I live in Cumbria) that have styles that are a bit 'out there' and that can dress you up decently? Price range is more or less up to £400/ £500 so probably off the peg. Thanks!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads