Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Master-Classter, Sep 28, 2008.

1. stevent

stevent Senior member

2. UncleCozy

UncleCozy Senior member

Isn't it Astor & Black bespoke mostly?

3. Cedric

Cedric Senior member

Question:

I have a black 54L Canali 3 button suit, from Harry Rosen
    I was wondering if it will be possible, (assuming the tailor is great at what he does) to resize it to a size 52?
    Have any of you guys ever done such?

I just dont want to risk it with that suit and ruin it

Please advise.

Thanks

4. Kid Nickels

Kid Nickels Senior member

ya "mostly"...like 55% "bespoke"... the other 95% is total shite

5. ethanm

ethanm Senior member

Does anybody ever look at SW&D WAYWRN and get depressed that they encourage each other to dress like $1,000 hobos?

6. onix

onix Senior member

I did, 2 years ago.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2011

7. HerkFE

HerkFE New Member

How much shoulder rise is acceptable in a suit?

My only suit purchases have been custom Tailored suits done for me while stationed in Korea.

Those suits have reached their end of life and I am now exploring OTR suits. I find that any moderate elevation in arm height leads to me looking like a Zombie in Michael Jacksons thriller video.

Is this normal with all OTR suits? Is my body type just awkward and I require a custom tailored suit to keep normal arm mobility??

8. VLSI

VLSI Senior member

What's the secret to fastening the anchor button? The one on my peacoat faces inward and there doesn't seem to be any easy way to button it up.

9. mlg321

mlg321 Well-Known Member

About to buy them, should I size down with Sperrys? I wear an 11 in sneakers and my Clark's desert boots are a 10 and they fit nice.

10. KObalto

KObalto Senior member

I believe Mason just makes shirting fabric. I've had Pink shirts and they are not worth the monet. Turnbull and Asser is said to make a very good shirt. I have some Jay Kos shirts made at the same factory and they are quite nice. They're very pricey.

11. CDHagg

CDHagg Senior member

Too much padding in the shoulders, but that can't be changed. It doesn't look terrible, but it doesn't look sharp, either.

12. CDHagg

CDHagg Senior member

Psyco Bunny makes good scarves. So does Pantherella.

Check out ParkandBond.com. They have a good selection of stuff.

You could also go to a department store like Saks, Bloomingdales, or Nordstrom, to be able to feel and handle the scarves before purchasing.

13. CDHagg

CDHagg Senior member

If you'd like to look trendy, go with a navy peacoat or a slim, single-breasted camel coat.

14. CDHagg

CDHagg Senior member

I have a jacket that is too big in the shoulders, and my tailor said he could make the shoulders smaller (although I didn't take him up on the offer due to price considerations). I've seen some pretty amazing things come out of a good tailor's shop, so if your tailor is reputable and experienced he just might be able to accomplish a complete downsize. Keep in mind, though, that no outcome can be guaranteed, even by the tailor.

15. CDHagg

CDHagg Senior member

If raising your arms just a small distance causes the shoulders of the jacket to raise also, then the arm holes are too big. This is a problem you will find with almost all OTR suits. They are made so that even very large men can wear them, because that means more profit potential for the manufacturer. No, your body is normal-you aren't fat.

I don't believe that a tailor can alter the size of the arm hole. Check out Ralph Lauren Black Label, as those suits have higher arm holes than most. Also, I'd highly reccomend going to a high-end department store (Saks, Bloomingdales) to try on suits, because that's the only way to ensure that the suit you buy will actually fit.

If you go with OTR suits, you'll have to be content with a little "shoulder rise." Just try to keep the rise under 2 inches with your arms at 45 degrees.