1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 10: A full set of Aesop's Fables pocket squares from Vanda Fine Clothing

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 10th auction of the year is for a full set of Aesop's Fable's pocket squares from Vanda Fine Clothing. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Master-Classter, Sep 28, 2008.

1. hyt123

hyt123 Senior Member

Wonder where Zara gets off calling those boots, which those are anything but. Anyway, look on eBay for Clarks Bushacre Lo.

2. Winston S.

Winston S. Distinguished Member

I'm oftentimes feel that OCBD look out of place with wool trousers too the same way piqued polos do, more so because of the material than the style of the shirt.

3. medicaloperafan

medicaloperafan Member

I always wear a pocket square with suit jackets and odd jackets (blazers/sport jackets), even if I decide not to wear a neck tie.
    I recently purchased the following sport jacket and it fits perfectly minus the sleeves. It does not have a traditional breast pocket intended for a pocket square but rather two pockets with "flaps" (sargent blazer??. However, I experimented with a pocketsquare and home.

Any thoughts on this? Common? Faux pas? I haven't seen anyone do it. I'm all for breaking rules...sometimes....

I consider a somewhat casual sport coat.

[​IMG]
    NOTICE TWO POCKETS WITH "FLAPS"

At home experiment:
    [​IMG]

4. medicaloperafan

medicaloperafan Member

I always wear a pocket square with suit jackets and odd jackets (blazers/sport jackets), even if I decide not to wear a neck tie.
    I recently purchased the following sport jacket and it fits perfectly minus the sleeves. It does not have a traditional breast pocket intended for a pocket square but rather two pockets with "flaps" (sargent blazer??. However, I experimented with a pocketsquare and home.

Any thoughts on this? Common? Faux pas? I haven't seen anyone do it. I'm all for breaking rules...sometimes....

I consider a somewhat casual sport coat.

[​IMG]
    NOTICE TWO POCKETS WITH "FLAPS"

At home experiment:
    [​IMG]

5. Essential

Essential Senior Member

For a dress shirt, should there be buttons on the collar? I was looking at the Hyde Park from Lands End and it has buttons. I thought the proper way to wear dress shirts with a suit was with no buttons on the collar. (typed hastily)

6. 12345Michael54321

12345Michael54321 Distinguished Member

Essential, I did address the button down collar thing about 7 posts up from yours, in response to a question from wannabe.
    --
    Michael

7. matstyleku

matstyleku Senior Member

such a variety of answers. I already have the Allen Edmonds Malvern in the dark suede and for some reason to me, they just don't seem right in spring/summer. I'm going to look for a pair of oxfords, any recommendations for brand? I'm looking to spend around 200. It doesn't seem that Allen Edmonds have any.

8. PhiPsi32

PhiPsi32 Distinguished Member

The Allen Edmonds Neumok is an unlined oxford short wing available in snuff and tan suede, $250.

9. JubeiSpiegel

JubeiSpiegel Distinguished Member

That, or wait for the Nordstrom Anniversary sale, and get the Strand or Park Ave for $200...

10. bnovc

bnovc Well-Known Member

So do I either get a suit that looks good standing up or one that looks good otherwise? Are there other ways to compensate to make it look better? Would that suit I linked just never look good sitting down? I guess unbuttoning it when you sit helps and you just never raise your arms with it buttoned?

11. mylastfewdays

mylastfewdays Member

what do you guys think about the top green bracelet paired with the watch? or would it look better with all 3 bracelets + watch?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 23, 2012

12. PhiPsi32

PhiPsi32 Distinguished Member

^^^ Sorry but what do you want the suit for? You can go for a slim or tapered look that still gives you room to work. Finding one off the rack that fits exactly right is tough. I usually budget about $100 for alterations.

Be careful when you post links, the period at the leads to an error.

13. cptjeff

cptjeff Distinguished Member

Skip the bracelets entirely, just wear the watch.

14. mylastfewdays

mylastfewdays Member

i'm 18, so i'm kind've going for a "fun, summery" feel

paired up with an outfit like this, i think the bracelets + watch would look great? am i wrong lol :p

[​IMG]

15. mylastfewdays

mylastfewdays Member

paired with an outfit like this, won't the bracelets + watch look combination look good. i'm only 18, so i'm not going for an incredibly grown up look.

[​IMG]