• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Sharkb8

Reaction score
Let me answer your question with a question.
Do you already eat ramen noodles for every mean? If yes, then yes.
If no, then no.

Surely you jest, Harvey. You could do a LOT worse than those and believe me, I've seen law students do a lot worse than those, even at interviews. I am less than a decade removed from law school and believe that you could even pass with a pair of black Cole Haan captoes (gasp!). In an interview or mixer situation, they're just checking to be sure you don't have white tube socks on and your shoes are black, and that they match your belt (and that you have a belt). They're not going to examine the stitching and ask where you bought them. If you are a poor law student, for $100 you can get a nice pair of Cole Haan captoes that will last you through most interviewing situations and be very comfortable (but they won't last much longer than that). They key in an interview is to be comfortable and to at least pass for the part you are playing. More substantive attire can be acquired after you graduate. I also kind-of think that an interviewer could just as easily size you up and decide you are not hungry enough for their firm if you can already afford AEs or a $1200 suit. In my experience, I've found that law firms like their associates poor and in debt. Squalor is a motivating factor.

akatsuki

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Surely you jest, Harvey.  You could do a LOT worse than those and believe me, I've seen law students do a lot worse than those, even at interviews.  I am less than a decade removed from law school and believe that you could even pass with a pair of black Cole Haan captoes (gasp!).  In an interview or mixer situation, they're just checking to be sure you don't have white tube socks on and your shoes are black, and that they match your belt (and that you have a belt).  They're not going to examine the stitching and ask where you bought them.  If you are a poor law student, for $100 you can get a nice pair of Cole Haan captoes that will last you through most interviewing situations and be very comfortable (but they won't last much longer than that).  They key in an interview is to be comfortable and to at least pass for the part you are playing.  More substantive attire can be acquired after you graduate.  I also kind-of think that an interviewer could just as easily size you up and decide you are not hungry enough for their firm if you can already afford AEs or a $1200 suit.  In my experience, I've found that law firms like their associates poor and in debt.  Squalor is a motivating factor.

+1. I saw some guys who I thought looked a bit too polished for law firm interviews, it stuck in my mind and not in a good way. In my experience, nobody wants to hire someone that dresses better than them and, frankly, most lawyers don't dress all that well.

I think I posted this elsewhere on the forum, but I remember reading somewhere that Johnnie Cochran made OJ go buy crap suits from JCP so that he didn't dress better than the jury and look too snobby.

Spurious

Reaction score

+1. I saw some guys who I thought looked a bit too polished for law firm interviews, it stuck in my mind and not in a good way. In my experience, nobody wants to hire someone that dresses better than them and, frankly, most lawyers don't dress all that well.
I think I posted this elsewhere on the forum, but I remember reading somewhere that Johnnie Cochran made OJ go buy crap suits from JCP so that he didn't dress better than the jury and look too snobby.

This is a bit annoying.

Gonna intern at a bank and I am afraid of just this (needless to say, I forgot my tie for the interviews, so a contrast there).

ethanm

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

If the suit doesn't fit, you must acquit!

Sharkb8

Reaction score
Thanks that clears things up.

I'm still in 1L - so I was just curious where 3 pieces fit in.

Another benefit of a matching suit vest - if you're a dolt and drop mustard on your dress shirt at lunch, the vest can hide many such mortal sins (even to some extent it can hide the ill-fitting or cheaply made dress shirt/tie, etc.). Plus, if the interview goes poorly, you'll look great with the vest on and jacket off hustling pool. And, completely unrelated to law and interviews (but maybe not) - women love men in three piece suits. No idea why, they just do (well, I do have one or two theories, but I digress).

Sharkb8

Reaction score
This is a bit annoying.
Gonna intern at a bank and I am afraid of just this (needless to say, I forgot my tie for the interviews, so a contrast there).

This may just be my own opinion or experience, but investment banker attire is most definitely not equivalent to attorney attire (sorry for the alliteration, I couldn't help myself). Attorneys on the whole tend to be more conservative, or even perhaps the most conservative, dressers as a profession. I would not transpose the advice about attorney ... garb onto the banker profession; they're apples and oranges (or maybe tangelos and navels?). Just my two cents.

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Surely you jest, Harvey.  You could do a LOT worse than those and believe me, I've seen law students do a lot worse than those, even at interviews.  I am less than a decade removed from law school and believe that you could even pass with a pair of black Cole Haan captoes (gasp!).  In an interview or mixer situation, they're just checking to be sure you don't have white tube socks on and your shoes are black, and that they match your belt (and that you have a belt).  They're not going to examine the stitching and ask where you bought them.  If you are a poor law student, for $100 you can get a nice pair of Cole Haan captoes that will last you through most interviewing situations and be very comfortable (but they won't last much longer than that).  They key in an interview is to be comfortable and to at least pass for the part you are playing.  More substantive attire can be acquired after you graduate.  I also kind-of think that an interviewer could just as easily size you up and decide you are not hungry enough for their firm if you can already afford AEs or a $1200 suit.  In my experience, I've found that law firms like their associates poor and in debt.  Squalor is a motivating factor.

