1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 7: A Made-to-Measure suit from Lanieri

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 6th auction of the year is for a Made-to-measure suit from Lanieri. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Master-Classter, Sep 28, 2008.

1. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Stylish Dinosaur Dubiously Honored

Yes. Don't do it.

2. inimitable

inimitable Distinguished Member

Can you give reasons why? I did think as much

3. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Stylish Dinosaur Dubiously Honored

It will come out like shit and I am sure in most cases will rub off onto your other clothes and such. Everybody that I have known who has had this done before has ended up ruined. You are going to have to remove all of the lining, buttons and everything to do it and since you can't wash it (which with dyeing you have to do) you will have to sponge clean the shit out of it to get the excess dye out. (dry clean doesn't remove dye). You are going to have to spend a lot of money and time on a jacket that will come out mediocre at very best and possible bleed onto things. After fabric goes through its finishing process it doesn't want to be dyed. You may even have to do it several times so the dye sets into the yarns properly. There is just no rational reason for going through all of this, or even thinking it. Sell the coat, or wear it, that's it.

4. inimitable

inimitable Distinguished Member

Thank you for a thorough answer. I'll sell it. No way I can wear white in the Uk

5. cptjeff

cptjeff Distinguished Member

They really are quite a steal. 34mm too, so a great size for smaller guy like myself. Besides hating the hockey puck aesthetic in watches, my wrist simply can't accommodate those giant things.

The military style combined with the price lets it transition great. It feels just as appropriate camping as it does in formal settings, and you don't feel guilty throwing it on to go running or doing yardwork.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2012

6. jrd617

jrd617 Stylish Dinosaur

Not sure I see the jacket length issue. It's a newer, shorter Isaia model. Ends maybe 0.25 inches before my knuckles

I'm always going to have a messed up collar before alterations. I have very square shoulders.

What struck me in the picture was waist. Quarters seem very open. Does it look overly tight?

7. Dingusberry

Dingusberry Senior Member

How good are A.P.Cs rawdenim jeans compared to other jeans (for example: Nudie, Cheap Monday, Levis)?

8. So(cal)Steezy

So(cal)Steezy Member

A.P.C.'s are a classic in the denim world IMO. I personally like the quality of A.P.C. but really don't like their fits. My APC's have held up better than my other brands. I own a pair right now but never seem to wear them anymore...probably because I prefer the fits that Nudies provides more. I know my next pair of jeans will probably be another pair of Nudies.

It's all preference at the end of the day. Use and fit matter most for me. I don't wear my jeans in professional settings (casual Fridays and such) so I don't mind the Nudie stitching. I know others who hate it or don't think its appropriate for their use...

9. Victor Elfo

Victor Elfo Senior Member

Is donning waistcoats with belts a sartorial sin? Higher waist trousers flatters the waistcoat?
    Thanks in advance.

10. 12345Michael54321

12345Michael54321 Distinguished Member

Typically, yes. A vest (waistcoat) should properly cover the waistband of one's pants. Consequently, a belt will tend to protrude under the vest, adding girth, drawing the eye to the waist, and ruining the smooth line.

Freakish exceptions may exist, of course. Few rules on proper attire are utterly without their exceptions. But that's the rule, and the reasons behind the rule. And because it's a pretty well established rule, I'd advise against violating it even if your belt and buckle are so thin that they'd be invisible beneath the vest. Or even if you're wearing your vest over low-riding jeans, so the vest doesn't cover the waistband - which tends to be a horrible look, btw.

11. cptjeff

cptjeff Distinguished Member

It only matters because of the thickness of the belt, so why not wear a D ring belt or the like? If the conditions for the rule having to exist are not met, feel free to ignore the rule.

12. soundsgood

soundsgood Senior Member

13. diglett

diglett Senior Member

Can sunken metal toe taps be applied to shoes with worn soles (even just slightly), or do the soles have to be flawless when handing over the shoes to a cobbler to put in the sunken plates?

14. TuckerSon

TuckerSon Active Member

15. lmaligaya

lmaligaya Senior Member