1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Master-Classter, Sep 28, 2008.

1. Dingusberry

Dingusberry Senior member

Bumping this.

2. clarksdb

clarksdb Senior member

Light blue shirt?

3. NORE

NORE Senior member

White shirt. Also, at that price this tie may be from a well known brand but the tag was removed to prevent returns.

4. cptjeff

cptjeff Senior member

Depends on the individual shirt and the individual trousers. Tweed? Go nuts. A fine worsted? Not so much. And a chambray shit will go with a lot more than a plaid flannel.

5. 12345Michael54321

12345Michael54321 Senior member

Come on - no need to bump a thread after a mere 6 hours. (I know that I'd planned on replying to your post, but was simply waiting until I was done with the work thing, before doing so.)

Anyway, come spring or summer, I could see wearing that purple tie with a tan suit and white shirt. Tan and dark purple go well together, and purple strikes me as being a very "spring-like" color (perhaps in small part due to its association with Easter).

A dark purple tie can also work well with a navy suit and white shirt. Or, for that matter, with a navy blazer.

And, of course, a dark purple tie could be the splash of color that prevents a grey suit and white shirt from being excessively monochrome and boring.

But rather than having others do all the heavy lifting for you, how about you tell us what you think would look best with your tie, and why?

I'll add that in the photo, the tie looks purple, but not particularly dark purple. However, photo representations aren't always as accurate as one would like, so if you say it's actually dark purple, I'll take your word for it.

Purely out of idle curiosity, why did you drop more than $100 on a necktie of unknown brand, which (I'm guessing) wasn't urgently needed for some reason, and which (based on the photo) doesn't appear to be extraordinary in any way? I mean, it may be a perfectly nice dark purple silk tie, but when I'm spending over $100 on a fairly basic, solid color tie, I'd at least like to know who made it. Is there something really special about it, which the picture doesn't make obvious?
    --
    Michael

6. Dingusberry

That's weird. I bought it from a retail store.

But then again, I live in Norway... so almost everything is expensive. But I've never seen ties that cost $200.

7. Dingusberry

Thanks for the tips! But I will be wearing a charcoal suit with pinstripes very light and thin stripes on the high school graduate class photo. I am not sure if it works out to wear the purple tie with a white shirt. I don't actually have a lot of dress shirts, because I can't find any dress shirts that fit. My tie and dress shirt collection is pretty bad, because I can't find blazers or suits that fit me, so there will be no reason to invest in good shirts or ties. But I have a lot of sports shirts that fit well, that I use daily. I have a blue checkered dress shirt and two white dress shirts, if that helps with the selection of shirts. I also have three ties, include the purple tie mentioned above, a pink and blue one coloured cotton tie.

Hmm, I don't know. Could a light blue oxford shirt look good with the purple tie?

Well, I needed one for my cousin's wedding and the wedding theme was purple tie for men, and that was before I discovered SF, so I knew nothing about menswear and where to get the best stuff. It's just a plain simple woven silk tie.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2012
  8. clarksdb

clarksdb Senior member

Would be with these three trousers:

http://www.howardyount.com/collections/wool-pants/products/classic-flannel-pants-medium-gray
    http://www.howardyount.com/collections/wool-pants/products/vbc-super-100s-winter-flannel-navy
    http://www.howardyount.com/collections/wool-pants/products/wool-twill-pants-brown

What do you say? Would a chambray or flannel shirt work with these? Obviously a blue chambray won't go with the navy pants.

9. MarshMan114

MarshMan114 Member

So I have begun my search for nice suits/SC on a budget and have been sifting through the buying and selling forum.

I have my personal measurements from a Men's Warehouse (my buddy just got married), but I'm not sure how to interpret the numbers. What is the general rule about +/- your exact measurements? If I have a 39.5" chest (I'm guessing and don't actually recall the exact number) and normally wear a 40R; what is the largest I should go?

Unfortunately, I don't have a perfect suit yet so I don't have any other reference. Any help would be appreciated.

10. amathew

amathew Senior member

What color pants would you suggest to pair with a plum and charcoal sweater?
    http://www.wolfvsgoat.com/collections/knits/products/wool-waffle-crew-neck-in-plum
    http://www.wolfvsgoat.com/collections/knits/products/wool-waffle-crew-neck-in-charcoal

I like the light grey wool or flannel trousers with them, but I only own medium grey wool pants, though I might have a light grey polyester pair of pants laying around.

I'm just now getting into wool trousers, so both of the ones I own are medium grey (HY) and gunmetal (Epaulet) (both are flannel). Will slowly expand my collection in the coming months.

The two wool pants I own:
    http://www.howardyount.com/collections/wool-pants/products/classic-flannel-pants-medium-gray
    http://www.epauletshop.com/servlet/the-1701/Special-Order-Trouser-Gunmetal/Detail (ordered yesterday)

Of course, I have plenty of cotton chinos in khaki, navy, french blue, cream, etc.

Thanks!

11. Buster Brown

Buster Brown Senior member

Anyone know of an OTR source of fresco suits?

12. evthur

evthur New Member

How do I get blood out of leather?

13. dapperdoctor

dapperdoctor Senior member

Welcome to the board OJ Simpson!

14. amathew

amathew Senior member

15. clarksdb

clarksdb Senior member

Lol :D

16. omacaco

omacaco Member

I only have one suit so I can't really compare from one to the other.I suspect the problem for me is the jacket sleeves are a bit too long (they go down to where my thumb starts as opposed to the suggestion of the bone bump on the pink side of the wrist) but the tailor at the place I bought the suit refuses to pull them in because he kept telling me they are fine. It's in the cleaner at the moment so I can't take a picture.
    It could be OCD but it's not just 1.16 of an inch. It usually goes all the way inside the jacket sleeves

17. cptjeff

cptjeff Senior member

I'd skip the hardcore flannels, but I would think that chambray would be fine with those. And a blue chambray would be perfectly fine with the navy- light blue with navy is an easy and common pairing. You've never worn a blue shirt with a navy suit before?

18. cptjeff

cptjeff Senior member

The jacket sleeves are way too long, and if you want the shirt to pop out, they'll have to be shorter. Simple really- if you want the shirt to come out of the cuffs, the length of the shirt sleeve, hanging as it naturally does inside a jacket, has to be greater than the length of the jacket sleeve. The guy you bought it from is wrong- sadly all too common at menswear retailers these days. When it's ready at the cleaners, have them shorten the sleeves for you, it's a normal alteration, and one cleaners usually managed to pull off just fine.

19. amathew

amathew Senior member

What's wrong with 'hardcore flannels'? The guy is in Toronto after all and probably needs something for those cold days.

20. herp

herp Senior member