1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Master-Classter, Sep 28, 2008.

1. DerHoggz

DerHoggz Member

First post, go easy please.

Got this peacoat, little big in the back I would say? Shoulders are a little big? It is lined with a quilted deal, it could still be tailored though, right?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Bad quality pictures I realize. Yes I'm wearing a t-shirt and need to clean my mirror.

2. apack

apack Senior member

The differential in creasing between the two shoes looks very odd. Unless your feet are very different sizes, I wonder if the left shoe is defective.

3. gambit50

gambit50 Senior member

Are those really from the same box? Is that the first time you put them on or how often/long have they been worn?

4. Owen Meany

Owen Meany Senior member

Thanks, but "why" is not the issue (I know why they look like they do) , I am most interested if you would walk around in such shoes considering the look...

They are Carminia cordovan and have been worn at least 10-15 times....

5. Steve Smith

Steve Smith Senior member

I would not advise using a 346 suit to determine fit on an 1818. Most 1818 suits are made in the US by Southwick. I am unsure where the 346 suits are manufactured because I don't buy them, but they are probably not made in the US.

6. clarksdb

clarksdb Senior member

I bought a car coat off the rack and it fits okay but could be a bit more slim for a more modern look. Around how much cost am I looking at for alterations?

7. tben

tben Senior member

Grenadine?
    [​IMG]

Not Grenadine?
    [​IMG]

8. taafis

taafis Member

How is the fit on Cordings shirts? They're having a 3 for £120 sale now

9. Gnome

Gnome Member

Any suggestions on where a broke student could find some grey flannel pants? BB at retail is out of my price range. The ones I've seen on ebay aren't my size (32x33/34).

10. apack

apack Senior member

The difference is quite noticeable in the photos, but of course you have focused the images specifically on the shoes. I think it would probably be noticeable in person -- certainly so to SF-types; not as much to casual passers-by. Whether this bothers you is a completely different question.

11. IrateCustomer

IrateCustomer Senior member

Flannel pants are really hard to find at a low(ish) price. Finding your size might be even harder, unless you find them with an unfinished hem. I have been looking for flannel pants for a while, with little luck unless I want to pay around $200 which is admittedly not feasible right now. Keep looking on the Bay, as I think that's your best bet.

12. red81

red81 Senior member

as a follow up to my earlier question, is there an sf approved linen retailer (preferrably brick and mortar in chicago , or online)? shopping for an outfit for a wedding in february in the caribbean.

13. Apollotrader

Apollotrader Senior member

I have several pairs of flat front everyday type trousers, a couple pairs that I recently purchased I had done with cuff. When they get home from the cleaners they have finished them with a fold along the seat as opposed to along a crease line that a pleated pant would have. I looked at this cuff all day and it is so sloppy it just pissed me off. Any ideas? Should I ask my dry cleaners to finish/fold differently? Thanks in advance, RCC.

14. Winston S.

Winston S. Senior member

Check to see if Howard Yount has anything left.

15. in stitches

in stitches Senior member Moderator

hate to say it, but you should probably find a new dry cleaner.

i have thankfully never had that happen to me, but i have seen it happen to my brother, who uses a different dry cleaned than i do. you can bring them the pants, and remind them every time to crease them like dress pants, not casual pants, and that you want a crease going down the front of the leg. they will probably do it right if you tell them every time, but a dry cleaner that cant figure that out on its own is suspect in my opinion.

in better news, its highly unlikely that the pants are ruined, just in need of a new press.

good luck. :)

16. Apollotrader

Apollotrader Senior member

17. in stitches

in stitches Senior member Moderator

no probs, it was my pleasure.

hope it all works out ok.

18. Gnome

Gnome Member

Thanks IrateCustomer!

Last edited: Nov 6, 2012
  19. Binny

Binny Member

Hello, I just want to post this here too, in case anyone else is reading. I make a thread in Men's Clothing looking for any recommended suit brand with 8-10" drop (big chest but narrow waist), I can spend $1000 a suit maybe. Possibly this called European Cut, I hear? Any one able to help? Thank you.

20. ellsbebc

ellsbebc Senior member

I believe "European cut" refers to overseas makers typically have a slimmer, more fitted silhouette compared to a traditional, boxier "American cut". At that price point, you may want to look into MTM. Caruso has a few offerings with drop 8 iirc. If you are content with skinnier lapels, BB Fitzgerald or Regent suits might fit the bill.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2012