Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Master-Classter, Sep 28, 2008.

1. AML225

AML225 Senior member

By quality in my opinion based on owning a few shirts from each:

1) tyrwhitt sea island
    Tie for 2) and 3) Brooke's brothers and standard/non-iron Tyrwhitt
    4) tm Lewin

Mind you the margins are verrrrrry slim. The Tyrwhitt "tailor fit" shirts fit me best and I like their styles better so I go with those. They come with nice brass collar stays and I notice much less loose threading after wearing and washing verse my TM Lewins. Not to mention CT customer service is far superior to TM Lewin who sent me last package without tracking. After 2 weeks with no delivery they basically said "Sorry, give it another month". When I had a problem with some CT shirts I returned I got all kinds of emails from customer service and Nick Wheeler's office and to fox it they altered and had the shirts on my doorstep (I'm in the US) in 5 business days.

*i apologize for any typos/awkwardness I'm typing this on my tiny phone keyboard.

2. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

Back when I was a CT shirt guy, my sea islands from them lasted about 5 washes, then they emerged shredded cloth with cuffs and a collar tangled in. Just sayin.

3. lemmywinks

lemmywinks Senior member

My sister's wedding is coming up and I'm trying to use this as an excuse to get some new apparel. I already have a pair of Allen Edmonds Strands in Walnut... beautiful shoe and I'm thinking of wearing that.

Now I just need suggestions for a full canvased suit at a good value at the $500-$800 ish pricepoint. I'm thinking something like Suit Supply?

I also need some recommendations for an odd grey trouser. What would be a good material for my first 'substantial' pair of pants, and who should I buy it from? I'm thinking something from Epaulet, but I'm certainly open to suggestions.

4. likeaboss

likeaboss Well-Known Member

I appreciate the lesson :satisfied:. Somehow it didn't even cross my mind to e-mail Clarks directly :embar:.

5. patrickBOOTH

For the suit go to Brooks Brothers when they have a sale and get the Fitzgerald. You can get it for your price point on sale. They go on sale often. For trousers get a mid grey worsted from brooks as well.

6. CruzAzul

CruzAzul Senior member

Wow. Miss the point by a few miles, did you?

Lots of clothing items are extremely versatile. That doesn't mean they have to be every man's uniform.

7. ANGRYKOREAMAN

ANGRYKOREAMAN New Member

http://i.imgur.com/O9NmS.jpg I was wondering where i can find a similar shirt in terms of the size of the squares and color price range is 100ish i geuss. ive looked everywhere and all i can find is micro ginghams:(

8. HansderHund

HansderHund Senior member

Sorry, my post got a bit buried. With what could I wear with this casually? Thanks!
    [​IMG]

9. patrickBOOTH

Light blue OCBD shirt and mid-light grey trousers.

10. HansderHund

HansderHund Senior member

Thank you! I've been think/struggling, and you came up with something quick and simple! I really appreciate it!!

11. pnin22

pnin22 Senior member

I would not get this suit. It doesn't fit your body (as pointed out above), but I'm particularly offended by the pants. Low-rise, skinny-leg suit pants? They make your upper body look clownish.

12. Shay

Shay Member

Best behaved OCBD material and/or variation?

Socks fit.
    Shoes fit.
    Pants fit.
    Belt fits.
    Shirt is a loosely gathered, wrinkly piece of fabric draped across my upper body that's half-wrecked when I put on my seatbelt in the morning and that I must constantly fuss with to keep straight.

If I could, I'd wear a polo every day. I cannot. I want to get some shirts cut down so at least the fit will be just right. Any aspects besides fit that might help?

13. Galen

Galen Active Member

Does anyone here know a online supplier of sunken toe plates (flush metal toe plates)? My local cobbler will fit them but donĀ“t know where to find them.

Thank you.

14. Lazytiki

Lazytiki Well-Known Member

I have been hired at a large law firm as a summer student, they have a relaxed dress code in the summer (pants and dress shirt). How many pairs of pants and shirts will I need to get through a week of work? I also plan to purchase a decent pair of shoes, what is the safest and most versatile choice?

Thank you

15. CruzAzul

CruzAzul Senior member

3 pants, 5 shirts, and something very neutral and simple like brown cap-toes.