1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 10: A full set of Aesop's Fables pocket squares from Vanda Fine Clothing

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 10th auction of the year is for a full set of Aesop's Fable's pocket squares from Vanda Fine Clothing. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Master-Classter, Sep 28, 2008.

1. Essential

Essential Senior Member

No offense, but it was rather long. Is there a tl;dr portion?

But regardless, I skimmed it and I got the impression that buttons on the collars is generally becoming more accepted. Am I right? (sorry but I had a long day and have no mental capacity to read any more today.) The help is very much appreciated.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2012

2. cptjeff

cptjeff Distinguished Member

Basically, it's fine in the US outside of highly formal situations.

3. mylastfewdays

mylastfewdays Member

paired with an outfit like this, won't the bracelets + watch combination look good? i'm only 18, so I'm not going a very grown up look.

[​IMG]

4. 12345Michael54321

12345Michael54321 Distinguished Member

I'll summarize it.

The rule against wearing shirts with button down collars with suits was never universally accepted,. There were always plenty of men who opted to ignore it. In particular, it never fully took hold in certain Northeast/New England prep school/Ivy League circles.

Whatever authority the rule once had, has diminished over the years.

Some people still grant the rule some authority, but more in regard to conservative business suits, than to more casual suits.

Attitudes toward the rule can vary by location. What is perfectly acceptable in California or Miami, is not necessary what is perfectly acceptable in Manhattan or London.

I routinely wear OCBDs with business suits.

5. cptjeff

cptjeff Distinguished Member

Wear 'em if you want, but I'm against bracelets as a general matter. That's not a universal attitude here, but generally, I think they come across as trying too hard.

6. Winston S.

Winston S. Distinguished Member

I like bracelets, but three and a watch is just too much IMO.

7. Jester87

Jester87 Well-Known Member

I just picked up a new pair of AE Park Avenues, but I won't be wearing them for about 4 weeks. I have three questions:

1) Should I put trees in them now?

2) How long will they take to break in?

3) Will I need to rotate them if I plan on wearing dress shoes 5 days a week for the summer?

8. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Stylish Dinosaur Dubiously Honored

Well, the link you posted doesn't work, but I know what you are looking for. With that kind of cut you are very limited. I mean it is fine for what it is, but you can't have a modern slim suit and not have it tugging when you move and such. When sitting you should always unbutton your jacket anyway, unless it is a double breasted jacket. The compensation is to have a draped chest, but that is largely just a bespoke thing. The next thing you can do is just get a more traditional cut suit from J. Press, or Brooks Brothers, Ralph Lauren etc.

9. patrickBOOTH

1. If your feet aren't in the shoes trees should be, always.

2. Few wears.

3. Yes, never wear the same pair two days in a row. I would have at least 3 pairs.

10. KObalto

KObalto Distinguished Member

1) It wouldn't hurt to put trees in now, but it isn't essential.
    2) Depends on fit, how long you wear them, etc. In my experience, it only takes a couple of wears except for double-soled shoes.
    3) Wear them no more than every other day. I would recommend at least 3 pairs of shoes if wearing 5 days a week and would suggest adding an oxblood and a brown pair to your rotation.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2012

11. NORE

NORE Distinguished Member

a. Condition them, then shine and store them in the box with correctly sized trees inserted.
    b. In the weeks leading up to your initially wearing them for a full day, wear them around the house for an hour or so at least twice weekly*. Repeat b as needed.
    c. If you plan on keeping them in good shape for any length of time you should rotate them with another pair.

*especially if your feet aren't accustomed to wearing leather-soled shoes all day.

12. patrickBOOTH

Fuck how many people need to answer the same questions?

13. NORE

NORE Distinguished Member

The number is endless until the correct/best answer comes along. ;)

14. Winston S.

Winston S. Distinguished Member

Maybe 3 is the magic number.

15. dc1976

dc1976 Member

Looking for some ideas here...

I love getting a deal and I've been known to buy blazers online for next to nothing (at $35, for instance, a label I'm familiar with is well worth taking a chance, and I have yet to be sorry). I've built a relationship with a great tailor and now he knows my tastes and preferences with little discussion necessary.

I really enjoy making these my own and incorporating them into my wardrobe with more expensive items. Right now I'm looking for interesting ideas for adjustments my tailor can make beyond just the fit. We've discussed elbow patches and new buttons and/or working cuffs, but I'm looking for some more interesting ideas to make a basic blazer or suit into a distinctive, personalized garment (such as contrasting stitching on the button holes?).

I figured others might have some thoughts here, and I'm really interested to hear what you have tried, or would like to try in this area.