Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Master-Classter, Sep 28, 2008.

1. Harold falcon

Harold falcon Senior member

I'm not too far off from that and you'll have a hard time finding something to fit OTR without alterations. My advice is to get to know a local tailor or seamstress who can make the alterations for you. I have a very nice older Polish lady down the street who I go to and am quite happy with her work.

2. amathew

amathew Senior member

I am thinking about getting my first blazer. It's not something I'd wear too often (1-2 days a week), but it'll be one more versatile piece I can add to my wardrobe. I'd like to go to the store today and get one. Does anyone have any suggestions? Would like to spend less than $200. I was thinking Nord Rack or JCrew.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2012
  3. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

Look on the B&S forum on here.

4. 12345Michael54321

12345Michael54321 Senior member

At least in my book, an article of clothing you wear once or twice per week pretty much qualifies as something you wear fairly often.

Yup, that it will be.

Well, I have no idea where you are or which stores there are near you (other than that there's a Nordstrom Rack and a J. Crew). That having been said, I've heard very good things about the Anderson-Little classic blue blazer, and it's under $200. 'Course, you'd have to order it at andersonlittle.com , and not pick it up at a local store today, but I suppose that'd be my recommendation.
    --
    Michael

5. CousinDonuts

CousinDonuts Senior member

How about some of the bright colored wingtips that are all over the place right now? Or bright car shoes? Or Sperry's? Or Tretorn's?

6. doughboysc

doughboysc Senior member

How many dress shirts does an average man owns? 7 or 16?

7. patrickBOOTH

On this forum? Probably about 90.

But Stu Bloom the dry cleaning expert says a good rule of thumb is the 7-7-7 rule. 7 in the closet, 7 in the hamper, and 7 at the cleaners.

8. amathew

amathew Senior member

I'm new to the board and fashion. While I'm not too into a lot of the SF approved 'gear,' I have about 20 shirts and that number growing.

9. Liam O

Liam O Senior member

10. porcelain monkey

porcelain monkey Senior member

It's a decent drop, but should not be too much of a problem if you have the suit pants taken in. I am guessing 44 suits come with 36 waist pants. The question I would ask is are you certain you are a 44L. Try on a 42L and see how it feels. Most guys buy their suits too large as they think they should be roomy in the shoulders.

11. Winston S.

Winston S. Senior member

Agreed. It''s probably a lot higher here than average. I think 7 is probably more average for the rest of the non-SF world.

12. newintown23

newintown23 Senior member

Hello everyone. Hope your all doing well. Quick question. I just has CEGO make me some custom shirts which came out amazing, and the shoulder to shoulder he used was 18.75...
    Now OTR, RLBL fits me fantastic with very minimal alterations needed. If i buy OTR, and pick up a steal, i need to keep my tailor expense below 150 otherwise im better off going MTM IMHO...
    Now, The RLBL suit which fits me very well is a 19 shoulder to shoulder. What is the acceptable tolerance allowed here for a suit jacket would you say? Dont look at any suits under 19? or 18.5 you think would be ok? How much does that quarter to half inch really matter? Better off getting a 19 shoulder chest? Maybe going up to a 44R? It is to my understanding the shoulder measurement is the most important. THANKS!!!

13. patrickBOOTH

Measuring a suit based on your shirt measurements is apples and oranges. It won't work. The best thing to do is try on suits to know your size. Remember suits are measured by their chest, not their shoulders. Also, straight measurements across a shirt, or a suit, or anything is meaningless. 2+2=4, but so does 3+1. There is much more to fit than just straight lines.

14. haha01

haha01 New Member

Anybody know of any brands that make underwear that conforms to every part of your body and makes you feel like you're wearing nothing? I think hanro and zimmerli are among the top luxury brands, but if quality means only the fabric is better, I wouldn't know the difference on my body if I had hanes briefs or hanro mercerized cotton on me.

15. HansderHund

HansderHund Senior member

What suggestions do you guys have for shirt color/ps with seersucker? Thanks!