1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Master-Classter, Sep 28, 2008.

1. Winston S.

Winston S. Senior member

+1.

Personally, there are too many patterns in that ensemble for me.

2. whiskeybeard

whiskeybeard Senior member

Okay, I realize brand/price aren't everything but for what it's worth it is a $200 Brioni tie. If it looks cheap despite that I can only say again, that's disheartening. Would be interested in second opinions if people have them.

3. jrd617

jrd617 Senior member

You asked for opinion, I gave it. Not going to change it.

Brioni makes plenty of tacky looking ties. Marinella and Drakes, not so much.

4. whiskeybeard

I wasn't suggesting you should change your opinion; I was asking about those of others. As I mentioned I'm grateful for your input, which as you correctly observe I did solicit.

5. dah328

dah328 Senior member

I don't think the tie is cheap-looking or unfit for wearing, but if I had a choice of Brioni ties, I would probably choose one with a more subdued pattern. The biggest problem with your shirt is its more casual pattern. Swapping that shirt out for a solid would significantly improve the combination.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2012
  6. bigasahouse

bigasahouse Senior member

Anybody have a saved copy of F.Cobera's "Practical Thoughts on Coherent Combinations for beginners"?

It's not accessible anymore here.

I really would like a copy to refer to.

Thanks!

Shoot me a PM if you'd rather not respond here.

7. Gibonius

Gibonius Senior member

Too much going on. Windowpane jacket + multi-check shirt + diamond grid/pattern tie, just too busy.

I'd like the tie a lot better without the diagonal lines, but it's not awful. Just doesn't work there.

Also agree with others that the shirt is too casual.

8. whiskeybeard

Thanks all. If anyone has suggestions for a different shirt or different shirt/tie combo, I would appreciate it. (I did up wearing a white spread collar shirt with this suit a month ago when I went to a different wedding and wanted to try something a little different this time, but as jrd points out that is certainly an easy option.)

9. TM79

TM79 Senior member

You coud do a light blue shirt and then use a tie with some sort of pattern - that wouldn't be too much noise.

I think a white dress shirt is the way to go since it's a wedding, though.

10. whiskeybeard

I did consider a light blue shirt, and may still go that direction. Maybe I should mention that although this is a wedding the dress code will not be particularly formal -- likely lots of mid-late 20s people with maybe half of the men even wearing suits -- so I don't necessarily feel like going for something a little funner/bolder would be frowned upon (though I acknowledge there's a big difference between bold and overly busy.)

edit: Maybe I should also add that the ceremony will be outdoors (in SF.)

11. TM79

TM79 Senior member

I think a light blue shirt and a dark burgundy tie would look really nice. Just make sure the tie isn't too red or shiny if you go in that direction.

12. Namehere2

Namehere2 Active Member

[​IMG]
    Hey there. I am looking to buy new shoes. I currently have what I show you on the picture here.
    I want to expand, preferrably with a pair of suede oxfords or suede chukka/desert boots. The color is the only thing that's stopping me from a decision. What would be more versatile, grey or dark brown?

13. KObalto

KObalto Senior member

14. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

I would get a pair of dark brown captoe oxfords, or some dark brown wingtip derbies. Suede is out of the question for you, you need more basics. As is you don't even have that. Also an unconventional color like gray is out of the question. Get gray suede shoes when you already have 10 pairs of good shoes.

15. mensimageconsultant

mensimageconsultant Senior member

Shoe color cannot be said without knowing something about the circumstances. Other colors might sometimes be okay. Purple? As in solid purple. Please don't. Purple on a whilte background would be good. Light green, even solid, might work - but again, circumstances. Additional advice: don't buy the suit, or return it if you can. That's a low-quality line, and the style isn't versatile.

16. fritzl

fritzl Senior member

no, but you.

17. fritzl

fritzl Senior member

sure.

18. jbernard

jbernard Senior member

It really depends on the wedding, but I would say it is a little but to informal and more going to a golfing event.

19. Namehere2

Namehere2 Active Member

Okey. It might be worth adding that I'm a 18 year old student. I don't wear suits and stuff, just casual clothes. Would you still go for brown?

20. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

Brown is a casual color.