• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Essential

Reaction score
No offense, but it was rather long. Is there a tl;dr portion?

But regardless, I skimmed it and I got the impression that buttons on the collars is generally becoming more accepted. Am I right? (sorry but I had a long day and have no mental capacity to read any more today.) The help is very much appreciated.

Last edited:

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

But regardless, I skimmed it and I got the impression that buttons on the collars is generally becoming more accepted. Am I right? (sorry but I had a long day and have no mental capacity to read any more today.) The help is very much appreciated.

Basically, it's fine in the US outside of highly formal situations.

mylastfewdays

Reaction score
paired with an outfit like this, won't the bracelets + watch combination look good? i'm only 18, so I'm not going a very grown up look.

12345Michael54321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'll summarize it.

The rule against wearing shirts with button down collars with suits was never universally accepted,. There were always plenty of men who opted to ignore it. In particular, it never fully took hold in certain Northeast/New England prep school/Ivy League circles.

Whatever authority the rule once had, has diminished over the years.

Some people still grant the rule some authority, but more in regard to conservative business suits, than to more casual suits.

Attitudes toward the rule can vary by location. What is perfectly acceptable in California or Miami, is not necessary what is perfectly acceptable in Manhattan or London.

I routinely wear OCBDs with business suits.

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

paired with an outfit like this, won't the bracelets + watch combination look good? i'm only 18, so I'm not going a very grown up look.

Wear 'em if you want, but I'm against bracelets as a general matter. That's not a universal attitude here, but generally, I think they come across as trying too hard.

Jester87

Reaction score
I just picked up a new pair of AE Park Avenues, but I won't be wearing them for about 4 weeks. I have three questions:

1) Should I put trees in them now?

2) How long will they take to break in?

3) Will I need to rotate them if I plan on wearing dress shoes 5 days a week for the summer?

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

So do I either get a suit that looks good standing up or one that looks good otherwise? Are there other ways to compensate to make it look better? Would that suit I linked just never look good sitting down? I guess unbuttoning it when you sit helps and you just never raise your arms with it buttoned?

Well, the link you posted doesn't work, but I know what you are looking for. With that kind of cut you are very limited. I mean it is fine for what it is, but you can't have a modern slim suit and not have it tugging when you move and such. When sitting you should always unbutton your jacket anyway, unless it is a double breasted jacket. The compensation is to have a draped chest, but that is largely just a bespoke thing. The next thing you can do is just get a more traditional cut suit from J. Press, or Brooks Brothers, Ralph Lauren etc.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I just picked up a new pair of AE Park Avenues, but I won't be wearing them for about 4 weeks. I have three questions:

3) Will I need to rotate them if I plan on wearing dress shoes 5 days a week for the summer?

1. If your feet aren't in the shoes trees should be, always.

2. Few wears.

3. Yes, never wear the same pair two days in a row. I would have at least 3 pairs.

KObalto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
1) It wouldn't hurt to put trees in now, but it isn't essential.
2) Depends on fit, how long you wear them, etc. In my experience, it only takes a couple of wears except for double-soled shoes.
3) Wear them no more than every other day. I would recommend at least 3 pairs of shoes if wearing 5 days a week and would suggest adding an oxblood and a brown pair to your rotation.

Last edited:

NORE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

a. Condition them, then shine and store them in the box with correctly sized trees inserted.
b. In the weeks leading up to your initially wearing them for a full day, wear them around the house for an hour or so at least twice weekly*. Repeat b as needed.
c. If you plan on keeping them in good shape for any length of time you should rotate them with another pair.

*especially if your feet aren't accustomed to wearing leather-soled shoes all day.

dc1976

Reaction score
Looking for some ideas here...

I love getting a deal and I've been known to buy blazers online for next to nothing (at $35, for instance, a label I'm familiar with is well worth taking a chance, and I have yet to be sorry). I've built a relationship with a great tailor and now he knows my tastes and preferences with little discussion necessary.

I really enjoy making these my own and incorporating them into my wardrobe with more expensive items. Right now I'm looking for interesting ideas for adjustments my tailor can make beyond just the fit. We've discussed elbow patches and new buttons and/or working cuffs, but I'm looking for some more interesting ideas to make a basic blazer or suit into a distinctive, personalized garment (such as contrasting stitching on the button holes?).

I figured others might have some thoughts here, and I'm really interested to hear what you have tried, or would like to try in this area.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads