• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

NOBD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by PPB
Sigh...I guess I deserved that sarcastic snit. I didn't take the time to properly word the question so I guess I offended your fragile sensibilities.

In no way do I think that generalization of Europeans is accurate. I simply want to know if there are forum members who practice that approach to fashion and how they deal with wardrobe maintenance issues.

Once again, I apologize to anyone who was offended by the post.

Not offended. Amused. What more have you often heard?

NightSky72

Reaction score
I have an annoying problem related to finding clothing. I am a very small, slim individual (5' 4'') and am trying to find a nice winter coat. I'm not keen on specific terms, but I'm trying to upgrade my wardrobe a bit and have been looking into "pea coats". However, a SMALL is even too large for me. I turned to shopping online to actually find smalls in what I want, but I've been seeing sizes such as "regular". How am I supposed to shop being such a small individual? I understand that alterations will probably be necessary. I would greatly appreciate any suggestions.

JeffR

Reaction score
Where did this
ffffuuuu.gif
icon come from? Where can I get a desktop size version of this icon?

dmash

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by NightSky72
I have an annoying problem related to finding clothing. I am a very small, slim individual (5' 4'') and am trying to find a nice winter coat. I'm not keen on specific terms, but I'm trying to upgrade my wardrobe a bit and have been looking into "pea coats". However, a SMALL is even too large for me. I turned to shopping online to actually find smalls in what I want, but I've been seeing sizes such as "regular". How am I supposed to shop being such a small individual? I understand that alterations will probably be necessary. I would greatly appreciate any suggestions.
Japanese brands would cater to you while still remaining high in quality with the right brands. In SW&D type clothing, I know some Japanese brands XL is like a slim Medium in US brands.

PPB

Reaction score
Originally Posted by NOBD
Not offended. Amused. What more have you often heard?

Well, I'm glad I amused you as opposed to offending you (no sarcasm meant). Your question would lead me to believe otherwise but in either case can we just move on? I joined the forum to get some insight on fashion and I'm not interested in engaging in casual banter about other topics.

NOBD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You're right. Let's get back to the original question.

Originally Posted by PPB
It is often said the most Europeans hardly ever wash their clothes and have a small wardrobe consisting of 2-3 complete outfits that they would repeatedly wear during the week.

Does anyone share this view of fashion and how do you deal with issues like ring around the collar, bad odor, and fabric deterioration.

NightSky72

Reaction score
Any specific Japanese brands you suggest, in terms of good quality coats?

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by airportlobby
Does anyone know of an older store called "Saddles?" I keep finding old OCBDs from this store. What happened to it?

From 1986.

- B

pistolero

Reaction score
Does Lambswool shrink when washed? I know dry cleaning is preferred, but the piece in question (a cardigan) is washable, and a tad large for me, so I wouldn't mind if it shrunk a bit. Just curious.

Thanks.

dmash

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How do Sutor Mantellassi shoes fit?

dmash

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
The ones that are not your size fit poorly. - B
........I meant generally speaking....as if I'm an 8.5 on a scale, would I be an 8.5 in Sutors?

CunningSmeagol

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dmash1080
........I meant generally speaking....as if I'm an 8.5 on a scale, would I be an 8.5 in Sutors?

There are reviews on STP. I like to read the ones from Conservative, yet Stylish, High-end shoppers, as they tend to know what they are talking about. People like this guy:

Describe Yourself:
Conservative, High-end shopper, Stylish
Sizing:
Feels true to size
Width:
Feels true to width
Bottom Line:
Yes, I would recommend this to a friend
Comments:
Well made shoes, as to be expected from Sutor Mantellassi. However I am a bit disappointed with the quality of the suede. The suede has almost no nap, perhaps would have been better characterized as nubuck. Also I think the design would have looked better with two eyelets instead of three. Nevertheless, if you like the design, it's a pair of boots that will last a long time.

nakokoro

Reaction score
I'm sure this is covered somewhere, but I couldn't find it...
Anyone know of resources that teach on how to shorten (buttondown) shirts? I would like to cut down on current and future expenses, since most shirts tend to be long. Thanks.

deveandepot1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by nakokoro
I'm sure this is covered somewhere, but I couldn't find it...
Anyone know of resources that teach on how to shorten (buttondown) shirts? I would like to cut down on current and future expenses, since most shirts tend to be long. Thanks.

Why not just take it to a tailor? It is like $10.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads