1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Master-Classter, Sep 28, 2008.

1. KObalto

KObalto Senior member

1 person likes this.
  2. Harold falcon

Harold falcon Senior member

3. naveehgreen

naveehgreen New Member

Thanks KObalto. The Rancourts look a little above my budget.. are they a better value than the other options I listed?

4. MensXchange

MensXchange New Member

I'm looking to open a men's clothing boutique... Does anybody have ideas on the best approach to purchasing off-price men's apparel from top designers?

5. noctem

noctem Member

Naveehgreen,

IMHO, I think these are a good style/quality/budget shoe: http://www.dsw.com/shoe/sperry+top-sider+men's+gold+cup+penny+loafer?prodId=258195&productRef=SEARCH

I'm in grad school so I relate to the difficulty of finding a shoe that "checks all the boxes." Feel free to ask if you have any questions as I have this shoe in a lighter color.

Best

6. poissa

poissa Senior member

What context is it apporpriate to wear contrast collar shirts? Work? Non-Work events? Suits? Sport coats? Blazers?

7. Naked Economist

Naked Economist Member

Need to purchase my first real time piece.

I am thinking of getting a silver bracelet, which I can always change to leather later.

The watch has to be automatic too.

I came up with these choices, they are all under my £900 budget.

Which one do you prefer? I would be wearing them with a suit and casually.

http://www.goldsmiths.co.uk/product/longines-sport-conquest-gents-watch-l36764766

http://www.goldsmiths.co.uk/product/longines-flagship-gents-watch-l47744126

http://www.goldsmiths.co.uk/product/longines-sport-hydroconquest-gents-watch-l36424566

I am too indecisive, so any help would be greatly appreciated. For an answer that really helps me out, I will send you a random gift in the mail.

8. poissa

poissa Senior member

The Flagship model braclet is hideous. It also reminds me of a girls watch with shoulder and braclet.
    The Sport Hydro reminds me of a Rolex. If you're okay with that, I'd say go for it. If you intend to wear the watch in casual situations it is preferable to the Sport Conquest watch. You'd have less trouble imo wearing the Longines with more formal clothing. Techincally gentlemen have pocket watches but that's another matter.

9. jasonleb1

jasonleb1 Senior member

I got several tips on suits for hot weather but what about casual wear? I live in Florida, so it's a wet heat. I'm bored of chinos/khaki shorts + a t-shirt.

10. cptjeff

cptjeff Senior member

Only with oversized double breasted suits with bright suspenders, ugly plain satin red or yellow ties, and a cigar.

Seriously, I'm not a fan, but I would limit them to suits, but for both work and social occasions.

11. AnthonyK

AnthonyK New Member

Hello all,
    I am buying a tailored suit, but I don't know the 'worth of cost' differences, if someone could please help with my decision I would appreciate it.

Suit 1 - A 3 piece serge suit which is made of 30% wool, 70% polyester

or

Suit 2 - A 3 piece VITALE BARBERIS CANONICO 120S, 100% wool, 240g/m, half canvas suit.

I would assume suit 2 would look and feel about better but it will be over 4x the price as suit 1. I don't mind spending the money if it is really worth it and I am only wearing it once.
    Thank you again for your help.

12. Lucan

Lucan Senior member

Think this would look better with a suit:
    http://www.goldsmiths.co.uk/product/raymond-weil-tradition-gents-automatic-watch-2837stc00659

If I were you, I'd consider getting this watch to wear with a suit, and then buy cheaper watches for casual wear. You can then maybe have a few cheaper watches which go with different colours and types of casual outfit, and be happy that this watch looks spot on with a suit, and you wouldn't have to wear your 'good' watch on any activities where it might get scratched.

13. Munkkis

Munkkis New Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hi guys, is one of these combinations suitable for a club look or am I missmatching?

14. JubeiSpiegel

JubeiSpiegel Senior member

I live in Florida, and have no trouble with tropical wool or linen blends. Have at it friend, bask in the wet heat :)

Last edited: Sep 7, 2012
  15. Mr Engineer

Mr Engineer Senior member

Bout how much does it cost to have a tailor let out the seat on a pair of pants?

16. JubeiSpiegel

JubeiSpiegel Senior member

In my experience, a nominal $10 - 15 charge. Not an expensive alteration.

1 person likes this.
  17. ItSuit

ItSuit Active Member

I have this sweater I was wondering what would go with it? I have a pair of dark jeans that go with it. Would Khaki go with this and what type of shirt, beside a white shirt. Thanks.

[​IMG]

18. smk

smk Well-Known Member

what about socks?
    (I'm wearing a dark navy suit, merlot color shoes, burgandy tie for a wedding as a guest)

Last edited: Sep 7, 2012
  19. Mr Engineer

Mr Engineer Senior member

Bout how much does it cost for a tailor to slim pant from the knee down?

20. murtabak

murtabak New Member

I'm looking to tailor a cotton khaki sport coat, thing is I'm unsure of having it lined or unlined. I live in Singapore and the weather is rather unforgiving at times so that might suggest leaving it unlined. However, I've also read that having a lining helps with the drape of the jacket. So which would be a better option?

Another thing is that I'm looking to purchase a pair of tassel loafers. The likes of Alden, C&J etc. are well out of my range, so what are some viable options? Would brands like Loake or Meermin serve as good beaters?