1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 8: A Bespoke Coat from David Reeves

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 6th auction of the year is for a Bespoke Coat from David Reeves. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Master-Classter, Sep 28, 2008.

1. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Stylish Dinosaur Dubiously Honored

Shirt alterations is like Tailoring 101. Trust me, nobody cares. A nice fitting suit jacket, or sportcoat is true art.

2. Essential

Essential Senior Member

For pants, what is the difference between hem and taper?

For shirts, what is the difference between pulling in the sides, darting, and pinning?

Excuse my noob questions :)

3. ter1413

ter1413 Stylish Dinosaur

A hem is the stitch that is used to set the length of your pants. So your tailor will fold under the extra material and ask you how high/long you would like the pants before he/she stitches it. ALWAYS try to wear dress shoes when getting measured....

A taper is how "narrow" you would like your pants. So some people take a new pair of pants that fit well in the waist to their tailor to get the "leg" part narrowed a bit. Sometimes a style preference. Sometimes to have the pants fit better...

4. CDHagg

CDHagg Distinguished Member

5. rc-grad

rc-grad Active Member

That's right. Generally, a size 40 jacket would measure 42-44" in the chest, depending on how slim the cut is. If your chest is 39.5" and you try to wear a jacket measuring 40" across the chest, it'd be too tight for comfort, obviously.

6. wannabe

wannabe Senior Member

[​IMG]

What color buttons should I get to replace the metal silver ones?

The jacket is a DB gray tweed with hints of blue with patch pockets.

7. musicguy

musicguy Distinguished Member

I think dakish brown horn will work well.

8. smchasta

smchasta New Member

Does anyone have a schedule for Zegna Su Misura trunk shows this quarter? I have been looking for this EVERYWHERE and it's impossible.

9. TheYachtMaster

TheYachtMaster Member

Sorry to bother everyone with stupid questions.

I recently bought a Gant shirt in hugger fit, size small. I am 6' and 155 pounds, about a 36" chest. It fits great in every way but the shoulders bother me. They seem to be rather smaller than all of my other shirts and I am wondering if they are too small or if all of my other shirts have been to big.

Basically, this boils down to the question as to how shoulders in shirts should fit.

Here is the gant. Easy to see where the shoulder seem lies (sorry or corny self-taken photos in the bathroom mirror).

[​IMG]

Now here is how I thought shoulders are supposed to fit, as exhibited by an RL custom fit OCBD. Less slim overall, but still a pretty decent shirt. I added a line to show where the seems lies as it is less obvious.

[​IMG]

The shoulders on the gant just seem so narrow, which is a shame considering it is pretty superior in every other way.

Thanks

Last edited: Apr 8, 2012

10. VLSI

VLSI Distinguished Member

Shoulders on the Gant are definitely too small. Second shirt looks much better on you. First one seems to emphasize the slope of your shoulder as well.

11. wallofiron

wallofiron New Member

Is there a website where I can view different new outfits for me already put together?

I can pick tops, bottoms and shoes I like but can never ever put them together with accessories no matter how hard I try. I keep searching online for a website that has at least pics of outfits already together and maybe has a "here's where you can buy it" link

any websites like that?

thanks

12. stevent

stevent Distinguished Member

Mr. Porter, Park & Bond, Tres Bien Shop, Arrow and Arrow,

13. bchin415

bchin415 Member

This will probably be a stupid question but here I go..

I have a job interview this week, but it will likely be on a day that's raining. Would I potentially ruin my Cole Haan oxfords if I get them wet? I never had a pair of "good" dress shoes before so I'm not very aware of what could happen.

14. Harold falcon

Harold falcon Stylish Dinosaur

Cole Haan is not generally thought of as a "good" dress shoe, but simply getting them wet won't ruin any leather shoe so long as you aren't dunking them under water. If they get wet, simply wipe them off. If they get really soaked then take them off as soon as you can, stuff them with newspaper and allow them to dry for a while before inserting shoe trees. Apply leather conditioner and don't wear them again until they are completely dry.

15. JubeiSpiegel

JubeiSpiegel Distinguished Member

What kind of soles are you looking at here? I would not worry for rubber, but leather will need to be dried off later.

On the leather you can use a leather water proof spray if you are really worried about it.