• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

glen0garets

Reaction score
My 3 year old and 5 year old daughters are very happy with their Hello Kitty watches. The watches are white, but also have a walkie talkie function, so that may be an additional selling point for you.

Troll is a troll. -.-

For everyone else. Thank you.

New Shoes1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Troll is a troll. -.-

For everyone else. Thank you.

Tell me how my answer was not responsive to this incredibly vague question that says absolutely nothing about gender, age, price range, style preferences, or whether you are looking for a casual or dress watch:

I have a smaller wrist. What kind of watch should I look into?

For all I know, you are really into Hello Kitty. I know my daughers are. For what it's worth, you will find that you get better answers when you ask more specific questions. And, because I still have no clue regarding your price range or taste, I can only direct you to the Poor Man's Watch guide thread or the Watch Appreciation thread. Both are active and right there on the first page.

Kid Nickels

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

hi there where do you find good quality clothes for a reasonable price.

usually in my closet...

Concerning the fit of pointy-toe shoes, it's normal to have like an inch or so of space in the toe-box, depending on how pointy the shoe is right?

ya that would be the case but if you're getting too pointy then its not a good way to go... you end up with elf shoes

Sevier

Reaction score
When stores refer to 8.5 oz wool or 14oz twill, what area of cloth is this measuring?

Liam O

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
iirc usually square yard, although i think if its in grams and isn't an english or american fabric it's probably by metre.

Last edited:

Bear

Reaction score
Could I use Alden Color 8 Cordovan fine paste wax on calfskin? And use it just like normal Kiwi wax?

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Could I use Alden Color 8 Cordovan fine paste wax on calfskin?  And use it just like normal Kiwi wax?

If I am correct the only that thing makes it "cordovan" is the color. Other than that it is a regular polish.

teacher2

Reaction score
For those that wear a business shirt each day to work....

How many business shirts do you own?

I am especially interested in those starting out in the professional world / in their first year or two.... but, will happily listen to the old boys as well.

I have around 9 completely acceptable business shirts and two acceptable business shirts and about five shirts I wouldn't feel comfortable wearing to my new job (start next month) - some of which I may be able to wear in an absolute pinch / some of which I can wear on the rare Friday that I am in the office / some of which I just won't wear to anything except a work casual function.

I'm thinking that, effectively, I have around 10 business shirts that I am happy with.... how many do you have?

Cheers

Steve Smith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nine should be plenty, although the SF average is 746.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I am especially interested in those starting out in the professional world / in their first year or two.... but, will happily listen to the old boys as well.

I have around 9 completely acceptable business shirts and two acceptable business shirts and about five shirts I wouldn't feel comfortable wearing to my new job (start next month) - some of which I may be able to wear in an absolute pinch / some of which I can wear on the rare Friday that I am in the office / some of which I just won't wear to anything except a work casual function.

I'm thinking that, effectively, I have around 10 business shirts that I am happy with.... how many do you have?

Cheers

I wear the same shirt every day. I wash it on Saturdays.

Liam O

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Cheers

If you keep them pretty tame you only really need about five.

If you want the most versatile shirts get spread collar barrel cuffs (french are fine if you're not in the states it seems) in Blue, While, and Ivory, solid twills, maybe 1 or two fairly conservative checks in blue and white. People won't realize you're wearing the same shirt every week and they'll go with pretty much everything. If you do casual fridays I'd get one to three slightly more patterned OCBD that you can wear with a tweed SC and sweater vest, or under a cardigan, etc, and make for a great weekend shirt upgrade.

That being said, I personally have about ten conservative business dress appropriate dress shirts, which is precisely ten times more conservative business dress outfits than I wear in a given month, and wear loud OCBD's about five days a week.

Liam O

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wear the same shirt every day. I wash it on Saturdays.

Its incredibly hard to tell when you're joking.

My dad does that though. We also finally managed to throw out his penny loafers (they're five years older than I am) last year. They looked like birkenstocks. Now, he wears crocs.

jrd617

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Sized up in Samuelsohn and Isaia. (Suit pants not pictured) Here's the first jacket, a 40R. Thoughts?

Chest tightness isn't a problem anymore, but the back looks a lot messier. Probably needs to be shortened about a half an inch too.

ss.jpg

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads