• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Fycus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What are your thoughts on buying a Margiela Line 10 wool suit for casual business / etc. I want to get a more fashion forward suit to complement my other suits, however I don't think I have ever seen a margiela suit and tie, almost always without a tie. The one I am looking at has sharp shoulders and a baggier fit on the blazer, with slimmer tapered pants. I am extremely drawn to the fit on the margiela suits, but like anything am worried about the practicality of the silhouette. Will it be okay in situations where suit and tie are required? Or is this strictly casual only? I know most MC'ers don't really like the fit of margiela suits, but I figured maybe somebody with experience in the brand might be able to help me out. Thanks

cliche

Reaction score
What is size 56 pants (US) in EU? Or if someone has a good website were you can check everything right :)

Cheers!

Velazkez

Reaction score
Hi, I'm interested in purchasing my first blazer. I picked out the Brook's Brothers Country Club blazer ($453 after 30% off -- madison fit), but I'm a little worried about the fit. A 44L fits me perfect in the shoulder width (I wish it had less shoulder padding honestly), but I have a 33" waist, and it seems pretty baggy on me around the middle. When the tailor cinched the back and waist with pins, it didn't hang that well on the front left. She said its because my left shoulder is a little lower -- and maybe it is. But I'm getting cold feet. Should I just get it tailored elsewhere, or am I not thick enough to wear a 44L.

Last edited:

12345Michael54321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Hi, I'm interested in purchasing my first blazer. 

I'm curious; why did you opt for the Madison fit, which is Brooks' fullest cut, if you want a blazer that's trimmer around your middle?

I ask this not in criticism of the Madison fit, which is my own preference. But unlike many here on SF, I like fuller fitting suits and blazers, so for me it's a choice that makes sense.
--
Michael

Velazkez

Reaction score
I'm curious; why did you opt for the Madison fit, which is Brooks' fullest cut, if you want a blazer that's trimmer around your middle?
I ask this not in criticism of the Madison fit, which is my own preference. But unlike many here on SF, I like fuller fitting suits and blazers, so for me it's a choice that makes sense.
--
Michael

Because they had 2 blazers in 44L. The other was also madison cut and a little cheaper ($548 before discount and nicer wool I guess: super 130 vs super 120, though the 120 felt nicer to my hand), but something about it didn't look or feel as nice to me -- and it had more shoulder padding I thought. I could order a slimmer cut I guess. But from the pictures those don't seem to be in the same timeless blazer style. The buttons aren't the same, and the lapels look funny. Does the slimmer stuff have less shoulder padding, because I would prefer none quite honestly. I'm posting here because I need advice. Opinions are welcome.

In fact looking at pics of that gray suit above. It kind of has the same wrinkling on that fellow's left side. But its worse for me with the blazer.

Last edited:

KObalto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

What is size 56 pants (US) in EU? Or if someone has a good website were you can check everything right :)

Cheers!

Here is a good website where you can check everything:
www.google.com
Good luck!

12345Michael54321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Velazkez, if you could post a photo of yourself wearing the blazer in question, it might make it easier to comment on it.

And you're right, the traditional "timeless" Brooks Bros. blazer fit is not particularly close fitting.

And ultimately, "I bought it because they only had 2 blazers in my size, and this one seemed the better of the two," is often a situation where the best move is not to make a purchase. No, not always. But particularly when one is relatively inexperienced at buying a blazer, it doesn't hurt to have a fair number of blazers of different fits and styles from which to choose.

Seriously though, without a picture of you in the blazer, it's really difficult to say whether it's too baggy, to comment on wrinkling, to determine whether you're "not thick enough" to wear a 44L, to evaluate whether the shoulders seem overly padded, etc.
--
Michael

New Shoes1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Because they had 2 blazers in 44L. The other was also madison cut and a little cheaper ($548 before discount and nicer wool I guess: super 130 vs super 120, though the 120 felt nicer to my hand), but something about it didn't look or feel as nice to me -- and it had more shoulder padding I thought. I could order a slimmer cut I guess. But from the pictures those don't seem to be in the same timeless blazer style. The buttons aren't the same, and the lapels look funny. Does the slimmer stuff have less shoulder padding, because I would prefer none quite honestly. I'm posting here because I need advice. Opinions are welcome.

In fact looking at pics of that gray suit above. It kind of has the same wrinkling on that fellow's left side. But its worse for me with the blazer.

I would not spend that kind of money on a blazer that does not fit you right when BB has so many different cuts available. Try on different blazers to find one that fits you right. The country club blazer is slimmer than the normal Madison cut, but is still a pretty full cut (even after I sized down). I tried it on a few weeks ago and, despite the beautiful Saxxon wool, just did not like how it fit me. The Fitzgerald blazer fit great, but I did not like the hopsack option or the flannel option. I ended up going with a much cheaper Regent fit blazer ($250 on sale) because it fit me well and was a traditional worsted wool. By the way, the traditional blazer in the Regent fit (not the unstructured, more casual one) is not available in the stores and you have to ask the SA to order it for you, so that you can try it on. Even though it was not in the store that day, my SA honored the sale price. Go back and work with your SA to find a blazer that works for you.

SHS

Reaction score
Does anybody know what this type of shoe is called, and if there are others like it:

http://www.kurtgeiger.com/beatnik-2.html

It is like a chelsea boot, only lower, but a search for "chelsea shoe" doesn't really find any.

Thanks.

Last edited:

Risk_Reward

Reaction score
I recently purchased a Brooks Brothers brown houndstooth Sport Coat. I'm having trouble finding a good combination with my wardrobe. My wardrobe is not that big, which is part of the problem. I'll try adding a picture tonight, the coat doesn't seem to be on the website during the sale. It just has two colors a dark brown and a lighter one. The pattern is relatively large.

I'm looking for recommendations to combine with it. The best I've come up with is a light blue shirt with a navy grenadine tie and medium gray trousers. I think I need to buy a bright orange pocket square to liven that combination up.

I'm fairly active in politics and would likely mostly wear it to various political events, conventions, endorsement party's, etc.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I recently purchased a Brooks Brothers brown houndstooth Sport Coat. I'm having trouble finding a good combination with my wardrobe. My wardrobe is not that big, which is part of the problem. I'll try adding a picture tonight, the coat doesn't seem to be on the website during the sale. It just has two colors a dark brown and a lighter one. The pattern is relatively large.
I'm looking for recommendations to combine with it. The best I've come up with is a light blue shirt with a navy grenadine tie and medium gray trousers. I think I need to buy a bright orange pocket square to liven that combination up.
I'm fairly active in politics and would likely mostly wear it to various political events, conventions, endorsement party's, etc.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I like that combo.

comeonyouspurs

Reaction score
Hey guys, can leather/suede loafers be worn with a SC/tie/trouser combo? Or is a tie a no-no with loafers?

I've learned a whole suit is a no-no but I'm unclear about a SC and tie
teacha.gif

12345Michael54321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Absolutely nothing wrong with wearing loafers with a sport coat and tie. As patrickBOOTH notes, it's a classic combination.

The rule you may be thinking of is the one which says that loafers shouldn't be worn with a suit. And frankly, while there are certain types of loafers which strike me as too casual to wear with a suit, others are sufficiently nice (my AE Graysons, for example) that I don't hesitate to wear them with suits. So even this rule should be taken with a grain of salt.
--
Michael

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads