Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Master-Classter, Sep 28, 2008.

1. The Thin Man

The Thin Man Senior member

This will be tricky for many tailors. I would send it to tie crafters in New York, which charges $19.50 for narrowing and $9.50 to ship it back to you. http://tiecrafters.com/alterations.html

Last edited: Jan 8, 2012

2. The Thin Man

The Thin Man Senior member

The pattern isn't noticeable in the photo. It's likely barely noticeable in real life. Therefore, it really doesn't make a difference. Order it if you like it.

3. yywwyy

yywwyy Senior member

Anyone know if a 71% wool 29% Mohair blend by Paul Smith London will be warm for winter>?

4. razl

razl Senior member

Depends on what your winter is like. I'm in Florida where we probably won't see 30s but for a handful of days before March, so it would work fine here (combined with other cool weather clothing). If you're in England (ala your avatar) then I tend to think not.

5. iroh

iroh Senior member

2) what is the appeal of suede shoes? i know some members on this forum really like them, not sure why? care to explain? the soft fuzziness on the outside make the shoe lack definition from afar, i don't think it is a good look. they don't age or develop a patina like normal leather shoes. brogueing on suede just looks too fuzzy and hard to see. suede leather is artifiical, like bonded leather or top grain leather or pebblegrain leather or croc embossed calf leather, they cannot compare to the real deal fullgrain leather. for those reasons i tend to stay away from them. so for those people who like them why do you like them so much?

6. yywwyy

yywwyy Senior member

Can Burberry London coats be found at <$900?? If so, where? Anywhere online?

7. Dope Nixon

Dope Nixon Well-Known Member

8. Lionheart Biker

Lionheart Biker Senior member

9. BostonHedonist

BostonHedonist Senior member

Hey, question for Levi's Vintage Collection jeans experts. I'm looking to order a pair of LVC 501z selvedge jeans (my first pair). I know these are supposed to shrink when washed and I'm trying to figure out what size to order. I'm a 34 in most "classic fit" jeans, including Lucky and my other Levi's, and a waste line of exactly 35" when I measure with a tape.

I'd like to order a pair and basically not wash them until absolutely necessary, so I'm thinking I should order true to size at 34? Or is there a reason to size up to the 36? I'd appreciate anyone sharing their experience. My impression is that I should order true to size and wear for several months, then give the jeans a hot bath and put them on before they're totally dry and finish the process that way.

10. VonLehndorff

VonLehndorff Senior member

If you buy 36 they will always be loose- even after shrinkage. Unless you buy the unwashed, totally dark blue ones, they are already washed/pre-shrunk. But no matter how much shrinkage, they always stretch out again to some extent. Also from 34 to 36 there is a seat/hip/leg size change. if your WAISTline is 35, buy 34s as they sit on hips anyway and will stretch out after wearing. DON'T WEAR UNWASHED DARK BLUE! the dye can be poisonous. At least wash/rinse them in cold water first, let AIR DRY. then wear. If you want to shrink to shape- wash or soak in hot water, dry to still damp then wear damp and sit, bend etc. and ( this sounds weird) push+stretch out the crotch/ button fly from the inside to make room for your genitals-you'll be glad you did when the jeans dry and have shrunk. If still snug, drop 5 lbs and you'll have another 1/2 inch of freedom. If you want the assless/ droopy waist rear pockets below your butt look then get 36s. but then you are defeating the whole point of 501s. I tried on 6 pairs before I got the right ones. They are almost all a little different. good luck.

11. ethanm

ethanm Senior member

wut.

12. dafein

dafein Member

I have seen dual-sided knot cufflinks that are similar to the common silk ones but made of another material (non-metal). Does anyone have any idea what this material is or where I might find some? Apologies on not having a picture available for reference.

13. VonLehndorff

VonLehndorff Senior member

Suede shoes- I-and my fashionista wife -love them, BUT spend $ (at least 200 on sale/after a discount) for good ones, discount store suede looks like cardboard quickly, suedeing finish rubs off - suede leather is not artificial, it is a leather, brush-finished. Expensive suede brogues will have definition and last forever- USE shoetrees and just don't get them wet! Women swoon when they see them. I have suede Gucci loafers over 10 yrs old and they look new- pair of $500 Crockett and Jones I bought on sale for $250 5 years ago, still look new.

14. mrpo0nani

mrpo0nani Senior member

Does anybody know where I can get a quality braided leather belt?
    I've been told it's somewhat of a staple and would love one but can't find one that doesn't scream MALLBRAND or Polo.

Thanks a lot in advance.

15. Sanguis Mortuum

Sanguis Mortuum Senior member