1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Master-Classter, Sep 28, 2008.

1. Gauss17

Gauss17 Senior member

While not my favorite, I might like a black grenadine tie and a grey suit with it.

2. aw82

aw82 Well-Known Member

Several people in this thread have recommended BB Milanos. They're normally $90 but on sale for $39 right now (plus tax and shipping brings it closer to $50 or $55).

3. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

I would use regular dark horn buttons. The jacket has a real identity crisis because it is a twill weave, besom flaps that point to businesswear, yet it is black which makes it an outlier, and doesn't have trousers. With horn buttons it will look like an orphaned suit jacket, but it might look too "fashiony" or flashy, or tacky if you put like smoked MOP buttons on it. I wouldn't do anything flashier than smoked MOP, imo. If you do metal buttons it will look sort of military, or costumey. I wouldn't go there.

4. JiXin

JiXin New Member

Got a new tie and pocket square -- wondering if they are too "matchy"

I didn't match the pattern, but they are both red (veering towards purple) with yellow accents. The red is a little different in each (the square being a little "redder" than the tie)

Thoughts? I'm wearing this with a dark suit.

[​IMG]

Thanks for any advice.

5. CousinDonuts

CousinDonuts Senior member

How much should it cost (midwest/non-coast dollars) to slim the sleeves of a sportcoat?

6. KObalto

KObalto Senior member

Burgundy tie, charcoal suit.

7. KObalto

KObalto Senior member

Where is it made? Italy? What does the heel look like?

8. ChrisL

ChrisL New Member

Question:

Tomorrow I have an outdoors wedding / Barn wedding w/o any AC. I'm not the smallest of guys, but I am a sweater.. I'll bring an extra shirt, but at what point is the jacket excused? How do you deal with 100*+ weather?

Thanks

C

9. Caustic Man

Caustic Man Senior member

The jacket is always excused in 100+ degree weather.

10. dieworkwear

dieworkwear Senior member

Bill's Khakis is pretty good. M3 is their slim fit, while M2 is more traditional. I wear an M3 in my regular size (meaning, no need to size up or down for compensation). I think they're better built than Brooks' chinos.

If you Google around, you can find them for something like $115. A seller on Amazon is often having a sale on them at that price. Sometimes they go on Sierra Trading Post for something like $65 a pair.

Check Cordings, Pakeman, and Hoggs of Fife for traditionally cut models; Epaulet New York and Howard Yount for slim fits; and Ralph Lauren and Brooks Brothers as well. The last two - RL and BB - will have a range of models for different cuts.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2012
    1 person likes this.
  11. bluedove

bluedove Well-Known Member

who makes and where can i purchase this boot
    [​IMG]

12. Bartleby Trout

Bartleby Trout Senior member

First time poster here.

Hello. Looking forward to reading and (sometimes) writing.

Here's my question:

What companies make the smallest men's clothes? In other words, what companies make an extra small that is EXTRA small? (For example, Banana Republic's extra small isn't very small.) The companies can be online only.

Thank you.

13. aftermath

aftermath New Member

I am looking to get a bespoke suit but I am a noob. I am willing to spend ~$500 and would like some guidance from the tailor (I know I want charcoal). It is important to me that there is someone guiding me through the process and I'd like to be measured (don't trust myself). I also work during the week so I would need to go on a weekend. There is no real rush, but I'd like to get measured as soon as possible. Any recommendations?

Thick as thieves is booked through october and proper suit seems a bit pricey.

14. aftermath

aftermath New Member

I am looking to get a bespoke suit but I am a noob. I am willing to spend ~$500 and would like some guidance from the tailor (I know I want charcoal). It is important to me that there is someone guiding me through the process and I'd like to be measured (don't trust myself). I also work during the week so I would need to go on a weekend. There is no real rush, but I'd like to get measured as soon as possible. Any recommendations?

Thick as thieves is booked through october and proper suit seems a bit pricey.

15. MattMo

MattMo Member

Question:

Which suit to keep/buy?

1. http://store-us.hugoboss.com/mens-s...en_US,pd.html?cgid=21100#!color=021_Dark-Grey
    Caveat: 55% Virgin Wool/42% Viscose IE Wool blend suit? (Is this a caveat?)
    Price paid with tax: $277 - No alterations done yet. Estimated final price: $320

2. Indochino MTM Suit
    Pro: 100% wool, Alteration credit
    Con: Takes awhile, Learning curve

Anything I'm missing here? Is that Boss suit really that bad even if it's a wool blend?

My budget is under $350 including alterations so no canvassed suits for me (yet). Trying to get the best option for my money.

Thanks!

16. md2010

md2010 Senior member

Hi gents,
    Just bought this blazer (the price was too good). Now I have been searching in Google for some ideas on what pants to wear with this jacket. This is Steel Grey Velvet jacket. Can this jacket be worn in the day time to work as smart business casual without attracting too much attentions ? I am thinking of a pair of Dark navy pants and light sold shirts and may even layer it with a navy v neck sweater . Is it too pimp-ish ? I also have a solid navy dress shirt which has a tiny bit sheen .... will it work under this blazer ? Your feedback will be much appreciated.
    First pic is the blazer I purchased. Second one I found on the net.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 2, 2012
  17. Sanguis Mortuum

Sanguis Mortuum Senior member

I think you mean a made to measure suit. You cannot get a bespoke suit for $500.

18. mkarim

mkarim Senior member

I think they're too matchy. I'd wear one or the other but no both. Wearing both with a dark suit would draw other people's eyes to both pieces, preventing the eyes from focusing on either one.

19. mkarim

mkarim Senior member

Whatever you do, get measured by an actual tailor and never ever get a made-to-measure suit online. No matter what anyone says, those never work out. Spend a little more and get yourself measured and the suit made at an actual tailor shop in person.

20. yancybaby

yancybaby Member

Hey all, I am a SUPER skinny guy (6'1", 142 lbs) really hurting in the oxford department. Just about everything I try fits like a trash bag. Any suggestions on slim fitting, casual oxfords/shirts that could be worn untucked? The cheaper the better but I'd be willing to shell out the dough if it's going to last me in the long run.