• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

cbbuff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Bump for great justice.

You have not said what you want it for, but it looks like a decent casual jacket for the price. It's a bit hard to tell, but it looks like the lapel would roll to the 2nd button if they didn't have the damned thing all buttoned up. I don't know why they would do that.

The pick stitching looks a bit overboard for me.

Simsimin

Reaction score
Does anyone know what coat this is, and where I can get it? Not so sure about the colour though. And ofc, what's your opinion about it?

CDHagg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What's the general consensus on Paul Smith suits?

Found one for $1300; it fits just about perfectly and is halfed canvassed. I thought it seemed well-made, but I'd welcome any input.

Kid Nickels

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

What's the general consensus on Paul Smith suits? 

Found one for $1300; it fits just about perfectly and is halfed canvassed.  I thought it seemed well-made, but I'd welcome any input.

hey CD I thought you were gonna get one made... what's w/ the PS idea? I'm sure you could've found one over the holidays on sale for about half that.

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I did some research but I couldn't find a definitive answer...
My question is: When is it appropriate/inappropriate to wear a black necktie? Is there freedom of movement or is a black necktie usually anchored by etiquette? I'm not referring to "black tie event" etiquette of dress, just simply the rules of the black necktie.
... If there are any at all..?
Thanks all.

No. Funerals would demand something dark and sober, often interpreted as black, and you wouldn't wear one to a wedding, but other than that...

Dark suit/ white shirt/ black tie is one of those all time classic looks.

12345Michael54321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There are no simple, hard and fast rules about wearing a black necktie, although certainly general guidelines with regard to color and texture apply (as they do to any necktie). The blog "A Suitable Wardrobe," had a couple of entries on black neckties, a while back. Let me see if I can dig up the links...

Here they are:

http://asuitablewardrobe.dynend.com/2009/09/consider-black-necktie.html
http://asuitablewardrobe.dynend.com/2011/04/reprising-black-necktie.html

FWIW, I don't often wear a black tie (other than at black tie events), but I do sometimes wear a black silk knit tie with a khaki poplin suit. I've also worn a black Grenadine with a navy blazer, once or twice. It's not my preferred combination, but it's far from terrible.

I try to avoid wearing a black tie with a grey suit, as it's just too colorless and somber a combination for my taste. I guess it'd be appropriate for a funeral, though.

Then again, at the last funeral I attended, I wore a grey tie.

When I wear a black tie, I do not feel compelled to match it to black shoes. Wearing it with burgundy colored shoes is perfectly all right. Preferable to wearing it with brown shoes, at least most of the time. Maybe it's just me, but I think black and red works better than black and brown.

I avoid skinny black ties. Then again, I also avoid skinny non-black ties.
--
Michael

Last edited:

htrieu

Reaction score
I'm looking for a new pair of casual shoes that conservative/not too bold. I'd be wearing these day to day to school (I'm an undergraduate student). My desert boots are my current daily shoe. Any recommendations? Thanks.

Liquidus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'm looking for a new pair of casual shoes that conservative/not too bold. I'd be wearing these day to day to school (I'm an undergraduate student). My desert boots are my current daily shoe. Any recommendations? Thanks.

Boat shoes or a leather boot.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics