Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Master-Classter, Sep 28, 2008.

1. Liam O

Liam O Senior member

life got so much easier when I realized Theo smokes cigars. I haven't paid for my cheesefries in a year.

2. Liam O

Liam O Senior member

3. Sanguis Mortuum

Sanguis Mortuum Senior member

If a long size fits you correctly, what could possibly make you believe that a short size could be remotely close to fitting?

4. Raindrop

Raindrop Senior member

5. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

Not unless you plan on rolling around in the snow in it. General winter wear shouldn't harm it. I would get some Lexol conditioner to use on it every now and again to keep it supple.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2012

6. thompssc13

thompssc13 Member

This is a bit of newb question, but where can I get tan/beige colored dress pants that are NOT that khaki/denim like material? Something to wear to work and look a bit more casual than wearing black/charcoal pants, but not as casual as regular Docker khaki's. I'm not looking for something super expensive, not BIFL, I'm just a college student doing a 6-month internship, so I really only need a pair or two to intermingle with my black/charcoal/mid-gray colored pants to mix it up, and they really don't need to last more than a few years at which point I'll be making $$ and will be able to afford the good stuff.

Mostly I'm just wondering what those are called. If I search for "khaki's", I get the Docker denim crap. Help for a newb?

Thanks!

7. Sanguis Mortuum

Sanguis Mortuum Senior member

Just look for wool trousers rather than cotton twill which is the sort of thing that khakis are usually made from. For example, Howard Yount has some nice brown wool trousers, and some thinner wool ones for the summer months.

8. deionmccoy

deionmccoy Member

So Nay on the Rucksacks. Any other type of good bag that can hold up for a student? Also, where's the best place to get a CHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAP flannel, plaid, or just button up shirt? Oh, and opinions on double pocket vs single pocket vs no pocket?

9. indianshaft

indianshaft Senior member

What width are shoes that say c/a?

10. Gibonius

Gibonius Senior member

C. A is the heel width.

11. indianshaft

indianshaft Senior member

Thanks ^

12. jrd617

jrd617 Senior member

This might sound like a dumb question, but how much room do you leave in your overcoat shoulders? I've always kind of "winged" the fit at stores.

Say your jackets are 18'' seam-to-seam. Would you go for a coat with about 18.5 seam-to-seam? Answers will probably vary based on preference for jacket shoulder padding (heavy vs. light, etc.)

13. Epistolary

Epistolary New Member

I apologize if anything about this is improper; this will be my first post here.

To give some context, I am a first-year law student and I will be participating in a mock trial competition. Ironically, given my desired profession, I am not great fan of suits and know almost nothing of such things. I'm intensely self-conscious and lacking in any sort of confidence, so I don't want to do anything that is foolish or bold nor do I want to make any sort of fashion statement (and I have very little sense of what fashions are foolish/bold/etc).

Questions:
    • I purchased a charcoal gray suit over the weekend. Can I wear a black vest with this suit without looking foolish?
    • Would the following raise any flags: charcoal gray suit, white shirt, black shoes, black tie (tie is textured, not one of those shiny solids), a black vest, a pocket watch (I'll be wearing this with or without the vest; I don't want to come across as pretentious, but it was a gift to me when I entered law school), and a white pocket square with edges lined in black (I was advised that having the edges of a pocket square match the tie was a thing... I don't know from whence such rules come...)

The set listed above is perhaps a little somber, but that's just my disposition showing, I think. In any case, thank you for your time.

14. ethanm

ethanm Senior member

Wear the suit with black shoes and a white shirt and a pocket square if you must. Wearing a three piece with a pocket watch will definitely look affected.

15. Epistolary

Epistolary New Member

Thank you for the quick response. A related question: would wearing a light gray (lighter than the suit) shirt mellow the set out a bit? The white shirt strikes me as overly-sharp/bright. Would a gray shirt be too much?

Again, thank you.