Sorry, but if he can afford the AEs at least I'm not going to give him permission to wear Cole Haans. If he's destitute then he's gotta wear whatever he's gotta wear, but that was the point of my post.

I would also be surprised if a firm that is prejudiced against well dressed applicants could tell the difference on sight between AEs and Cole Haans.

XKxRome0ox

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Another benefit of a matching suit vest - if you're a dolt and drop mustard on your dress shirt at lunch, the vest can hide many such mortal sins (even to some extent it can hide the ill-fitting or cheaply made dress shirt/tie, etc.).  Plus, if the interview goes poorly, you'll look great with the vest on and jacket off hustling pool.  And, completely unrelated to law and interviews (but maybe not) - women love men in three piece suits.  No idea why, they just do (well, I do have one or two theories, but I digress).

please digress some more
i want to hear your theories

Liam O

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sorry, but if he can afford the AEs at least I'm not going to give him permission to wear Cole Haans. If he's destitute then he's gotta wear whatever he's gotta wear, but that was the point of my post.
I would also be surprised if a firm that is prejudiced against well dressed applicants could tell the difference on sight between AEs and Cole Haans.

I get AE's second hand in rough-but-fixable shape (fucked up soles, minor scratches, people who don't know how polish works) for dirt cheap on the bay or at second hand stores, and get my cobbler to fix them up better than new for 15-20 bucks. The most I ever paid for a pair is a pair of brogued monkstraps I think I paid about 60 for, with shipping.

Not that I'm endorsing the florsheims, I'm just pointing out that a lot of us are thrifters by necessity, and any nice things we own were thrown away by someone more affluent.

Last edited:

Citan1145

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can anyone tell me any information about the Polo Ralph Lauren sport coat cut Russell Pa, thats what the interior tag calls it ? Appears to be mainline by Corneliani, center vent, 3/8s lined. Any information on fit, shoulders etc? Very nice on ebay but the seller doesn't seem to know jack about clothing. Thanks in advance for anyones help!

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Can anyone tell me any information about the Polo Ralph Lauren sport coat cut Russell Pa, thats what the interior tag calls it ? Appears to be mainline by Corneliani, center vent, 3/8s lined. Any information on fit, shoulders etc? Very nice on ebay but the seller doesn't seem to know jack about clothing. Thanks in advance for anyones help!

Member Superfluous might know.

Liam O

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Mate of mine is starting his own company, and wants a versatile suit for meeting with clients. He's not remotely stylish or fashionably inclined. I told him a 3 roll 2 navy hopsack was his best bet for a nigh-on-universally appropriate suit (he's as likely to be on a construction site overseeing things as he is to be meeting with clients in a boardroom). He's very conservative business dress when it comes to clothing.

so

A) Was my suggestion warranted?

B) He's an odd shape (a bit short and built like an ox) so I'm thinking MTM is the best route. For online MTM, with a budget of 6-800USD, whats his best option for a hard wearing, simple, hopsack suit?

Thanks for fielding this one, gents.

Liam

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Mate of mine is starting his own company, and wants a versatile suit for meeting with clients. He's not remotely stylish or fashionably inclined. I told him a 3 roll 2 navy hopsack was his best bet for a nigh-on-universally appropriate suit (he's as likely to be on a construction site overseeing things as he is to be meeting with clients in a boardroom). He's very conservative business dress when it comes to clothing. 

so

B) He's an odd shape (a bit short and built like an ox) so I'm thinking MTM is the best route. For online MTM, with a budget of 6-800USD, whats his best option for a hard wearing, simple, hopsack suit? 

Liam

Why are you suggesting hopsack? I would just suggest getting a navy Brooks Brothers Fitzgerald suit on sale.

ethanm

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

so

Liam

Send him to Nick Hilton on Witherspoon. He'll get him squared away.

Liam O

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Why are you suggesting hopsack? I would just suggest getting a navy Brooks Brothers Fitzgerald suit on sale.

Hopsack is about as boring conservative business dress as you can get, I thought. This is a guy who thinks black pepper is adventurous.

How much does the fitzgerald usually run?

Also, thank you for taking time out of your work day to respond so quickly ;)

Send him to Nick Hilton on Witherspoon. He'll get him squared away.

Myself and everyone I know who has had dealings with him (other than yourself, apparently) had nothing good to say about the man.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads