1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Master-Classter, Sep 28, 2008.

1. burnbulb

burnbulb Well-Known Member

Heres my two questions im attending a hollywood themed ball , im also helping to organise it. The look im going with is similar to James Mcavoy in attonement.
    1. Do i go with the smaller windsor collar or larger Graffton?
    2.Do i put bowtie with wing s on top or behind?

2. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

If you want to look good wear a spread collar shirt with a bowtie. All else is sub-par. Just my opinion.

3. burnbulb

burnbulb Well-Known Member

thanks for reply but i dont own a stiff spread collar and its not really the look i want to go for . As most people attending will do new hollywood (think brad pitt,george clooney) i want to do an old hollywood style.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2012
  4. Ich_Dien

Ich_Dien Senior member

They're quite slim fit, more like black label than white label.

5. Sir Humphrey Appleby

Sir Humphrey Appleby Senior member

How much can a tailor take a suit in and can they do it on the torso or am I stuck with a 38, 40 whatever?

6. patrickBOOTH

They can't take in a chest, but they can the waist quite a bit.

7. Sir Humphrey Appleby

Sir Humphrey Appleby Senior member

Thanks, I'll just buy it and take it to my local tailor then, see what he says. Should be alright though. I'm guessing they can shorten the arms to more or less anything, right?

8. patrickBOOTH

9. AntiPhil

AntiPhil New Member

Hi,

This is my first post on this forum, but I've been lurking here for a couple of months.

I have a question: is the sleeves on this jacket too short? My wife thinks they are, but she knows nothing about suits, and I'm not sure what to think.

Relevant information: I plan to use the suit for job interviews. I want it to look fairly conservative, but still a little fashionable. It's a hickey by Hickey Freeman suit, in navy. Sorry the photos aren't better, but hopefully they're good enough.

If the sleeves are too short, how much should I ask the tailor to add?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. patrickBOOTH

Take a photo standing naturally. My impression based on this is no, but some people like only about 1/4" of cuff to show, you have about 1/2" there, which, imo is just fine.

11. AntiPhil

AntiPhil New Member

Thanks! I'll get my wife to help me take a better photo when she gets home. If the issue is a little too much cuff, could I fix that by finding a shirt with slightly shorter sleeves, or would that just make the shirt sleeves look too short?

12. patrickBOOTH

That was actually my second impression that your shirt sleeves are falling over your wrist hinge. You could have tailor up your sleeves 1/4" or so. Cheaper than altering the suit.

13. amathew

amathew Senior member

Does anyone else wear dress shirts on Saturday?

I like to "dress up" on the weekends with a dress shirt, chinos, and suede dress shoes. I was wondering how other dressed on the weekend.

14. dapperdoctor

dapperdoctor Senior member

Only when I have somewhere to go - otherwise, I stick to t-shirts!

15. D.B.Cooper

D.B.Cooper Senior member

What's the right pronunciation for Hermès? Her-meez, air-meez, air-may, or something else?

16. surrender

surrender Senior member

I'm looking for a light brown/tan belt to wear with chinos and jeans to match my Our Legacy penny loafers and APC chelsea boots - something not as formal as an outright dress belt, but not a saddle belt, either. Something in the middle. Any suggestions?

17. Spurious

Spurious Senior member

I only wear dress shirts, t-shirts only at night.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2012
  18. 12345Michael54321

12345Michael54321 Senior member

Technically, it's pronounced much like "er mez" or "air mez." (The initial sound sort of falls in between "er" and "air.")

Of course, many foreign words - even including names - undergo shifts in pronunciation when they become part of the English language. The point being, it's not necessarily incorrect for an English speaker, referencing the word in an English language conversation, to pronounce it somewhat differently from the way a French speaker might pronounce it in a French language conversation.

Examples abound, but perhaps among the most obvious would be the word "Paris." In French, it's "par ee'," in English, it's "par' iss." Not only is the English pronunciation perfectly correct for an English speaker, but if one were engaging in speech in English, and used the French pronunciation of the word, it would tend to sound affected and unnatural, at best.

(Pronunciation issues can sometimes get weirder than you'd believe. Consider that both Carnegie Mellon University and New York City's Carnegie Hall, are named after the same man - Andrew Carnegie. Yet his name is pronounced differently in each instance.) (FWIW, the university pronunciation is more faithful to how Mr. Carnegie himself pronounced his name. Nevertheless, using that pronunciation for the concert hall is not commonly accepted practice.)
    --
    Michael

19. bnovc

bnovc Well-Known Member

Is there a common opinion about when each of these types of belt buckles should be worn or other opinions on the difference between them?

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41jeRRcfv7L._SL190_SY246_CR0,0,190,246_.jpg
    http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31ENxYzmSfL._SL190_SY246_CR0,0,190,246_.jpg

I only have the top kind, but I like the way the bottom kind look more (maybe not with a jacket though). I haven't seen a lot of information on belts, so I probably should go seek that out before buying more, but I kind of like something like http://www.amazon.com/Erik-Blaire-M...F8&qid=1340458245&sr=1-3&keywords=men's+belts.

20. doughboysc

doughboysc Senior member

I've got a few extra questions to ask.

1.)Why darker colors for suits or sportcoats and even trousers are better on heavy men than light colors? I found out my body type, it's Inverted V.

2.)Which width of neckties I do better with since my weight and height I require extra long neckties? 3.5" or under 5"?

3.)Recently, my neck is 18" with 34" sleeve with 52" chest and 58" waist. What's best for me for Dress Shirts? Off the rack (over-the-peg what Brits call it) or MTM and or Bespoke?

4.)Would a longer length collar or short length collar dress shirts (like the ones wearing that's trendy like GQ magazines) would suit my face? If you said I need a longer collar length, would it be 3.5" to 4.75 inches long with a longer collar band? Man I miss the two-button collar shirts that were popular during the early-late 2000s. :(

5.)According to GQ, cuffs don't belong to flat-fronts (I prefer to wear flat-fronts because it was the style associated with the 1960s and 1970s), would cuffs on flat-fronts be okay or a no-no?

6.)Is it okay to wear over-the-rack suits like "Suit Separates" since my chest is 52" (Long) with 58" waist? If not, since I've saved almost $8,500 would MTM be better?