• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Kid Nickels

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

It's simply a matter of taste.  Some people prefer MOP buttons on a blazer over silver or gold.  Some prefer silver or gold.  Some prefer horn buttons for a more casual look.  It's simply about what you like.

or on a shirt... (almost) always MOP.... and prefer b/c it's NOT plastic.

Last edited:

gettoasty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
are there socks a bit thinner than gold toe?

i have a pair of AE clifton 8.5D that just kill my feet (narrow side, near the vamp?) after a day of wear, or sooner.
a pair of AE leed 8.5D feel SO good in comparison.

and the major difference i noticed is the socks i wear.

need thinner socks. gladly take all recommendations

TIA

ethanm

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
^It's not the socks. Leeds are 1 last and Cliftons are 8 last, the latter being roomier.

gettoasty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
You mean the former being roomier? because i said the Cliftons have been a bit tight when i wore gold toe socks compared to when wearing same type of sock while with the Leeds on feet

FWIW, i think the socks do make a difference, as minimal it maybe. My feet are not hurting if I wear this thin pair of socks I have albeit OLD. Perhaps that is why it is so thin :lol:

Last edited:

ethanm

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Well then that's weird. The 8 last is fuller than 1.

gettoasty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Not sure then. Must be my flat feet and lack of arch, so it is wider than usual.

collegeguy88

Reaction score
I'm 38 chest, 32 waist, 15 neck, and THIRTY-TWO (32) sleeves. Any recommendations on which off-the-rack shirts will fit best?

black_umbrella

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Tying into the button commentary above,

what's a good source for horn buttons? I'm looking to replace some plastic buttons on a couple of SC's.

Van Veen

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Tying into the button commentary above,
what's a good source for horn buttons? I'm looking to replace some plastic buttons on a couple of SC's.

I just got some from Benno's Buttons that look pretty good.

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

You mean the former being roomier? because i said the Cliftons have been a bit tight when i wore gold toe socks compared to when wearing same type of sock while with the Leeds on feet
FWIW, i think the socks do make a difference, as minimal it maybe. My feet are not hurting if I wear this thin pair of socks I have albeit OLD. Perhaps that is why it is so thin :lol:

Probably a question of shape rather than roominess. It's not the socks. Different lasts fit feet in different ways, I would guess that the #8 last is just wrong for you.

gettoasty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
well aware of all that, but is there really no socks thinner than gold toe i can purchase? :lol:

should i be looking a different blends?

Gdot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Pantherella makes a particularly thin sock. I believe they call them 'business socks' very fine gauge knit. I like them a lot for summer and for my most formal suit days.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads