Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Master-Classter, Sep 28, 2008.

1. CDHagg

CDHagg Senior member

So, it cost $150? What is the brand?

I recently bought a 100% cashmere scarf at Off 5th (Saks discount store) for $50. It was a Saks black label, not a brand name, but it is still cashmere. My point is that you can definitely find cheaper cashmere.

2. CDHagg

CDHagg Senior member

3. Gibonius

Gibonius Senior member

Johnstons of Elgin from Sierra Trading Post is great, at least when the Ebay flippers aren't buying them all.

4. BostonHedonist

BostonHedonist Senior member

Serious question here. I just bought a gorgeous Burberry London Mini Check shirt. Got it from Mr. Porter and it's currently sold out now everywhere. It was a steal and would have been one of my favorite check shirts. Problem is, I got a 16.5 when I should have got a size 16. Its slightly too big in the shoulders, in the sleeve length and in the chest. For most guys I know it wouldn't be an issue. But I just downsized my wardrobe by 1/3, and tossed anything that I don't LOVE. Non-perfect fit has become unacceptable.

I know my tailor can get the job done, but to tailor a shirt this well made, where all the lines match up at the seams just so, would probably cost a pretty penny. Should I get it tailored to fit me and pay for the fine needlework, or should I sell it to the forum? Decisions decisions....

[​IMG]

5. CDHagg

CDHagg Senior member

[​IMG]

I took these to a cobbler to get taps put on, and asked his advice concerning shoe care. He said that I didn't need to shine them, just use leather conditioner. Leather conditioner certainly helps-it makes the leather softer and removes smudges-but why would he tell me to not shine them? They are burnished brown leather, not shell cordovan. I thought all good leather shoes were meant to be shined...?

6. trendy88

trendy88 New Member

Hi all, I'd like to share this shirt I came across and also ask if anyone knows what brand it is. Or similar brands with this style. Does necessarily have to be pink :)
    Thanks

[​IMG][​IMG]

7. J_Quinn

J_Quinn Active Member

Do one button suits have a place in history? What would generally be the rules, style effects, when-to-wear, etc. of a one button suit?

8. DocHolliday

DocHolliday Senior member Dubiously Honored

You're not wearing it with a coat or tie? The oversized collar would bother me more than the slightly large shoulders. Personally, I would consider rebuilding the shirt more trouble than it's worth, especially considering the collar will still look large.

9. DocHolliday

Does "burnished" mean "high-shine corrected grain"? If so, polish may be of limited effectiveness. But it won't hurt to polish them, so there's no reason not to, if you think it would help.

They don't look CG in the pic, but it can be hard to tell in photos.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2011

10. DocHolliday

Yes, they do. The Savile Row firm of Huntsman is known for its one-button coats. It's a clean look, but because it's rarely seen in RTW, some folks will consider it trendy or fashion forward. If the suit is otherwise conservative, most folks probably won't notice. But typically the one-button comes with a bit of styling flair, so you have to consider the cut as a whole to determine its appropriateness for a given circumstance.

11. BostonHedonist

BostonHedonist Senior member

Thanks Doc, that's what I needed to hear.

12. royskeen

royskeen Senior member

Here's my problem. I bought a new Brunello Cucineli sports coat for a steal. It fits fine in the shoulders and when unbuttoned. However, when I button the darn thing it's too tight in the upper waist area (too much beer!). Anyway, can a tailor can remedy this? If so, at what cost? Otherwise, I may post it to B/S....

13. mlg321

mlg321 Well-Known Member

Thank you! I'm probably overthinking it but when people say hanging them out to dry do they always mean outside or just hanging them out inside change anything but just takes longer?

Last edited: Dec 20, 2011

14. justjoined11

justjoined11 Senior member

15. justjoined11

justjoined11 Senior member