1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Master-Classter, Sep 28, 2008.

1. aglass

aglass Well-Known Member

2. M4rtin

M4rtin Active Member

About to go buy a suit from Z Zegna.
    I'm 171cm and it's 38R, is the jacket good size for me, or is it too long ?

[​IMG]

3. kindofyoung

kindofyoung Senior member

Not sure if the whole thing is too long, but you will need to shorten the sleeves should you choose to buy it.
    Also needs higher quality photos and more of them:
    -around the chest-area
    -from neck to waist

seems like it's creasing in the chest, especially on the right side (your right side, my left one)

4. dragon8

dragon8 Senior member

A back shot would also help

5. dragon8

dragon8 Senior member

I'd stick with a nice white crisp shirt

6. cptjeff

cptjeff Senior member

The soles don't look all that worn to me. Yeah, they're scuffed, but that's normal. You'll have a better sense when they arrive.

Just wear them as is, I think. You would want to put topys on a fresh sole anyway, the grit and uneven wear on a sole makes putting them on old soles less than ideal. Besides, I don't believe in them. Leather soles have a distinct feel, and topys destroy that. Leather soles aren't evil, don't be afraid of them.

That's a good price for those shoes. They're nice ones, and in great shape. As for care, use shoe trees, polish and condition regularly, and you'll be fine.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2012
  7. inimitable

inimitable Senior member

Can anyone identify the manufacturer?

[​IMG]

8. facet

facet Senior member

I was looking at getting a plain toe suede blucher for the summer and for when dressing more casually (jeans or khaki's with a polo) and was thinking of going with J&M's Headley as the price is right. It would be for pretty informal events (going out for dinner, church etc). Any opinions on chocolate vs taupe for versatility?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. Sanguis Mortuum

Sanguis Mortuum Senior member

Well, the chocolate would certainly be the more versatile of the two, though that's not to say you shouldn't get the taupe which would still be pretty versatile with casual-wear.

10. kindofyoung

kindofyoung Senior member

Dunno which one would be more versatile, but I'd choose these ones any day

11. nttdocomo

nttdocomo Senior member

Would anyone care to help me on this? :)

12. eddys

eddys New Member

13. Saturdays

Saturdays Senior member

14. stratton

stratton New Member

My girlfriend, and soon to be wife, doesn't think the PS and the tie is a good combo. I would love your opinions on this.

[​IMG]

(The colors are a bit off, the blazer is navy and the PS is pink with blue dots, the color of the tie is fairly accurate with dark and light blue stripes)

15. Dark Knot

Dark Knot Senior member Affiliate Vendor

Most online retailers that are not considered luxury will sell what they claim to be pure silk ties for under $50. However, what you want to look for are detail specifications that ensure that the tipping (triangular portion on the back of the tie at the bottom) is also pure silk, as these can often be made with polyester. Additionally, you want to see if the interlining of the tie is woolen or a double layer that is one layer cotton and one layer woolen. Most ties that are $20-$30 in the market and are sold as '100% pure silk' refer to the body of the tie, not the tipping. Also, these ties are usually interlined with polyester, and often not with a double layer of cotton or wool (which help maintain the shape of the tie and ultimately result in a better knot). If you can find a retailer out there that is selling silk ties for under $50 with strong interlining and strong tipping, you've found yourself a good deal.

If you can't get those specifications, then you shouldn't be spending anymore than $30 max, and ideally around $20.

16. Kabir

Kabir New Member

Hi Folks,

I travel to main fashion streets all over the world I really appreciate men's clothing.

I would like to ask if I can hire someone choose me my wardrobe and help me with new clothing and style so is it possible to get someone like that and do it within a budget.

Thanks

17. TM79

TM79 Senior member

X-Post from BB sale thread but more traffic here and more relevant here:

I'm still having navy blazer dilemmas. Narrowed it down to these:

http://www.ctshirts.com/men's-outer...ed-fit-blazer?q=2fsbi4||BL038NAV|||||||||||||

http://www.brooksbrothers.com/IWCat...t_by=newArrivals&sectioncolor=&sectionsize=40 Long#null

http://www.parkandbond.com/product/101490614

http://www.brooksbrothers.com/IWCat...t_by=newArrivals&sectioncolor=&sectionsize=40 Long

If anyone can provide some feedback that would be a big help. They're all within my budget so I'm really just looking to hear which one would be the best fit and quality for a navy blazer that I can wear around an office that is mostly business casual (only Senior VP's wear suits daily).

Edit: I guess the links got chopped? The 2 BB's I posted at the Fitzgerald blazer in navy and the 1818 blazer in navy.

This one would be a slight budget stretch but it's manageable: http://www.parkandbond.com/product/112524204

18. Sanguis Mortuum

Sanguis Mortuum Senior member

There are a few image/style consultants on here, though I personally find the idea preposterous.

19. TM79

TM79 Senior member

Use this forum as your fashion consultant. Try things on in stores, take pics, post pics, get feedback. Repeat until you have knowledge.

And that's free.

1 person likes this.
  20. dufferin1

dufferin1 Senior member

+1 . Before I came on here it was always about the name of the brand, now I've discovered smaller companies like Kent Wang, Howard Yount and many more. Most people on here want/try to help with questions you have and I hate to say it..but they're brutally honest but that's how I've been learning.