Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Master-Classter, Sep 28, 2008.

1. onix

onix Senior member

He has small shoulders, natural would look even more sloppy.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2011
  2. JubeiSpiegel

JubeiSpiegel Senior member

That helps, thank you. I'll look into Turnbull & Asser. I also read Harvey & Hudson, and Hilditch & Key make a good dress shirt. I will probably look into all 3 of them then.

3. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

4. KObalto

KObalto Senior member

Hilditch and Key has an on-line sale right now, I believe.

5. CDHagg

CDHagg Senior member

The best advice I can give you is to go to a store in person and try on blazers. If you order online, you can't be sure of getting a blazer that fits you perfectly, and the fit is pretty much the most important aspect of a jacket (or any other item of clothing, for that matter). There are a lot of good labels out there, but I won't mention any because I don't really have the first-hand experience to be making specific reccomendations.

Go to Saks, Bloomingdales, Nordstrom, Barneys, or other high-end department stores, and you'll be sure to find a blazer or two that fits well and hits under the $700 mark. Stay away from low-end department stores like Macys and J.C. Penny, as those typically do not carry respected clothing labels.

Oh, and unless this blazer is for very casual occasions, you should get a canvassed, not fused, wool blazer. If you don't know the difference between "canvassed" and "fused," do a quick search. Also, search for "pinch test."

6. cptjeff

cptjeff Senior member

Canvassed versus fused has nothing to do with formality, just build quality. And fused stuff is better than it used to be.

7. CDHagg

CDHagg Senior member

What I meant was that he should get a wool blazer, not a casual unstructured cotton or polyester blazer, as wool is the most "formal" and can be used in both casual and dressy situations. Then, in the same sentence, I exhorted him to go with a canvassed blazer, not a fused blazer, as drycleaning causes puckering in fused jackets.

Sorry for the ambiguous sentence. [​IMG]

8. shiftyc

shiftyc New Member

I'm new here but sorry if this get asked alot. I'm going to a wedding overseas.. and I'm going to be wearing a light blue dress shirt and black dress pants. Whaat is a good matching tie? Solid colors? Patterns? I read and searched that a navy tie would be a good option.

Thanks.

9. ethanm

ethanm Senior member

People are going to tell you not to wear a tie without a jacket. Fair warning.

10. JubeiSpiegel

JubeiSpiegel Senior member

I won't pester you about wearing at least a jacket, but since you mention it as an important detail, what country is the wedding taking place? Might help to establish the level of formality needed. To answer your question, a solid navy tie will be fine, texture or with a pattern but no added colors. It's more formal.

11. Van Veen

Van Veen Senior member

Don't wear a tie without a jacket. It gives the impression "I really don't want to be dressed up, but I had to, so here's my G-D tie."

If you insist on wearing a tie: You are wearing black and blue. It's not that difficult to match. Three small things: 1. Stick with a matte tie rather than a shiny tie. 2. If you wear a navy tie, it should not be very dark (too close to black). 3. Wear a tie bar. (It's really the only way to make this look intentional.)

12. shiftyc

shiftyc New Member

Hm I didn't know that, guess I'll avoid wearing a tie then. Thanks for the advice. Also, the wedding is in Hong Kong. The last time I been to a wedding (It was in HK in the summer), I looked like a waiter. I didn't want to make teh same mistake again.

13. PTailored

PTailored New Member

Hello, Im new on here but I was wondering if anyone have some of the Polo Ralph Lauren Crested blazers for sale in a size Small or 38R or know where i can find them, there are various type of these blazers and its a particular 3 that Im looking for. They all come in navy blue. I would really appreciate the help

14. CutandSew

CutandSew Senior member

15. LWNagel

LWNagel Member

Just got a pair of gray shoes with light brown laces...they look like Oxfords to me but hell if I can tell. Anyway, what color socks/belt for these? Thinking slacks or denim pants.