1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Master-Classter, Sep 28, 2008.

1. painter

painter New Member

I love watches and in particular the brand nixon for various reason but was wondering if this is too flashy? Is there any situations where wearing a watch like this would 'work'? Its the Nixon 51-30 Tide Gold. Also im 20 years old if that makes any difference.
    Thanks!!
    [​IMG]

2. snowboardpunk

snowboardpunk Senior member

Ok so I have a question, I bought a pair of magnanni's at nordstrom rack. they are double monks. I really like the shoes except that they have rubber soles. I generally like leather soles better and just the way they feel when you walk, but was also wondering should i be worried at all? since i did hear that leather soles are basically more formal, so did i buy a cheap pair of shoes? I paid 180 for these, do you guys think theres any better options for double monks around 200 dollars? I do need them to be black.
    [​IMG]

3. Sanguis Mortuum

Sanguis Mortuum Senior member

Several online MTM places (ModernTailor, TailorStore, etc) are as cheap as $50 depending on fabric (maybe closer to $60 when you factor in postage etc).

4. willmc

willmc Member

Is there any consensus of the best MTM shirt make? looking to spend 50-100, and I'm just overwhelmed with Proper Cloth vs. J Hilburn vs. everything custom shirt maker...I'll be in NYC this summer as well and I don't mind waiting. These are for business wear, so I'll prob just get white/light blue. thanks.

5. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

6. TheloniusDrunk

TheloniusDrunk Senior member

So I'm slowly building up my wardrobe. It's mainly casual, college setting. I want to get to a point where most days it's trousers, dress shirt/casual shirt, and a sport coat. Also in the winter add a sweater in there. So I'm looking for a lot of versatility.

Pretend I'm starting from scratch on my trousers. I have a pair of gray ones right now and I'm looking to buy two more. I'm thinking about these http://www.epauletshop.com/servlet/the-1105/Slim-Walt-Trouser-Brown/Detail from epaulet, and for my second pair I'm considering a pair from HowardYount but in the time I've been looking around and the time I've posted this, all the Navy pants have gone out in my size (34). I was considering: http://www.howardyount.com/collections/wool-pants/products/nailhead-wool-pants-navy.

Suggestions? Advice?

7. 12345Michael54321

12345Michael54321 Senior member

You say it's a mainly casual, college setting? Then there's really no need to drop $175-185 per pair for your pants. I mean, if the money doesn't matter much to you, that's fine. But honestly, given the setting you describe, a pair of $35 chinos would go perfectly well with the dress/casual shirt you mention. And if you want to throw in a sweater, still no problem. A sport coat? Well, sport coat and chinos isn't my favorite combination, but there's certainly nothing terribly wrong with it.

I mean, if most of the guys at this college will be wearing shorts or jeans, and t-shirt or sweatshirt, even chinos and an OCBD is likely to leave you at the top of the sartorial pecking order.

'Course, if you're faculty, that's another story. Well, maybe. Not necessarily though. But you didn't actually indicate whether you're student or faculty.

(On those relatively few occasions when I've lectured at a college, I've worn suit and tie. Then again, I'm comfortable in a suit and tie. Being at ease with how you're dressed is fundamental to looking your best; nobody looks his best when he feels like he's wearing a costume. And the fact that on the first such occasion the professor whose class I was addressing was in jeans and a polo shirt, really didn't matter to me.)
    --
    Michael

Last edited: Jun 4, 2012
  8. david3558

david3558 Senior member

Hey I recently had to go through the same process (well, more like last two years). I had great fitting jeans but never got around to finding great fitting pants.

Honestly, the Epaulet Walts were fantastic - they were so good that I ended up buying 3 pairs in different fabrics. The quality is great and Mike carries different fabrics, I just love that stuff! I'd totally grab a pair of those first and see how they work, you may end up doing the same. I'd pick Navy to start though, it's rather versatile.

9. jamesemile

jamesemile New Member

Not sure if this is the right spot for this questionn but I'll give it a go.

I saw someone with a pair of monk shoes that had buttons instead of buckles on them. Leather looked intentionally distressed but not trashed. Does anyone have any idea who makes that shoe or a similar one? I don't really like the monks buckle but the buttons were so interesting!

Thanks!

10. Smudge

Smudge Senior member

Can anyone help me identify these Florsheim Longwings? I thrifted them yesterday for $30 and am wondering if they warrant a post on the "Thrift bragging forum" ;-) . I'm not looking to flip these but would quite like to know what I'm wearing. Many thanks...

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m54c4gkh7f1rxhk4jo1_500.jpg
    http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m54c71mJZG1rxhk4jo1_500.jpg
    http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m54c7xfm3I1rxhk4jo1_500.jpg
    http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m54cbrB8BT1rxhk4jo1_500.jpg

11. cptjeff

cptjeff Senior member

Burgundy shell, I'm pretty sure. Probably early 80's, not too long before they went fully downmarket. Nice find.

12. ballmouse

ballmouse Senior member

While those Florsheims are probably fine, the Florsheim shoes most people on SF are talking about are Florsheim Imperials or Florsheim Royal Imperials, which are a better line of shoe.

13. Smudge

Smudge Senior member

Thanks Ballmouse, do you have any idea what line of Florsheim these are, is the blue oval a clue?

Thanks Cptjeff, I hope you are right :)

14. cptjeff

cptjeff Senior member

The entry level of the vintage florsheims at least matches the best US made shoes today. Those may not match the level of some of the vintage florsheims that show up here, but they're still on the level of AE or Alden, and certainly worth 30 bucks. Unless I'm wrong and that leather is corrected grain rather than shell.

Then they went downmarket and became the sad shadow of their former selves they are today. Better than just dying, I suppose.

Edit:

Yes. "The Florsheim Shoe"= their standard line. They also had "Imperial Florsheim" and "Royal Imperial Florsheim" (or maybe it was just Royal Imperial?). Anyway, that's the basic grade, which is still pretty nice. The higher grades will have a green oval and green stitching inside the shoe.

Of course, they tweaked things over the years, so there's a lot of variance and I couldn't pretend to walk you through it all. But that black sockliner is a newer design, the old ones are brown and have the shield logo, and often have no origin statement (made before those laws were passed).

15. ethanm

ethanm Senior member

Is it? I feel like the original owners and shoemakers would be disgusted.

16. cptjeff

cptjeff Senior member

Perhaps, but they fill a niche. The modern imperials are probably the best constructed $200ish shoe on the market these days, though they are corrected grain.

17. Kid Nickels

Kid Nickels Senior member

ya thanks Sanguis.. there is another one here in the States that SFers have often recommended but the name is escaping me at the moment. And there are always international tailors as well.... most of mine are made in HK.

18. zerostyle

zerostyle Senior member

Anyone have a recommendation for a brown moc-toe style shoe that's NOT a split-toe? < $300. Allen edmonds doesn't seem to have many options that I can find.

Looking for a lace-up shoe, not a loafer.

Would love something like this: [​IMG], but it's $600 !

1 person likes this.