1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Master-Classter, Sep 28, 2008.

1. Nicola

Nicola Well-Known Member

Look for places that make stuff for the horsey set. Tack shop??

2. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Well-Known Member

3. cptjeff

cptjeff Well-Known Member

A tack shop sells horse related gear- saddles, bits, stirrups, reigns, that kind of thing. If you wanted just a piece of bridle leather, a place that sells, makes, and repairs things like bridles would be a decent place to look.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Horse_tack

Last edited: Sep 18, 2012
  4. Sanguis Mortuum

Sanguis Mortuum Well-Known Member

That's not his coat, he says his are double. Would need pics of his actual coat to see what he's actually describing.

5. Gorpomon

Gorpomon Well-Known Member

Try SuitSupply which is just north of the loop, I believe they do quick tailoring as long as its not major stuff. Also their suits are pretty decent quality, especially for the price. They seem to be #menswear and StyleForum approved.

6. Shay

Shay Member

What are the black cap-toe oxfords (or mid-gray slacks) of brown shoes? Varsatile, conservative, timeless, seasonless, ubiquitous.

7. Ich_Dien

Ich_Dien Well-Known Member

Brogues.

8. clarksdb

clarksdb Well-Known Member

Thanks for the great help guys. I was really torn but eventually went with these in medium grey:

http://www.howardyount.com/collections/wool-pants/products/classic-flannel-pants-medium-gray

They seem pretty dark as I didn't want a light gray. I guess charcoal will have to wait.

9. smogfarmgirl

smogfarmgirl Member

Look like Allen Edmonds from last season, maybe the one before.

10. LP22

LP22 New Member

[​IMG]

Looking for this piece. Anyone knows the designer?

11. harrrr

harrrr New Member

No, this is just an example of what I want (but with a double vent). This picture shows a smooth back, which I want to achieve on my suits through tailoring. Is this possible?

12. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Well-Known Member

Yes, it is possible, but the smooth back is dependant on how slim you want it as well as proper balance.

13. Essential

Essential Well-Known Member

14. canstyleace

canstyleace Well-Known Member

1 person likes this.
  15. dubcbadass

dubcbadass Well-Known Member

for a menswear store, for OTR suits, what is considered a full size run? even sizes 38-48 in S, R, L? beef it up with more in certain sizes?
    how about for shoes? whole and half sizes 7-13 in C, D, E?
    what is comparable for shirts?
    anyone with experience care to comment?

16. tospfc

tospfc Member

I have a college career fair to attend monday and I'm not sure if I should wear this suit or not:

http://www.kgstores.com/shop/pd_lin...053_59654_-1_59653_300000215__MEN?cm_vc=63128
    It's not an interview. You just get to meet and network with employers.

This suit fits me nice.I have another suit that is a darker gray and 2-buttons, but it's bigger on me.
    The light gray is a 36R and the dark one is 38R.
    I'm afraid I might look funny walking around with the bigger one. However, I probably would be ok going to an interview. I think.

Is this medium gray suit too casual even for a career fair? (Both suits I have cuff pants I don't know if that makes a difference)

Thank you.

17. 12345Michael54321

12345Michael54321 Well-Known Member

It'll do just fine.

True, even at a meet-and-greet career fair type event a certain amount of attention should be placed on what you're wearing, but it's not something to stress over, assuming one possesses a modicum of common sense. You're talking about a grey suit. It presumably fits properly, it'll hopefully be clean, and your shoes will be appropriate and in good condition. Match it to an unremarkable, relatively conservative shirt and tie, and you'll be able to put the whole "Is what I'm wearing okay?" question away, and focus on the actual point of the event.
    --
    Michael

18. 12345Michael54321

12345Michael54321 Well-Known Member

It depends. Some suit lines come in more limited size ranges than do others. Some do not come in Short. Some extend all the way up to a size 56 (or beyond). And so on. It just depends.

Certainly, the retailer will want to carry more suits in some sizes, than in others. Size 42R probably outsells size 38S or 48L, by a very significant margin. So it would be quite foolish of a retailer to choose to carry the same quantity of every size. (This is a basic business principle, which applies to how much of which items a supermarket stocks and displays, and how many of which models of car an automobile dealership keeps on his lot, quite as well as it does to which suits in which sizes a menswear store keeps in inventory.)

Again, it tends to vary. Some types of shoes are best represented in smaller sizes, and others in larger. Many shoe lines don't offer a choice of widths, while others go at least to EEE width. As for half sizes, once you get past size 12, it's common to only offer full-size steps, so something like a 12.5 - while not utterly unheard of - is somewhat uncommon.

And, of course, a retailer will tend to stock more shoes in sizes and styles which sell well, than in sizes and styles which tend to take forever to sell. (See above, re suits, supermarkets, and cars.)

And for the third time - it depends.

In sport shirts, S-M-L-XL are more or less standard, with XXL less common but not rare. Yet some lines will stop at L or go up to XXXL, and others may extend down to XS.

In dress shirts, neck sizes of around 14.5 - 17.5 inches are probably the "meaty part" of the bell curve, but plenty of shirt lines extend down smaller than 14.5", and plenty go up to 19" (or sometimes more). The neck sizes are typically given in half inch increments.

In sleeve length, 32" to 37" probably fits the lion's share of men, although it's not impossible to find both shorter and longer than these lengths, if need be. All too often, the sleeve lengths are no longer given in single inch increments, but in the interest of reducing inventory expenses may be found in two inch increments, such as 32/33, 34/35, 36/37, etc.

My experience comes simply from buying my clothes, and not from any time spent as an "industry insider."
    --
    Michael

19. IChen

IChen Well-Known Member

I understand that Prada's suits are made by Belvest. But I'm wondering if it's just the high end expensive suits that are made by Belvest.
    Does anyone have information on this?