1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Master-Classter, Sep 28, 2008.

1. IAmCaulfield

IAmCaulfield Member

How dark would you go on the pants? I don't have a pair of medium gray pants. Just light and dark gray.

2. jbernard

jbernard Senior member

I very much like ticket pockets with peak lapels. The only ticket pocket suit i currently own is a peak lapel. If hat helps. It really comes to what you personally like. If you want to see what it looks like (you will have to imagine it with smaller lapels) but look up Harvey specter suits from the tv show. He wears nothing but peak lapel suits (albeit they are 3 roll 2's) with ticket pockets.

3. periklis

periklis New Member

My University has two big career fairs every year and I am going to attend them both (one in fall and one in spring). Everyone is wearing black suits and I was wondering if I should wear one too. I read the 101 guide about interviews and it says that I shouldn’t wear a black suite in interviews; I imagine that the same applies to career fairs and information sessions. My problem is that if everyone wears a black suit and I wear a dark grey/light grey suit I will look a bit off. So, should I go with a grey suit or a black one?

Last edited: Aug 16, 2012
  4. Sanguis Mortuum

Sanguis Mortuum Senior member

Why not? Unless they were reduced and specifically marked as damaged they can't just unknowingly sell you soiled goods then refuse to take them back. The trousers are damaged, surely they have to take them back? Do you not have any consumer protection laws in the US?

Imagine if a company sold you a TV that turned out to be broken and non-working, then refused to allow you to return it. That would be ridiculous, wouldn't it?

5. msulinski

msulinski Senior member

To follow up on this, did you pay with a credit card? If so, call them and contest the charge. They almost always side with the consumer, especially if the consumer has good reason.

6. msulinski

msulinski Senior member

How do you know everyone is going to wear a black suit? It might just be the people you talked to. I seriously doubt any of the recruiters will be in black suits. So my advice is, just because everyone else looks bad doesn't mean you should too, so don't wear black. If you wear a charcoal suit, I really don't think you will look out of place, even if everyone else is in black.

7. parmand

parmand Member

Totally agree with this. I went to some career fairs when I was in college (about 3-4 years ago) in a Charcoal suit. While I don't think I looked particularly amazing, I definitely didn't feel out of place. Go with what you think looks good, you'll feel more confident. THAT means everything, IMO, not the color of suit you're wearing ;).

8. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

TM Lewin shirts aslo.

Don't wear a black jacket. That is horrible, man.

Don't wear a black suit ever. That is horrible, man.

Threaten to crucify them on Yelp.

9. KObalto

KObalto Senior member

Hard to tell w/o seeing the pants. If the dark grey aren't almost charcoal, they would probably work.

10. ethanm

ethanm Senior member

Does a black, cap toe balmoral (where the vamp goes all the way around the heel like a longwing) under 400 exist?

11. IAmCaulfield

IAmCaulfield Member

Ok thank you. They are basically charcoal. I assumed navy pants with dark brown shoes. Would this also work?

12. Blog Marley

Blog Marley Senior member

Items were listed as final sale. I'll call my bank and try to dispute the charge.

13. Winston S.

Winston S. Senior member

Wait for C&J shoes to go on sale at Barney's.

14. Essential

Essential Senior member

To be honest, you should've noticed those humongous stains before you bought it. Should have checked everything all over to make sure everything was fine since it said final sale.

-------------
    My previous question was unanswered:

So I have a pair of AE loafers and I daubed some shoe cream on it. I didn't polish it or anything else. Whenever water even touches my shoe, the cream gets stuck in the drop of water.

Did I do something wrong? Was I supposed to daub the shoe with a damp cloth after putting the cream on?

15. Blog Marley

Blog Marley Senior member

They were bought online, no way I could notice those stains...

Which shirt looks better? Sorry for the craptastic photo quality.

BB2
    [​IMG]

BB1
    [​IMG]

BB1 feels a little tighter in the shoulders. BB2 feels a little too loose.

16. otc

otc Senior member

Hey man, I know its SF dogma to hate on black...but I don't see an issue with this. It is one of my best fitting jackets, and it is only being worn in the evening (in fact it is after 6 now and I still don't have it on) to an event.

If I had the same jacket in a different fabric, I might pick that...but at this point the lighting will be such that I couldn't tell if you were wearing black, navy, or charcoal.

edit: although at the same time, to the dude with the recruiting day events...don't wear a black suit because everyone else is...that's dumb. I mean if its your only suit, then go for it...although you could probably just not wear a suit. I've been to a bunch of those things in college and I doubt I would care if someone wasn't wearing a suit. Might even make you more memorable amongst the sea of bros in black suits.

17. Koaxke

Koaxke Well-Known Member

I'm not sure if this question is more appropriate for this forum or the streetwear and denim forum, but I'll try here first. I'm having issues finding a decent pair of brown derbies to wear out on the weekends with a nice pair of dark denim. What would be some good companies to check out aside from Allen Edmonds (I didn't see anything that caught my eye there)?

18. mktitsworth

mktitsworth Senior member

That depends entirely upon your price range.

19. SirGrotius

SirGrotius Senior member

Tried on a pair of John Lobb's Newbury today. LOVED them to pieces. Couldn't believe the quality and feel.

That said, I sized down to an 8 (usually do 8.5) and still felt my heel slide the tiniest bit (not fully, but maybe a couple millimeters when I walked). Everywhere else felt right.

Is that a bad sign? I didn't purchase them, have them on hold, but I wonder if the heel should move not at all or a couple mms is okay?

A half size down more became uncomfortable.

I was wearing dress socks on a summer day.

20. Koaxke

Koaxke Well-Known Member

Ooops I could have sworn that I included that, but upon further inspection of my post it looks like I didn't. I'm willing to spend ~$300-350 tops.