• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Steve Smith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

WHITE COTTON SHIRTS GONE YELLOW

Have numerous high end white business shirts that are slowly turning a light yellow colour.  They are all beautiful cotton and with a lot of life left, just noticing a very slight discolouration.

Any suggestions for returning them to white white.

Thanks 

From Wiki: Bluing, laundry blue, or washing blue is a household product used to improve the appearance of textiles, especially white fabrics. Used during laundering, it adds a trace of blue dye (often synthetic ultramarine, sometimes Prussian blue) to the fabric.

Also good for wasp stings.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
They also aren't really oxfords by the SF definition. Those are derbies or bluchers.

Coronaeus

Reaction score
Does anyone know anything about a shoe company called Zalin?

http://www.zalinshoes.com/

The shop opened a little before Christmas around the corner from me in Toronto. I've walked by several times without bothering to hazard a glance because i simply assumed it was junk. I noticed a 20% sale as I drove by this morning and decided to see if they had a website when i got home.

The grammar errors in the English on the website suggest it to be an Eastern European operation and they claim to source their leather from Italy, for whatever that is worth.

My shoe knowledge is rather limited so i was wondering if any of you can discern quality from their web-site pictures. I'm not sure I even like any of their models, but was curious. Their shoes seem to retail between $350-850 according to a brief perusal of their site. Lots of ostrich.

Kid Nickels

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I should probably already know the answer to this, but don't...
If I'm buying a sport coat with working buttonholes -- and the sleeves are about 0.75 inches too long, is that something my tailor can alter (i.e., shorten the sleeves), or is it a definite no go?
Thanks!

I had this done recently.... my father and I bought similar SCs from the same maker... his needed to be shortened, mine lengthened. It depends on where the last button was placed and how much length you have from the cuff. My Dad was able to shorten his without any special considerations however mine was lengthened and needed a button added. It will depend on the original cut so doing it at the cuff will be easy but if you need to take it in from the shoulder, will be much more involved and expensive.

CDHagg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quote:
Since you only need a small amount of shortening, perhaps the tailor can shorten it from the cuff. But I honestly have no idea.

doughboysc

Reaction score
I'm 6'1 1/2" weighing 341 lbs. I have fair complexion with brown hair and blue eyes. My neck size is 20", 35" sleeve, 60 Portly Long, and 60" waist. I'm thinking about going to NYC next month (since it tooked me six years to save almost ten grand) and one of the stores for bespoke shirts and neckties I like to is Turnbull & Asser. What other high-end boutique and department stores in NYC you suggest for MTM suits/sportcoats/pants? For example Barney's New York, Bergdorf Goodman, J. Press, and Paul Stuart.

CousinDonuts

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone. This weekend my wife and I are headed to LA for the first time. We'll be attending the wedding of a college friend. Normally, I am a dark suit, white shirt kind of wedding guest as I feel it is proper and traditional. However, I'm trying to determine if I want to step out of my comfort zone a little. I recently purchased a dark purple (plum) gingham dress shirt. So far I have only worn it with jacket only, no tie. But I'm thinking of pairing it with a mid-gray tie with a subtle glen plaid design, and solid charcoal suit. The wedding and reception is in the evening and being held at a downtown rooftop banquet hall / outdoor garden. What do you think? Sprezzy outfit for an LA wedding, or dumb? thanks!

12345Michael54321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you want to step out of your comfort zone for this wedding, fine. I applaud your willingness to try something a little different. But if it were me, I'd wouldn't wear that shirt. Not with a dark suit, to an evening wedding reception. And while it's not a bad looking tie (which I suspect looks even better in person than in the picture), I think I'd opt for something a little more colorful. Not garish, but with a charcoal suit and a white shirt, it's okay to bring in a splash of color via a necktie.

I've got nothing against pocket squares, but if you really want to step outside your comfort zone - and in an entirely appropriate way - consider wearing a boutonniere. (Prepare your lapel ahead of time.)
--
Michael

Acer

Reaction score
For easter, I'm trying to mix the "Sunday best" with Easter colors. I'm going to wear a charcoal suit (haven't decided if I'll wear the waistcoat as well), but what do you think of this tie / square combo?

rSUoq.jpg

420sU.jpg

Color theory-wise, there are some good pairings--navy in the tie, red in the square...lavender in the tie, green in the square. However, it's not something that I would pick intuitively.

Thoughts?

12345Michael54321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd prefer them with a navy suit, to a charcoal suit. Just saying. I think the tie would work slightly better with a navy suit, and the pocket square would, as well. And the suit color would serve to tie the necktie and the square together.

I assume you'll be wearing a white shirt.
--
Michael

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads