Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Master-Classter, Sep 28, 2008.

1. Kid Nickels

Kid Nickels Senior member

for the price it looks like a great deal. interestingly the new Abboud is the only stuff in this price range (that I know of) that I can get OTR that fits me acceptably well. I usually wear a 38R. I'm lean, athletic and have long arms and inseam and amazingly it is very, very close nearly all the time. In fact I got a navy blazer about two weeks ago and I think it will not require any tailoring at all which really shocked me.

2. Sceps

Sceps Well-Known Member

3. Liam O

Liam O Senior member

Thanks, Kickels!

I'm buying second hand for approx 20USD, for daily casual use, and in a few paychecks I'll get a real pair and flog these on ebay for about what I paid for them in the first place. If they fall apart, I'll not be too sore over it. I'll check the label though

4. perspective

perspective New Member

What's the collective opinion on the best route for basic suits? I'm starting basically from scratch and I'm pretty difficult to fit. Online made-to-measure is looking promising (just got a test shirt from Modern Tailor based on copious reading here and it seems like the right answer for my shirts) but searching through the archives I don't see nearly as much discussions of suits. I'm looking to purchase the following over the next couple months:

- charcoal suit
    - black suit
    - tweed jacket

It seems like online MTM is likely to fit better but retail + alterations will let me get a better idea of the materials and a wider choice of materials & styling. I'd like to get it all done for under US$1000. Thoughts?

5. Harold falcon

Harold falcon Senior member

If you don't have any suits yet then you don't know what your measurements are. How are you going to order MTM online without knowing your measurements? Buy something off the rack and have it altered, simple.

And don't buy a black suit. Get a navy.

6. stevent

stevent Senior member

Does Barker black made shoes in a wide width? If not the Stratton is the widest shoes correct?

7. yls1983

yls1983 Member

Is a Rolex Datejust a respectable watch? I would like to buy it for my fiance for our wedding but it seems like from these forums, Panerai or Omegas are favored.

8. bourbonbasted

bourbonbasted Cyber Eliitist

People will tell you they are indicative of cheesy guys or unoriginal followers. To which I cry hater. Rolex makes a very nice, simple and elegant watch (in the Datejust). While some might find them overpriced, they are internationally renowned for having great customer service, quality assurance and very high resale value no matter where you are in the world. I think it would make a very nice wedding gift and you shouldn't be worried about whether it's cool on SF or not.

Worst comes to worse, if he doesn't like it he can return it and y'all can make an activity out of searching for a new one.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2012
  9. CruzAzul

CruzAzul Senior member

Fairly or unfairly, there's a stigma attached to Rolex because so many people buy them for the wrong reasons. Think of them as the BMW of watches. BMW produces extremely well-made and brilliantly performing cars, and a handful of them are actually not all that vulgar in design, but there's a limit to how much one wants to have in common with an MBA taking his first Wall Street job after moving out of the frat house.

10. althanis

althanis Senior member

He can have fun trying to tell his new wife he doesn't like his wedding present.

Back on point, I don't see anything wrong with getting him a Rolex. You're a pretty great fiancee.

11. yls1983

yls1983 Member

Thanks for the responses!

I'll be honest...I actually already purchased it. I've recently been researching tuxes and learned on here that we wasted our money purchasing a full priced Hugo Boss tux...so then I started getting paranoid about the Rolex...

12. JubeiSpiegel

JubeiSpiegel Senior member

I must have missed something, but the OP of the Rolex question never specified if they were a he or she...

The Datejust is available for both men and women.

13. Liam O

Liam O Senior member

Are grey cavalry twill pants a suitable stand in for grey flannels with a tweed SC for a slightly more casual look or would it be too incongruous?

14. bourbonbasted

bourbonbasted Cyber Eliitist

Dunno if you've ever lived this lifestyle, but it's quite fun...

15. yls1983

yls1983 Member

Sorry, I forgot to specify that I'm the bride and my fiance is the groom.