1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Master-Classter, Sep 28, 2008.

1. Bartleby Trout

Bartleby Trout Senior member

No offense taken. These are Allen Edmunds loafers and they do look better in person. That said, I have a hard time with loafers... can never seem to make them work for me.

Thanks for replying, though! -- that goes for everyone.

EDIT:

Also... does everyone agree that these are ugly? Not that your word is law (you're not the Judge Dredd of fashion!), but I do take what most people here say somewhat seriously as most of you have a great sense of style.

Thanks!

Last edited: Nov 20, 2012
  2. 12345Michael54321

12345Michael54321 Senior member

They're not the best looking penny loafers I've ever seen, but they're far from ugly.

3. aravenel

aravenel Senior member

Agreed. I wouldn't pick them, but they aren't terrible, certainly not bad enough to get rid of.

And yes, you could definitely wear them with jeans.

4. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

Alden beefroll loafers are nicer, even the RL ones. I think the slight squareness of the toe makes them look tacky.

5. Winston S.

Winston S. Senior member

+1.

6. aravenel

aravenel Senior member

Definitely. These wouldn't be my choice. But they aren't "burn them in the streets" bad either, unlike many of the shoes posted here recently...

7. 12345Michael54321

I agree. But just because Aldens are nicer, doesn't mean that these loafers are terrible. I'd say the shoes in question look okay (for penny loafers - a shoe type for which, admittedly, some people have a blanket dislike). Not great, not awful.

While many types of shoes do, indeed, tend to look tacky with overly square toes, penny loafers strike me as something of an exception to this rule. Consequently, even with the square toes, the shoes look okay. Again, I don't find them to be remarkably attractive (and, just for the record, I'm a big fan of penny loafers), but they look more than acceptable enough that if I already owned them, I wouldn't hesitate to wear them.

What? Like I'm the only one here who sometimes wears a shirt or a tie which is simply okay looking? Sure, it'd be nice, in some ideal sense, if every article of clothing we wore, without exception, looked great. But in the real world, perhaps due to budgetary constraints, or changing tastes, or whatever, most of us do sometimes wear items which we deem to look merely acceptable. Not outright ugly, mind you. But far from great.

8. bourbonbasted

bourbonbasted Senior member

Shun the non-believers.

9. patrickBOOTH

I don't understand the notion of wearing something just because it isn't terrible. If there are better options, go with the better option. Why torture yourself?

10. 12345Michael54321

I may already own the "non-terrible" item. Maybe I bought it at a time when my tastes were different from what they currently are. Maybe I bought it because it was priced really low, and I convinced myself that it would suffice. Maybe I bought it via the Internet and didn't realize all of its shortcomings from the picture/description. Maybe it was a gift. Whatever.

My clothing budget being somewhat less than unlimited, if I already own an item, and it's generally acceptable, I may be reluctant to go out and spend money on a superior replacement item. At least, I may wait a while before replacing it, in the interim spending my money on more immediate wardrobe (and other) needs.

I don't feel tortured at having to wear a clothing item which is simply "adequate." Frankly, living in less than a great house is not torture for me, either. And while I like my new car, I wouldn't call it a great automobile, in some "money is no object" sense. For that matter, that I possess a merely acceptable physique and adequate hair, does not torture me.

I can respect the idea of greatness, but (with a nod to Voltaire) I do not permit perfect to be the enemy of good.

2 people like this.
  11. patrickBOOTH

Sounds like you like to waste money.

12. amathew

amathew Senior member

I've currently accumulated about 3 decent dress shoes and all of them are Allen Edmonds. In the next few months, I'd like to take a step up in the world of leather dress shoes and purchase something that is better such as C&J or Carmina. What would be a good brand that would be considered a step up from AE?

Currently have =
    AE fifth avenue
    BB captoe (made by AE)
    Meermin

Also have some derbies from Common Projects and a casual oxford from Yuketen.

I should note that I work in a casual tech setting and never wear suits to work. I can wear whatever I want and often dress more MC casual 2-3 days a week and dress down (wear sneakers) the other days.

13. patrickBOOTH

Well, Meermin is made by Carmina. I would say Crockett & Jones is a step up and I would even go as far to say Alden is a small step up as well. Any of those you mention would be good if you like the styling. Also look into Church and Cheaney.

14. Bartleby Trout

Bartleby Trout Senior member

Regarding loafers... included in this post are a few ebay postings for used loafers. I was curious as to your opinions about them. Please respond with which one you think is the best of the group if you have a free moment.

Thank you very much. I appreciate all the replies I've gotten on this forum so far. It's a big help. Feel free to just respond with the number (1-7).

1) http://www.ebay.com/itm/200850233276

2) http://www.ebay.com/itm/221155984180

3) http://www.ebay.com/itm/170931212431

4) http://www.ebay.com/itm/261070016549

5) http://www.ebay.com/itm/251163051749

6) http://www.ebay.com/itm/150894562720

7) http://www.ebay.com/itm/271093676870

7 are the ones I have, but am thinking about getting rid of for one of the other options.

15. patrickBOOTH

2 Hands down. Then 1. All of the others are blah to me.

1 person likes this.
  16. yywwyy

yywwyy Senior member

#2.

1 person likes this.
  17. SartorialNYC

SartorialNYC Member

Hey. Just purchased a pair of loafers and I'm wondering what kind of clothes I can wear with these loafers in terms of casual / something a little more formal. Accidentally posted a thread about it and then saw this thread. Thanks.

http://www.parkandbond.com/product/130238931

18. clarksdb

clarksdb Senior member

Need to get a few alterations to a navy blazer I got and looking at around how much these things will/should cost:

1) Shortening the sleeves
    2) Changing the buttons to brown horn

19. style37

style37 Member

Hi does anyone know where I can order, or find something very similar to this jumper?

Or better yet, if a tailor could reproduce it for me, for the best fit? I'm in Bangkok at the moment and I'm getting a suit made by a great tailor so I'm thinking of showing him the photo.. is this the kind of thing a tailor could reproduce; its a little different to the normal suits and shirts they seem to do.

[​IMG]

20. Chase H

Chase H Senior member

Quote: Welcome to literally everything in my wardrobe.