1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Master-Classter, Sep 28, 2008.

1. Vivaldi09

Vivaldi09 Member

I'm currently a college student and I'm getting tired of always wearing gym shoes/tennis shoes. I'd really like to get some casual leather shoes (they don't necessarily have to be leather). I live in Florida so I always wear khaki shorts/cargo shorts and a polo. What shoes do you think I should get? By the way, I do not like penny loafers/moccasins so those are out. Thank you, I appreciate your respones.

2. powenb

powenb Well-Known Member

Do you think these are acceptable to pair with mid Grey and Blue suits for business?

[​IMG]

3. 12345Michael54321

12345Michael54321 Senior member

(You don't indicate where you're located, so I'm going to assume it's somewhere in the United States. Other countries may have other standards for acceptability.)

There are people who maintain that loafers should not be worn with suits. And that this inherent mismatch is made even worse when it's done in a business context. And when they're tassel loafers (which are regarded as being even more casual than the non-tassel variety of loafer).

On the other hand, the pairing of loafers (very much including tassel loafers) is a firmly established tradition in certain circles. Particularly those connected with what might be termed the Preppy or Ivy League look.

So, decide for yourself into which camp you fall. Then you'll have your answer.

It's probably worth noting that there are loafers, and there are loafers - not all are equally appropriate for wearing with a suit (assuming that you agree that it's okay to wear loafers with a suit in the first place). Some loafers just look more... refined... than others.The ones pictured don't really appeal to me, but neither are they obviously too casual to be worn with a suit.

If it matters to you, the practice of wearing loafers with suits is more common among certain professions (particularly lawyers), than among others. And it's somewhat more common in certain parts of the country (particularly the Northeast), than in others.

I sometimes wear tassel loafers (most often, Allen Edmonds Graysons, in Merlot) with grey or navy suits, for business. (I'm a lawyer, but don't practice much these days. And I'm in Maryland, which may be part of the Northeast, or maybe not, depending on whom you ask.)
    --
    Michael

Stay Tuned for Next Week's Question - "Is it okay to wear a shirt with a button-down collar, with a business suit?" followed by a recap of last week's spirited discussion on why a wristwatch nearly the size of a pie plate and the better part of an inch thick, sporting multiple sub-dials, is not a formal watch, no matter how much money it costs or how many times a fictional British spy has chosen to wear a diver's watch with his tuxedo.

2 people like this.
  4. facet

facet Senior member

clarksdb's park avenue is a good; I would add the kenilworth's as well if you are specifically looking for a plain toe blucher like the one in your pic.

5. King-Panther

King-Panther Member

I'm new, I dont know what that means (SW&D).

6. Gerry Nelson

Gerry Nelson Senior member

7. Claghorn

Claghorn Senior member Dubiously Honored

That place scares me. In their WAYWRN thread (or the equivalent), there was a guy wearing a gas mask (not photoshopped). Why would you wear a gas mask? Do you live under threat of chemical warfare?

It is a strange, strange place. [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  8. clarksdb

clarksdb Senior member

The funny thing is they think they are totally normal folks there and believe the gentlemen in Men's Clothing don't know much about dressing properly. When I first joined styleforum I would stay there for some reason and only recently started coming here when I realized I didn't like much of what I bought based on recommendations there. Finally starting to build a better wardrobe now.

The greatest difference between the two sections though is that most people here are actually gentlemen whereas in SW&D you get people like jet who probably weigh 120 lbs and act like big shots.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2012
  9. meemo

meemo Member

Just wonder what people's thoughts are on this pair of faragamo shoes. The picture doesn't represent the colours too accurately but better than nothing.
    http://db.tt/yQYL9qf5

10. 8bpc

8bpc Senior member

Single buckle monk straps don't seem to get much love around here, often described as being like "Pilgrim shoes." If you like them use your own judgement, it is your style after all.

11. 8bpc

8bpc Senior member

Need some help with Allen Edmonds sizing. I wear the Mora and Clifton in 11.5D. I want to fit the Neumok, so before ordering I went to a local store that only had the Park Ave (PA) and tried it on since it is built on the 5 last. I found the PA 11.5D to be loose in the right heel and the 11D was too narrow. Searching the forum I found posts that suggested going down 0.5 size and up 1 in the width, so I ordered the Neumok in 11E and 11.5D for good measure.

The Neumok 11E was far too loose in both the heels. The 11.5D seemed to fit much better than compared with the PA, but the right heel slips a little. The 11.5D seemed to have roughly a whole inch of extra room in the toe, but didn't feel like clown shoes.

Any suggestions on what size I should return them for? Given the extra room I was thinking an 11D might be the right size, but wondering if it will throw the fit off on my left foot. I need to get these returned ASAP so I appreciate any helpful suggestion..

12. Turb0

Turb0 Member

Ok, looking at V-neck sweaters again, cashmere this time. I've been mostly looking at Polo Ralph Lauren sweaters since I got a good deal on a cashmere one and the fit is about perfect. However, I noticed that Brooks Brothers' cashmere is from Scotland so I'm wondering if I should consider that. The only thing is that I have a Merino Wool BB V-neck and it's a little too big in the body for my tastes, and at times seems like it's a little too short in length.

If there's anyone reading this who has a Medium Cashmere BB V-neck, could you measure the pit to pit and length of it please?

And in general, which would be the better choice quality-wise, BB or PRL since pricing is essentially the same? Thanks again guys.

13. Vivaldi09

Vivaldi09 Member

Would someone be willing to answer this question?

14. cptjeff

cptjeff Senior member

Can't help you with measurements, but you can't go wrong with either brand. They both put out good quality stuff that's entirely reasonable for the pricepoint they put it at.

15. TheDapperMan

TheDapperMan Member

16. cptjeff

cptjeff Senior member

I far prefer them. The apron on double monks looks incredibly awkward to my eye, single monks look much nicer. That configuration, with the plain toe, is one of my favorite designs. Hell, I'm wearing an incredibly similar pair of vintage AEs right now. In the same color as those. Great shoe, I love them with both jeans and suits.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2012
  17. netsua

netsua Senior member

I'm actually looking for a pair of Plain toe bluchers myself, kenilworth's look perfect but they fit me very poorly and I had to let them go... anyone have any suggestions for a similar shoe?

18. JBMarce21

JBMarce21 Senior member

19. JBMarce21

JBMarce21 Senior member

Meermin - see the thread

20. mcbrown

mcbrown Senior member

I have literally never seen monk straps described that way on SF. SF seems to love monk straps, single or double, far more than the general public does.