1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Master-Classter, Sep 28, 2008.

1. six1101

six1101 Member

Does anybody know how Chippewa GQ's fit compared to Iron Rangers? I tried Iron Rangers on, but I might just go for the cheaper Chippewas.

2. Coldsnap

Coldsnap Senior member

Hmm ya crease.. From the thigh down

3. 12345Michael54321

12345Michael54321 Senior member

You get back the crease with an iron. A little starch wouldn't hurt, either.

4. SnakeEyes121

SnakeEyes121 New Member

Boots
    Does anyone know which boots are the ones in the middle to the right side (with the red socks). Please and thank you!

5. yywwyy

yywwyy Senior member

I hate these click-photos. I'm always weary of downloading anything presented this way, but I just can't resist my curiosity....

6. Invictus146

Invictus146 Member

Hey guys (1st post), middle-long time lurker

Just wanted to know some quick thoughts on black chukkas - more specifically http://www.lastcall.com/p/Sebago-Tremont-Lace-Up-Boot-Black/.
    Some of my thoughts are similar to what has been expressed by others on the forums. Personally a fan of the chukka style (but not crepe soles) and was originally looking for a pair in brown for more casual, everyday use. However, these seemed to be a good deal and less formal than pure black. My concern regards the mixed look of these shoes - the textured black is more casual but seems strange to me in context of a black chukka. Thanks.

7. Left Hand

Left Hand Senior member

I was reading the WAYW thread and the words "break" and "stacks" kept coming up. I'm wondering what they mean. I know, I know, Sorry, noob question.

Noob question #2: How do I develop a more discerning eye when it comes to what works and what doesn't? I notice in the WAYW thread a lot of people will critique other people's outfits with things that I don't even notice.

8. tobiasj

tobiasj Senior member

Errrrrr...lurk more?

9. tobiasj

tobiasj Senior member

Acrylic knitwear makes baby Jesus cry

2 people like this.
  10. tobiasj

tobiasj Senior member

You've been a member since 2008, and you don't know the difference between a pleat and a crease, or what an iron is for? Just...wow :)

11. Left Hand

Left Hand Senior member

I've been lurking, just recently signed up. There's usually not that much explanation, though..usually just that something doesn't "work" or comments on somebody's fit. I know it's all about aesthetics, I guess I just haven't trained my eye to catch what works and what doesn't yet..just looking for some pointers.

12. Claghorn

Claghorn Senior member Dubiously Honored

I think it was serious suggestion. Well...sort of. I think the best way to get this stuff is osmosis. Just keep looking at what people praise, think about what you like about it, and you'll notice your choices in purchasing and wearing improve organically.

Though by all means, post while doing so (so I suppose...don't lurk more...but observe plenty)

1 person likes this.
  13. Harold falcon

Harold falcon Senior member

Cole Haan does not get a lot of love on these forums, in my opinion for good reason - they are not a good shoe.
    Sure.
    Check with SW&D.
    I disagree completely.

14. Gibonius

Gibonius Senior member

"Break" is a term used for pants to describe how the hem falls. Usually described as "no break," "slight break", or "full break." Can look those up on your own.

"Stacks" is a denim nerd term for how jeans with a longer inseam "stacks" or bunches up around your ankles if the opening is narrow enough.

15. Archimedes

Archimedes Active Member

So, does no one have any experience with (or overall opinion about) the quality of Corneliani leather goods, or should I post the question on a different thread?
    Thanks again and sorry to bump my question, but I was encouraged by the questions of previous posters (mine cannot be that bad)

16. Midnight

Midnight Well-Known Member

Re the question about Mourinho's coat, I'm not 100% sure but I recall the press in the UK saying it was Ermenegildo Zegna.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2012
  17. cptjeff

cptjeff Senior member

Start them on e-bay for $5 and let them go as high as they will. Neither of them are good sweaters, you shouldn't expect too much.

18. IChen

IChen Senior member

Does anyone have suggestions for custom shirts? I'm currently looking for 1-2 nice shirts that will actually fit me better (since I'm so skinny [​IMG] and I already go slim fit) than the RTW I buy at stores. I'm looking to order one with Mina and NSM but does anyone have other suggestions?

19. Laundry Troll

Laundry Troll Member

Joseph A Bank has a doorbuster sale today on their merino wool topcoats for $99. Are they worth it? I've definitely been in the market for one and the price is ridiculous.

20. Harold falcon

Harold falcon Senior member

It doesn't look bad on the website but I've never been impressed by JAB products in the past. And don't rely on the "sale" vs. retail price of $450. I doubt that coat was ever sold for $450. JAB is notorious for misleading sales.

But if you don't have a topcoat, can't wait to peruse ebay or the B&S, can't save money for anything better, and have already visited your local thrift shops and come back empty-handed then go ahead.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2012
    1 person likes this.