• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Sharkb8

Reaction score
^ JAB is not well liked on this forum, you might be surprised on what you hear. My guess, all might be goodwill worthy. Pics of some of the older stuff would help...

Thanks Jubei. I will endeavor to snap some photos of the older stuff and post them. Yes, I had been reading about the not-so-good JAB here. I bought the Super 110 Signature suit at an outlet for about $100 (can't recall exactly how much) and I figured since it is Merino wool it can't be too bad. I'm not looking for these to last a decade, just a year or two would be great. And pleated is out now, I know (but maybe not quite completely out at least in the legal profession).

zero neck

Reaction score
What exactly is the purpose of a three piece suit?

Is it conservative enough to wear at work in a law firm?

Just curious.

facet

Reaction score
What do you guys think of this suit? I did a search on Aquascutum and didn't really see anything conclusive on peoples' experience with the brand. I'm looking to replace my current navy with something that's got a better cut to it and was thinking that this my serve my purposes. The fabric doesn't seem to be that great being a poly/wool blend. But it's semi canvassed and, at $300, seems to be a decent deal. Thoughts?

Sharkb8

Reaction score
What exactly is the purpose of a three piece suit?

Is it conservative enough to wear at work in a law firm?

Just curious.

I think it also depends on the firm, your position therein and the occasion. I would think it appropriate at a white shoe law firm at just about any time. If you're at a boutique where nobody wears suits unless seeing a client or going to court, it may be a tad over the top. I wore my three piece at such a firm once when meeting clients and had a few comments and jabs from fellow associates, but otherwise it was well received. If you are a junior associate and you are not going to court, or meeting a client, or in a boutique that does not typically otherwise wear suits, it would be bordering on bad form to wear the three-piece. So the answer is: it depends.

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

It is more conservative than a two piece suit, so yes, it is perfectly acceptable for a law firm.

Agreed. I wear a three piece at least twice a week. I do not wear them for mostjury trials because I fear it creates the wrong impression in jurors, most of whom show up in sweatpants.

JubeiSpiegel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Agreed. I wear a three piece at least twice a week. I do not wear them for mostjury trials because I fear it creates the wrong impression in jurors, most of whom show up in sweatpants.

Can you elaborate? What colors do you notice inspires more empathy from jurors, be it for the lawyer or client? I am always quite interested in the psychology of such things :nodding:

zero neck

Reaction score
Thanks that clears things up.

I'm still in 1L - so I was just curious where 3 pieces fit in.

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

More formal, yes, but more conservative? I don't think many people would see it that way.

Can you elaborate? What colors do you notice inspires more empathy from jurors, be it for the lawyer or client? I am always quite interested in the psychology of such things :nodding:

I took a CLE a few years ago on this so most of this is just me repeating but in front of a jury I wear conservative business dress, charcoal or navy suit, regimental tie, white or blue shirt, white PS, black cap toes. When not in front of a jury I'll wear a bow tie, a 3 piece, wing tips, paisley ties, coloured PS, red socks, all that fun stuff (but not all at the same time of course).

For clients I always tell them to dress comfortably but appropriately. Most come in with button down shirts and the occasional bad tie from Kohl's. Rarely do they wear a suit, because they feel and look uncomfortable wearing it. No jeans or t shirts obviously.

I don't know if any of this is true, but I've followed it for near a decade and I've won more than I've lost so take it for whatever it's worth.

I might still have the CLE packet at the office if you're really interested I could send it to you.

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Sharkb8

Reaction score
Thanks that clears things up.

I'm still in 1L - so I was just curious where 3 pieces fit in.

One more word of advice - I would not wear a three piece suit to an interview. In the legal world I get the impression it is bad form to dress above your station. You likewise do not want to stand out too much by showing up with a $1500 suit and $600 shoes, etc. Interviews are not fashion shows - they are a moment in which your judgment is judged. Conservative attire is key. A little flair is ok, but not so much that your judgment/personality is called into question.

JubeiSpiegel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I took a CLE a few years ago on this so most of this is just me repeating but in front of a jury I wear conservative business dress, charcoal or navy suit, regimental tie, white or blue shirt, white PS, black cap toes. When not in front of a jury I'll wear a bow tie, a 3 piece, wing tips, paisley ties, coloured PS, red socks, all that fun stuff (but not all at the same time of course).
For clients I always tell them to dress comfortably but appropriately. Most come in with button down shirts and the occasional bad tie from Kohl's. Rarely do they wear a suit, because they feel and look uncomfortable wearing it. No jeans or t shirts obviously.
I don't know if any of this is true, but I've followed it for near a decade and I've won more than I've lost so take it for whatever it's worth.
I might still have the CLE packet at the office if you're really interested I could send it to you.

If you still happen to have it, I would be most appreciative, good sir.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads