• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

taz20075

Reaction score
My shoulders measure 18". When I buy suits, how much allowance do I add to make sure a suit fits in the shoulders?

And is it true (I read somewhere on the internets) that a chest is usually cut 4" larger than your chest measurement? So my 42' chest (a 42R) would be cut at 46"?

chrisjr

Reaction score
Can anyone post some interesting menswear youtube videos? I watched one in another thread a week ago but can't seem to find it... it was a 8-10min video by, i think, luciano barbera, in which a tailor/designer is getting dressed in the morning and gets in his vintage mercedes benz, goes to the office/studio and starts work. Interested in seeing any other neat videos like this that have inspired you.

Tck13

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here are a couple (to lazy to post links):

mr porter, mantic59 (the BEST grooming / shaving), realmenrealstyle (somewhat ok), alphamconsulting (kind of annoying but ok)

Here's another video by putthison (I follow him on twitter). I have a link to one of their videos on my blog: Link to rustmenswear

Don't think he's on youtube, though...

Last edited:

ashjini

Reaction score
Just bought a suit off eBay from a consignment shop (INA NYC) and I specifically asked if there were any stains on it and was told no. Photos showed a slight one by the lapel but not a major issue. Got the suit today and there are a couple more in the front area. (not apparent in photos). What's the best way to deal with this as I like the suit and it fits well, but am a bit pissed as I asked beforehand for them to check.

Dispute it on paypal "Item significantly different than advertised" They will work with you for a solution.

Tck13

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Dispute it on paypal "Item significantly different than advertised" They will work with you for a solution.

It's easier to actually talk to the original person and see if they will take care of it for you. I'd say disputing it through paypal is the second or last option.

stevent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

It's easier to actually talk to the original person and see if they will take care of it for you. I'd say disputing it through paypal is the second or last option.

Yeah I took it the the dry cleaners to see if they can remove it. It's a gray suit with a light herringbone pattern. The stains (brownish, looks like coffee) are a few spots around the 3-2 roll area and the second button. It doesn't really show up indoors but when you step outside, it's obvious. My main issue is that I asked specifically before hand about any stains and the seller said none. I also sent them a message and they told me they went over it and there were no stains. The suit is in really good condition otherwise with very little wear. Get it back Monday from the dry cleaners so we'll see.

Last edited:

Coldsnap

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
How do you fix a slippery leather sole? It's slippery around my toes.

GamaH

Reaction score
Edit: my bad, I misread the question.

Last edited:

Gibonius

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Yeah I took it the the dry cleaners to see if they can remove it. It's a gray suit with a light herringbone pattern. The stains (brownish, looks like coffee) are a few spots around the 3-2 roll area and the second button. It doesn't really show up indoors but when you step outside, it's obvious. My main issue is that I asked specifically before hand about any stains and the seller said none. I also sent them a message and they told me they went over it and there were no stains. The suit is in really good condition otherwise with very little wear. Get it back Monday from the dry cleaners so we'll see.

Did you take pictures before getting it cleaned?

Also, seconding the above: always contact the seller before contacting Ebay. It's the civil thing to do, you have way more flexibility, and the sellers will almost always play ball. I've had some even pay return shipping, which Ebay will make you eat.

stevent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Did you take pictures before getting it cleaned?
Also, seconding the above: always contact the seller before contacting Ebay. It's the civil thing to do, you have way more flexibility, and the sellers will almost always play ball. I've had some even pay return shipping, which Ebay will make you eat.

Yeah I took pictures. I'd like to keep the suit if the stains come out or are lighter

w00tah

Reaction score
Has Lanvin ever made men's shirts Korea?
It was cotton and polyester, which didn't surprise me but the Korea part did.

Last edited:

Van Veen

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I thrifted a tie today. One label says "SAXXON" (the two X's are bigger than the other letters) and another says "85% wool/15% silk, imported from France". I can't find any info about Saxxon ties. Does anybody know anything?

GMMcL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I picked up a vintage overcoat today while out thrifting. Can anyone tell me about the brand/maker? (See below, and please excuse pic quality and whatnot)

I did searches for Crombie and read plenty of posts. What I'm after is some guidance whether this older tag is some older incarnation of Crombie or something else entirely. Just curious, really, because it fits me well and actually doesn't look too "dated." It's dark navy with a very subtle french twill or herringbone weave. Wool is decent quality with a good feel. Canvasing is ... odd. It's definitely there, and there's no bubbling I can see, but the canvas it has doesn't give it much structure. Otherwise, condition is phenomenal.

Gibonius

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads