• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

rossyl

Reaction score
Hi going to a reasonably smart engagement party. I have a nice dark blue corduroy jacket. Is this ok and what should it go with - shirt, trousers, shoes.
THANK YOU!

You're asking a little much here. We don't even know what's in your wardrobe. I suggest posting pics of what you were thinking of wearing which will enable people to give you informed advice.

Just after rough color shirts and chinos. I might well buy what I don't have.

another member PM'd me and suggested gray chinos with white or light blue shirt.

I have got quite a few shirts in those colours and lilac, as well as nice striped shirts with pinks, blues and greens. Nice brown shoes. I lack on chino colours, mainly have beige or blue.

cheers

Last edited:

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Incotex flannel on sale now.

The "moss" looks like it could be what you're looking for.

That's quite a find, man. And good sizes available in most colours.

Refresh my memory: is it Incotex or Mabitex that taper to a really small leg opening? Anybody have an actual measurement?

My Mabitex taper to like 7.5", which is pretty damn slim and narrower than my one pair of Incotex, but afaik Incotex can also vary depending on the model so it's possible there are Incotex which are just as slim.

Anyone know if that CladMen site will ship to the UK?

Last edited:

KObalto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Just after rough color shirts and chinos. I might well buy what I don't have.
another member PM'd me and suggested gray chinos with white or light blue shirt.
I have got quite a few shirts in those colours and lilac, as well as nice striped shirts with pinks, blues and greens. Nice brown shoes. I lack on chino colours, mainly have beige or blue.
cheers

Dark blue is very versatile and will go with pretty much everything you mentioned. Just don't wear dark blue pants.

mkarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Nice sale, never heard of the site. "Investment grade 100% wool?" No telling what they will be worth in a few years. :happy:

The site has Bruno Magli and Florsheim. Looks like it caters to a Nordstrom crowd.

bradsmith

Reaction score
I got a blazer/sportcoat for Christmas in size 38. My chest measures about a quarter inch or so under 39". I had tried these on in the showroom and the 38 was what the rep felt fit me best while the 40 seemed a bit loose. Now that I've tried it on, it seems a bit on the snug side. I still have the last little bit of fat to lose, so it may be ok, but I was wondering if anyone had any quick thoughts? Is it easy to let it out a little bit in the chest/stomach area by a tailor? Or should I return it or exchange it? Sorry for the crappy photo. I was in a big hurry and realized now I didn't even tuck in the shirt I was trying on at the time.

Poindexter

Reaction score

Yeesh. That's some serious SW&D right there. On the other hand, those kids argue over whether 6" with elastic is going to be tight enough.

We have a few hipsters here, and I always want to go over and ask, 'HTF do you get your feet through there?'.

Gerry Nelson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My Mabitex taper to like 7.5", which is pretty damn slim and narrower than my one pair of Incotex, but afaik Incotex can also vary depending on the model so it's possible there are Incotex which are just as slim.
Anyone know if that CladMen site will ship to the UK?

The site doesn't mention international shipping. If you find out, please let us know. I'd order a couple of pairs.

Last edited:

clarksdb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Where can I get Paul Smith socks for a good price shipped to Canada?

Liquidus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Tried to get a mirror shine on my Alden burgundy captoes yesterday and gave up after an hour. Here was my routine:

1. Put on conditioner/cleaner and buff with horsehair brush.

2. Put base layer of Sapphir wax over shoe with cloth.

3. Wrapped cloth around my finger, dabbed in water, dabbed in wax, and applied to toe cap in fast circle rubbing motion.

4. Apply hot breath to toe cap and rub again.

5. Repeat steps 3 and 4.

I did not pause between any of the steps. Maybe this was my mistake? I think I was using too much water as well, judging by how people stress how little water should be used. After about an hour, I got a slight shine near the seam of the toe cap area, but I could still see the microbumps on the rest of the toe cap. What am I doing wrong? Do I need to remove the wax buildup if I want to start again?

Also, could someone link me to a good mirror shine guide? I've searched the forum and the two most commonly referenced guides (Sysdoc's and Saint Crispin's) are both dead. Thank you.

Last edited:

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Could be a lot of things. If you dab the cloth with a very little bit of water you don't need to dab back in wax if you have already applied the wax. Also, give the wax a minute or so to dry a bit.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads